Starstrike: NS 2D!

1235»

Comments

• BlizzerdBlizzerd Join Date: 2009-10-23 Member: 69119Members
    edited October 2009
    i am, i enjoyed it but i like to see some proper enemy AI in though, the enemy does not upgrade his troops or attack

how is that release where you can modify the AI coming along? also mapping? will that work one day?

edit: i would suggest renaming the game slightly, since an old and popular atari game, a new game and something concerning surface to space rocket platforms are named the same
  • BlizzerdBlizzerd Join Date: 2009-10-23 Member: 69119Members
    edited October 2009
    i tweaked the Marine AI to be a bit more aggressive and make more use of heavy armor and jetpacks

<a href="http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1415325/AI.rar" target="_blank">http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1415325/AI.rar</a>

(unzip in AI folder)

currently i have some issues to report, maybe they are fixed by the next version;

-Aliens have crappy path finding and targeting code
    i dont know why, but aliens are sometimes really dodgy while attacking, sometimes they just stand still and get shot to death, or run past there targets

-Aliens creatures are very underpowered late game
    agreed, in natural selection, the aliens have a small disadvantage late game, but against a good AI, it is almost impossible to win as aliens, due to the fact that bases full of turrets and with some siege cannons are extremely hard to break,
    alien upgrades cost WAY more in time and resources to get fully equipped, and some of the alien species are next to useless (lerk)
    my suggestions on this field:

i suggest buffing all alien creatures in one way or the other
    also i suggest adding a more complex field of vieuw system that takes into account the size of a creature (the bigger, the further away it will be spotted, skulk for example will not be spotted unless really close, heavy armor marine or onos can be seen coming far further ahead)

the Onos is too slow and dies too quickly, i suggest making them ether a bit faster or able to take a LOT more damage, his attack is pretty good could even be made a little less if needed
    the fade is pretty well balanced, but he really needs his "blink" working properly
    the lerk is useless, i suggest making it fly over anything (cannot be blocked by buildings) and make it dodge (ignore damage from) more bullets dependant on range (to simulate its hard to hit when its flying) so its more for unique situations (getting trough sentry gun walls blocking the only passage for example)
    the skulk is kinda the main unit early game, i suggest making it more interesting, you could add the kamikaze ability to make them more powerful and interesting late game

-i would like stances to order your aliens, for example sometimes it is best to make them chase there enemies only limitedly before returning to the spot you left them, or sometimes its best to order a gorgue to build instead of fire at the enemy

-i also suggest adding a (small) research tree for the aliens because it is kinda a way duller race then the marines in this field
  • AgentAgent Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26330Members, Constellation
    Thanks for the feedback Blizzerd,

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Aliens have crappy path finding and targeting code<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The pathfinding is identical to the marines, but their destinations are chosen a little haphazardly. This needs work; at the moment they move to the spot they first saw their target to start biting him, even if by the time the alien gets there, the target has moved on. When they get there and there's nothing to eat, they stop, scan, and run to the new location of the target. This has the undesired effect of causing aliens to overshoot their targets when approaching for a meal. Having them constantly scan each step of the way is a large CPU drain, but I'll come up with something better for a future release.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Aliens creatures are very underpowered late game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That depends; by themselves, all aliens are pretty weak against a squad of marines, but this is the case in NS as well. If you can get a couple of aliens evolved to higher forms like fade and onos, the marines will have a tough time doing anything effective outside of their own security zone. It might still be hard to break in, but again that's the case in NS as well and is an intentional part of the endgame.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i suggest buffing all alien creatures in one way or the other<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is on the cards. At the moment only three of the five alien lifeforms have only one ability each (Skulk has leap, Gorge has healspray and Fade has blink). By the final release of Starstrike, we'll have three alternate abilities for each lifeform, as in NS. Their usefulness, especially the lerk, will be far more apparent when they have all of their abilities.

Continued in next post (ran out of quotes)...
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the Onos is too slow and dies too quickly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Onos is actually pretty quick once he has three Movement Chambers backing him up. It depends on the map a lot, too, wide open spaces won't help any of the alien lifeforms, most of whom depend on getting up close to gain effectiveness. Remember that NS is full of long corridors as well as wide open rooms to allow for a balance of combat power. Still, balance issues such as this will be ironed out over several releases of course.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the fade is pretty well balanced, but he really needs his "blink" working properly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't understand this one - as far as I'm concerned his blink is working just fine. What's the problem you're observing here?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the lerk is useless<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I know. Even in NS, his strength lies in Spore Cloud and Umbra, which he doesn't have in Starstrike (yet). As I said above, once all the lifeforms have all their abilities, the whole game balance will change.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i suggest making it fly over anything ... and make it dodge ... more bullets dependant on range ... so its more for unique situations<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, I always intended the lerk to have special maneuvering abilities. I plan to include vents in a future release, through which only skulks, lerks and jetpack marines can move. Lerks can already fly over mines without detonating them. I'm considering allowing them to pass over buildings as well, but I haven't decided on that one yet (it'll cause UI issues if a lerk lands on a building... which unit are you clicking on?).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the skulk is kinda the main unit early game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Naturally; so they are in NS. Again, when he has all his abilities he'll be more interesting.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-i would like stances to order your aliens<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have been contemplating ways to implement this for a while. I'm looking for the best way to control stances; I want the player to have the ability to tell aliens to hold position, attack if attacked, or retreat if attacked. I also want the ability to toggle the gorge from healspray while under attack, to attack while under attack, and the same applies to marines with welders and marines with build orders. I want to toggle marine behaviour between attack while under attack, weld while under attack, or build while under attack. I'll put something together in a future release for this.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-i also suggest adding a (small) research tree for the aliens<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not sure about this one. It falls outside the realm of NS and I don't want to stray too far from the original game. The aliens will be spruced up in a future release by adding all of their abilities, and you'll see a strong change in gameplay then.

So, here are the abilities each lifeform has in NS and what my plans are for them in SS:

Skulk Bite: The bite is already implemented as the Skulk primary attack, and is sure to remain.
    Skulk Leap: Leap is already implemented and I intend to keep it.
    Skulk Parasite: Won't be difficult to implement, I'm fairly sure Parasite will be making an appearance in a future release.
    Skulk Suicide: Not sure about this one. What works in 3D might be overpowered in 2D. I'll probably throw it in and see if it works, and remove it later if necessary.

Gorge Spit: Already the Gorge's primary attack, and will probably remain.
    Gorge Healspray: Already implemented and certain to stay.
    Gorge Bile Bomb: Should be easy to implement, will surely make an appearance in a future release.
    Gorge Web: Not so easy to implement. I'm not sure if this one will be showing its face in Starstrike, we'll see.
    Gorge Babbler(!): I'm don't know what clown at UW invented this ability but it's hilarious :) It'll probably make an appearance as an easter egg in Starstrike because it's fun, but I doubt it'll survive as a serious ability.

Lerk Bite/Spike: Dunno about this one. Both attacks exist in game but the Spike is the one currently in use. I haven't decided yet which attack the Lerk will keep, but once he has all his other abilities the spike will probably win.
    Lerk Spore Cloud: Definitely will make the final cut. This is intended to be the lerk's primary attack in Starstrike.
    Lerk Umbra: Definitely, and it will be a defensive move, but the mechanic might change (60% less damage taken by anything in the cloud, rather than actually blocking 60% of bullets entering the cloud - easier to implement).

Fade Blink: Already implemented and sure to stay.
    Fade Metabolize: Not sure about this one. Energy works differently in SS than it does in NS (one ability use costs 100% of energy and can't be used unless the energy bar is completely full) so I'll have to think about this mechanic. I want to include it, but I don't know the best way to implement it. We'll see.
    Fade Acid Rocket: Might be overpowered in a 2D game; I want to include it but it might have to be a bit like the lerk's spikes - long range, small damage. We'll see.

Onos Devour: This is unlikely to make it in SS. I think it'll be far too powerful in SS since the problem of aiming is removed in a 2D game. We'll see.
    Onos Stomp: We'll definitely see stomp in some form in SS, and it'll be a paralyzing attack same as in NS.
    Onos Charge: We'll probably see charge, but it won't be a damaging attack, it'll just be a rush. Mechanically, it'll be the same as leap and blink.
  • sondersonder Join Date: 2007-09-12 Member: 62266Members
    Can we play this game in multiplayer soon?
    I definitely want to add a multiplayer mode in a future release, but it's going to be a major job to implement as the game was not designed at the outside with multiplayer in mind. Because it's going to be a big job, I want to finish up as much of the core game first before I begin working on multiplayer code, because after I start working on multiplayer it'll be harder to implement any core mechanic changes. The short answer is that it's coming, but not at the top of the to do list just yet.
    Hey everyone, just checking in and looking to see if anybody else has been playing the game. Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I'm always looking for feedback!
    Bump after thread inactivity. Still trying to get the word out there about Starstrike :)
  • TheBlindParagoNTheBlindParagoN Norfolk, VA Join Date: 2020-12-23 Member: 266269Members
    Does anyone still have this or know where to find it?