Alpha/Beta game release

slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">A question for us mappers</div>The Standard Edition buyers are allowed to the tools and beta game. Special Edition buyers are allowed to the tools and alpha game.

I don't know what comes with the alpha version of the game, but getting to my point, will everyone get a playable walk-around version of the game at the same time for anyone that has pre-ordered?

I have the standard edition bought and I want to be able to walk around my level as a marine and skulk to see how it looks in-game. I really do not want to have to wait until a beta is released just to do this.

Comments

• WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    We don't know yet, but I'd imagine standard orders will at least get a "playable" way to test their maps similar to UE3's "play from here" feature. It let you walk around/shoot and that was about it. Being able to experience your map first hand is pretty vital, so I don't see them side stepping it.
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    Players = Mappers.
    Specials get alpha, Standards get beta.

I've been nurturing my common sense for a couple years now, and she's been pretty rewarding thus far.
  • VendicatorVendicator Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43805Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1742225:date=Dec 2 2009, 10:25 PM:name=GDWhite)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GDWhite @ Dec 2 2009, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Players = Mappers.

I've been nurturing my common sense for a couple years now, and she's been pretty rewarding thus far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would have to agree with this one. With the limited resources and man power that they have to create this game. I see not much of a reason for them to worry about giving standard buyers a "walk around" version. I would imagine them rather spending their time giving the alpha to the special buyers, and work on getting to that beta stage quickly by fixing bugs and editing content. I for one would rather wait to walk around my map with a version I can utilize all the features of the game than to have one where all i do is walk around.

Yes, being able to move about your map is crucial, but one part of testing your map will still require more than just walking around. Especially considering wall climbing, and jet packs, and entities that are placed around the map that at one point you may have to test out. Or simply having more than one player running around.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    Anyway, if you're that interested in finishing a map--a month long project at the least--throw down another twenty. It's not that big a deal is it?
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1742225:date=Dec 3 2009, 01:25 PM:name=GDWhite)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GDWhite @ Dec 3 2009, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Players = Mappers.

I've been nurturing my common sense for a couple years now, and she's been pretty rewarding thus far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This guy nailed it, if you bought the standard edition you will have to wait for beta to have a playable build of NS2
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1742217:date=Dec 3 2009, 03:12 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slayer20 @ Dec 3 2009, 03:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Standard Edition buyers are allowed to the tools and beta game. Special Edition buyers are allowed to the tools and alpha game.

I don't know what comes with the alpha version of the game, but getting to my point, will everyone get a playable walk-around version of the game at the same time for anyone that has pre-ordered?

I have the standard edition bought and I want to be able to walk around my level as a marine and skulk to see how it looks in-game. I really do not want to have to wait until a beta is released just to do this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats how capitalism work. if you cant afford it gtfo :)

if they would release anything playable for standardusers, they would risk the trust of everyone who payed the extrafee for alpha access like me :)

but, honestly, they dont have to care about, because most ppl buyed the special edition, so capitalism wins again :)
  • muffinsmuffins Join Date: 2004-05-12 Member: 28638Awaiting Authorization, Constellation
    My guess is

Alpha - Special Edition Pre-orders

Beta - Standard Pre-orders
  • VendicatorVendicator Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43805Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1742409:date=Dec 4 2009, 10:14 AM:name=muffins)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(muffins @ Dec 4 2009, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742409"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My guess is

Alpha - Special Edition Pre-orders

Beta - Standard Pre-orders<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what the hell gave you THAT idea?! *rolls eyes*
  • Risky SalmonRisky Salmon Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67680Members
    Makes sense. Last thing UW wants would be a ton of diehard fans saying 'I might as well have brought the Standard Edition'.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1742479:date=Dec 5 2009, 02:12 AM:name=Risky Salmon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Risky Salmon @ Dec 5 2009, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Makes sense. Last thing UW wants would be a ton of diehard fans saying 'I might as well have brought the Standard Edition'.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The thing I was think was that Standard and Special Edition people would both receive a walk-around version of the game. Then at a later time, Special Edition people would receive updates for the actual game, like structure placement, upgrades, etc etc.
    <!--quoteo(post=1742480:date=Dec 5 2009, 02:13 PM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slayer20 @ Dec 5 2009, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing I was think was that Standard and Special Edition people would both receive a walk-around version of the game. Then at a later time, Special Edition people would receive updates for the actual game, like structure placement, upgrades, etc etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure walking around would be handy, but the fact of the matter is you still can't really test your map properly unless you have everything in there. That includes structures, hives, team locations etc.
    Moving around the map would be good, but only good to determine if you can reach a certain platform by jumping or how fast you can reach the other side, you can't really base your maps off that alone.

I think what UWE is trying to do here is to give the level editor out just so we can learn how to use it and learn some good mapping tricks. Making a whole new map isn't a bad thing, its awesome to see that kind of progress, but the fact is when the alpha/beta comes to our hands, we're going to look back at our levels and probably rethink the way they are layed out. I could imagine myself remaking the map from scratch to work properly with the new gameplay elements.

Thats just a thought though.
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2009
    <a href="http://twitter.com/NS2/status/6001947309" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/NS2/status/6001947309</a>
    <a href="http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy" target="_blank">http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1742531:date=Dec 5 2009, 10:58 PM:name=trinity.ns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(trinity.ns @ Dec 5 2009, 10:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://twitter.com/NS2/status/6001947309" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/NS2/status/6001947309</a>
    <a href="http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy" target="_blank">http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That Twitter quote is only related to the pre alpha tools, which mean the level editor. Surely not the alpha of the game itself.