Suggestion for the Spark editor

Comments

• RyuuRyuu Join Date: 2009-08-19 Member: 68531Members
    edited November 2009
    My only gripe is that the Edit bar keeps appearing whenever I use Select/move/scale/rotate, which shifts and rearranges all the viewports. It's very annoying, is there an option to turn it off?
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    tested a bit, great tool and also good tutorial.

suggestions:

- maybe a hint when youre line has variation (sometimes its hard to see when you have like 2mm variation and end up with a crooked wall)
    - dont know if its in already but i missed tooltips or other hints (to enable/disable)

bugs i noticed:

- some crashes (well, normal)
    - flickering and messed up textures here and then
    - textures sometimes will not be added to objects, nothing happens when using the texture tab
  • checksumchecksum Join Date: 2008-07-21 Member: 64678Members
    edited November 2009
    a format painter like in word, excel etc but for texturing.

also something to reset the view to 0,0,0 like ctrl+e and ctrl+shift+e in hammer.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Autosave. I don't mind the crashes with how fast it loads, but my own idiocy in not saving often is hurting me. >.>
  • Risky SalmonRisky Salmon Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67680Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1739908:date=Nov 25 2009, 08:41 AM:name=Grizzly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grizzly @ Nov 25 2009, 08:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->According to the documentation, it's not implemented yet
    the list of known issues can be find in the "editor manual" file<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can add stuff to layers by selecting the objects then click the tickbox on the layer.
  • NinjaDanNinjaDan Join Date: 2009-11-23 Member: 69478Members
    There is actually an autosave function built in, go to tools>settings>general to configure it.

I would also like a create a face button so i can drag out a face between vertexes, sometimes i end up with a hole in my geometry and apparently no way to create a face on it.
  • MoconnorMoconnor Join Date: 2002-07-26 Member: 1004Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739450:date=Nov 24 2009, 09:33 AM:name=Jimlad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimlad @ Nov 24 2009, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, please include an option for us lot who use reversed mouse in first-person mode! I know it might seem like a silly request, but it makes a fair difference to people who are used to it, and for not very much coding effort.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tools > Settings > General > Camera Settings :D
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    An option to measure things in units would be cool.

(Oh, and the model viewer/compiler to be released so I can get custom assets in game.. :P)
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1740071:date=Nov 25 2009, 10:56 AM:name=jamin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jamin @ Nov 25 2009, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An option to measure things in units would be cool.

(Oh, and the model viewer/compiler to be released so I can get custom assets in game.. :P)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can adjust the measurement... it's in the settings somewhere (saw it the other day).
  • Blue21Blue21 Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67970Members
    This may be down the road a ways but for those people that use dual monitor having a "Live" view window that is separated from the work space would be amazing, that way you can work in an lit perspective so you can see and still be able to see how lighting is working. Could have a few settings options with it too, such as following the lit perspective or having its own position.

This will probably end up being useless when the game is release because if you can window the game you can sit inside the game and use the hot load feature to auto update the game as you edit the map.
  • LaZ3RLaZ3R Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26249Members
    Is there no way of grouping a bunch of floor rectangles together so that when I click the group, everything part of the group is selected?? This was possible in Hammer and was extremely useful in mapping. Is there currently a way to do this? If not, PLEASE add it! :)
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1740078:date=Nov 25 2009, 11:07 AM:name=LaZ3R)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LaZ3R @ Nov 25 2009, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740078"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there no way of grouping a bunch of floor rectangles together so that when I click the group, everything part of the group is selected?? This was possible in Hammer and was extremely useful in mapping. Is there currently a way to do this? If not, PLEASE add it! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    not atm no... but hope so soon myself!
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Im a little distraut that I cant select single triangles.

Also say I select several faces at once that I want to extrude, It will only work on one at a time. Really a pain if I want to make a complicated extrusion.
  • VashmyvindowsVashmyvindows Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67529Members
    I'm really enjoying how dynamic the lighting feels (the last editor I used was Hammer, or actually it was Worldcraft back then...)

Anyway, I have the following suggestions:

1. I'd like to be able to edit multiple lights. It should be so robust as to let you edit all selected lights even if there are some faces and props selected.
    2. When editing a light, pasting RGB values in doesn't work (you have to use the Windows color picker, and don't get me started on Windows' color picker)
    3. I'd like to be able to edit-n-go. To articulate, I'd like to be able to edit the properties of an entity (or entities) and click the next one to move on. Call me a Mac user, but I'm not used to having to hit "Apply" or "OK" anymore. There's no button like that in the property list anyway; currently you have to select a different field for your changes to take effect.
    4. It's been said here a few times, but the ability to extrude multiple faces would be awesome. It's also been said, but drag + shift to duplicate is a staple of many 3d apps and a huge time saver.
    5. There's this constant "jump" when you're switching tools, due to the properties panel appearing and hiding. Though I appreciate the workspace being designed with extreme minimalism in mind, I'd like a more consistent look.

I'm extremely impressed regardless. I haven't felt inspired to make maps since HL1, but you guys have that same magic. Keep up the good work and always look forward.

Dan
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    Three suggestion come to mind.

1) A ruler just like Unreal, it's absolutely essential when it comes to measuring distances to scale some models to fit exactly.

2) Length, width and height numbers to pop up when you drag out a line, rectangle, circle or extrude to tell you exactly how many units you're dragging out, so you don't have to work it out on the grid.
  • AnnihilatorzaAnnihilatorza Join Date: 2007-01-07 Member: 59490Members
    edited November 2009
    Well, there are a few things I would like to have done,

1: Say I want to make a 45 degree ramp, so you make the lines select them and then say make face, 1/2 the time the damn thing will crash on you or just not make the face.
    I would love to be able to create a rectangle and then carve it how I please, I want to be able to make new polygons inside of the others without selcting walls or floors.

2: Please fix the undo button. Crashes a lot of the time.

3: A filter for small, medium and large Props.

4: The ability to delete Vertices with out deleteing the entire face of an object.

5: When you are extruding is there a way not to have black lines, when you are extending a passage way you run into the limit of what you can do, so you have to start again so you end up splitting the face.

6: Be able to extrude to a certain length that you can type in, so like 25m and it will make the passage for you at the length, will making maps if you base them on paper first on use real measurements, so you know before hand how long things will have to be and how big rooms will be.

7: The ability to make a room a certain size so you put in your 3 dimensions and go from there, so 5,5,4 and it makes the room for you.

8: When you are dragging things out on the grid, is there a way to turn off the way it dims the grid, I want to be able to see the major and minor Grid lines.
    Like I like to work From 0.0.0 and now I cant since I cant see where anything interesects.
  • XainXain Join Date: 2007-09-13 Member: 62281Members
    This has prob been stated but if you switch an option in the active viewport, you get like zoomed out from what your working on and its a pain in the ass to go all the way back to it.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I wonder if the skulk size is known or at least if they could release a cube the represent the size of the skulk so i can compare to it when making those vents.
  • NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    dont know if said, but owell..

i like to group items, like i got 4 locker stand side by side, then i want to move them. to make it faster and easyer i like to group them.

There been times with Spark that i like to group or something alike.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - Grouping a bunch of Objects

- Maybe a blueprint feature to load in an image (jpg,png,..) that you can place as concept but is not loaded ingame.

- A Comment/Text feature to place texts only seen in Spark, for example:
    "Here im gonna place that model, when it's finished."
    "This machine works like this when it's triggered: "...."
    Could be friendly, if someone opens your map and wonders how you made something. Or to remind yourself.

- A "Render InGame" Snapshot module, that shows you how exactly it would look like ingame - screenshot wise.

- A window that shows the numbers of all Objects, Textures, Lights, etc. and you can run through them by clicking them, so it shows you where this light is, and what number it has.
    So you can use again a lua trigger as well: "When Trigger#1 is triggered destroy light#25"
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited November 2009
    Spline placement.

As in you can draw a spline and it will place props along it.

Good for long-running pipes. It puts cornerpieces at the right locations and tjuncs at tjuncs, and you can select the prop set to use. Also possibly useful for curved walkways or floor tiles along large areas. Also possibly for vents, if you have some vent geometry you want to duplicate along to make a winding vent, that would help, or at least an 'extrude along spline' ability.

Bonus points if there's a decal version too.
  • ArkArk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68489Members
    edited November 2009
    May aswell post my suggestion again.

1. A way to filter different type of objects, i.e. Lights, Entities, Geometry, Props, etc.
    2. A way to blend two or more textures together, possibly with vertex coloured meshhes or using a alpha-mask on a second UV channel.
    3. A way to disable the specular componemt on a per-light basis.
    4. A way to disable shadows on a per-light basis.
    5. Projection maps for lights.
    6. ASE/OBJ importer to bring in level geometry to the editor from a 3d application.
    7. Possibly a (Directional) Environment light to illuminate large area's.
  • borgkingborgking Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69504Members
    definitly a must have for the engine:
    semi-transparent textures!
    I tried to put a custom glass texture into my map, but well, the engine put my soft dirt into totaly opaque and the glass itselve into totaly invisible, so the intentionaly slightly dirty meant glass looked like shattered.
  • V3GAV3GA Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13704Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    Spark feels great and has a lot of potentials :)

What i like to see is an addition to the wasd keys. wasd keys moves the camera along the cameras local horizontal plane (left, right, forth and back). I would love to have two extra keys for moving up and down.

When positioning the camera it is often needed to move up or down a bit and to do that today (as far as i know anyway) you have to look up or down and then move back or forth. This often takes the object of your focus out of your viewport, and makes it harder to position the camera.

In addition to that it would be nice to be able to configure the keys, (for instance the '[' and ']' is place on the '8' and '9' key (its a danish keyboard) and i would love to be able to move them to a more convenient location)

/Terry
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    Terrain Generator!!!

yeah, I know asking for that is a bit of a longshot.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    A "Point here" option for spot lights, instead of rotating them directly.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1740386:date=Nov 26 2009, 01:40 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rammaj @ Nov 26 2009, 01:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder if the skulk size is known or at least if they could release a cube the represent the size of the skulk so i can compare to it when making those vents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Use the Vent exit/entrance props. As long as your internal vents line up to the dimensions presented there, you should be fine as a workaround in the meantime.
  • borgkingborgking Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69504Members
    due to problems with the line tool and face creation because of staying edges of long removed faces,
    there should be a big "cleanup button" for removing all unattached edges and merging all points on the same position.
    I think that would solve lots of problems I and people I talked to have.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2009
    Okay first off so I don't sound like I'm ungrateful, the editor is awesome. Coolest freaking thing I've used in a long time.
    But small added features for the future could be something like:

* Being able to scroll the Props-list window with the scroll-wheel when hovering over it.

* Hovering the mouse over the tools in the toolstrip should let you see the current hotkey for it in the tooltip.

* Holding a modifier key allowing you to decrease the zoom intensity.

* Splash-screen when you start the editor that can direct you to a forum, basic video tutorials, changelogs and maybe "tip of the day" kind of thing.
    Of course toggable if you want to have it on when you start or not, but this could be useful once the editor goes gold for a larger audience.

* Why can't the 1-9 keys be used for hotkeys? Once you select a field to type into you select a tool instead.

* Ctrl+alt with Move tool duplicates current selection.

* Better recognition on props to surfaces. Pressing out a fresh prop against a flat surface should align its backside to it.

* Selection feature from Maya;
    While holding shift you can add objects to selection or remove from selection.
    Holding ctrl will make you only deselect objects from your current selection.
    Holding ctrl+shift will only add objects to your current selection.
  • LaZ3RLaZ3R Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26249Members
    Not sure if this has been suggested or not but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE:

Make it so that the rectangle tool doesn't automatically create a face...... Do it Hammer style where you lay out the rectangle/circle and when you're happy with the position of it, click something to create the actual face.

I find myself annoyed that I can't put a rectangle in the middle of a room exactly how I want it because I can't position it correctly in all three side/side/top views. Probably trying to explain this horrifically, anyone else get what I'm saying? :)