Should UWE market NS2 when it is released on TV?

ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
Do you think NS2 will generate enough money for a marketing campaign? Do you think a marketing campaign on TV will generate more revenue or do you think it is pointless? Will NS2 be a blockbuster or more of a niche game?

Comments

• Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    they should etch it on the moon with a laser.
  • flying_mooseflying_moose Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67676Members, Constellation
    Viral advertising is both cheaper and hits a larger audience. This makes it more effective for a small company trying to get word out. A nice looking video posted on major websites, as well as a spotlight on the steam front page will do far more for them then a television advertisement, especially as far as a potential gain vs cost.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738440:date=Nov 20 2009, 10:28 PM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 20 2009, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you think NS2 will generate enough money for a marketing campaign?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. They barely have the cashflow to make the game, let alone for TV buys... They are going to depend on viral/word of mouth marketing to sell this thing.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I belive once it's advertised on the Steam front page, it will be making tons of dough, and I think that's all they need to do in terms of advertisements. The interviews themselves are even big for them imo. I'm sure UWE will do just fine withouth TV advertising. And TV advertising is really expensive, not to mention, really useless imo since you'll have a larger gaming audience who uses the internet more often than watching television. (PC Gamers...)
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    edited November 2009
    I think that a great free form of advertisement would be to include the game on Steam's coming soon list and setup a forum in there
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738445:date=Nov 20 2009, 11:52 PM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Nov 20 2009, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... since you'll have a larger gaming audience who uses the internet more often than watching television. (PC Gamers...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

agree. I have no TV at all
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738443:date=Nov 20 2009, 03:38 PM:name=flying_moose)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flying_moose @ Nov 20 2009, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Viral advertising is both cheaper and hits a larger audience. This makes it more effective for a small company trying to get word out. A nice looking video posted on major websites, as well as a spotlight on the steam front page will do far more for them then a television advertisement, especially as far as a potential gain vs cost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree 100%. You beat me to this exact post- UWE doesn't need to spend TV ad money in order to get the word out.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1738440:date=Nov 20 2009, 10:28 PM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 20 2009, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you think NS2 will generate enough money for a marketing campaign? Do you think a marketing campaign on TV will generate more revenue or do you think it is pointless? Will NS2 be a blockbuster or more of a niche game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Television marketing campaigns go in to the 7 figure budget limit, so the answer to your questions in are it's not worth the money for an indie game.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Ads on Steam will be by far the most efficient way to spread awareness once the game is out...millions use it, and a higher percentage of those users will be interested than with the target audiences of other forms of advertising (such as billboards, tv spots, etc.) You could of course buy advertising space on game review websites like IGN or Gamespot, but I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that the game reviews themselves are free.

As long as the game is good, word will tend to get around on its own anyway.
  • ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
    edited November 2009
    Good responses. Is NS2 still a Source game? Will it expand beyond Steam, as in, do you need Steam to play if say a game is not developed on such an engine? Also, do you suppose NS games will always be a niche game or will it become a blockbuster when NS2 is released? By blockbuster, like will it reach a wide range of gamers. Will it be like a FPS that reaches many audiences such as Counter-Strike, Doom or even the Battlefield series? Or will NS2 most likely more specialized such as other specialized games? Do you think NS2 will be the type of game that will spring up with good word of mouth, advertisement on Steam like say get more players than Day of Defeat: Source or something?
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    NS2 is not on Source any more. They decided to make it on an engine (Spark) developed in-house. I don't think steam is a requirement although I don't see why you wouldn't want to take advantage of things like the friends list etc.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    I vote for the moon idea. Or maybe get Tiger Woods and Bill Gates to endorse the game?
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1738473:date=Nov 21 2009, 04:07 AM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 21 2009, 04:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738473"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good responses. Is NS2 still a Source game? Will it expand beyond Steam, as in, do you need Steam to play if say a game is not developed on such an engine? Also, do you suppose NS games will always be a niche game or will it become a blockbuster when NS2 is released? By blockbuster, like will it reach a wide range of gamers. Will it be like a FPS that reaches many audiences such as Counter-Strike, Doom or even the Battlefield series? Or will NS2 most likely more specialized such as other specialized games? Do you think NS2 will be the type of game that will spring up with good word of mouth, advertisement on Steam like say get more players than Day of Defeat: Source or something?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With all your questions, I suggest you read all the blog posts in the archive and you will be fully enlightened.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    Viral Video.

My example: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=106484" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=106484</a>

That would be the best way to advertise, besides having an intro trailer like in the L4D franchise.

Also a Meet The X/Y/Z video could possibly work. It would be tougher for the Alien side "script wise/visual dialouge reprensentation", but you could always just put a bunch of really good linked action shots together. Like a single Skulk who ninja kills the whole Marine Squad from behind, kind of like how the Predator does it from the AvP series.
  • SeikedenSeikeden Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5443Members
    NS2 is being released on TV?!?

How will we play it? My TV doesn't even have a remote!
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1738596:date=Nov 22 2009, 12:14 AM:name=Seikeden)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seikeden @ Nov 22 2009, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is being released on TV?!?

How will we play it? My TV doesn't even have a remote!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    as long as it has an internet, you are OK. It says so in the FAQ, please search next time k thx.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    A successful TV marketing campaign would probably cost significantly more than the entire development of the game, so I doubt it would be very efficient.
    <!--quoteo(post=1738619:date=Nov 22 2009, 08:36 AM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Nov 22 2009, 08:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A successful TV marketing campaign would probably cost significantly more than the entire development of the game, so I doubt it would be very efficient.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What about infomercials targeted to specific areas?
  • d$kd$k Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12227Members
    edited November 2009
    Steam might be the best choice for advertising your game ... when you are a big publisher / producer , Steam is known to drain most of the profits out of the sales through steam when the game is published by a small company like UWE.
    "This has been confirmed by Gearbox, the creators of "Opposing Force" ( halflife1 expansion ) and the recently released game "Borderlands"
  • Lumberjack_WannabeLumberjack_Wannabe Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14404Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1738624:date=Nov 22 2009, 06:20 AM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 22 2009, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about infomercials targeted to specific areas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Still too expensive. Any type of TV advertising that is on a national or international scale will cost a lot of money. The consumer analysis that you HAVE to do to determine 'targeting to specific areas' alone is worth a fortune.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited November 2009
    I dont belive that this could work, specially for the pc community we spend more time with our PCs than TV. best place is to show it off on
    www.gamespot.com or www.gametrailers.com etc u know gaming sites with lotz of traffic maybe even have an exclusive interview where they allso give out 3-5 cd keys for the viewers, ive seen it done live on the internet and I must say wow what a hype that makes, people will be all over it.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Some sort of an Event where the people have to do something... to win a Key.

Paint out that Gorge or something xD
    To create some hype. Or give out a 1 Week Demo of the Tools, then make a video or Screenshots the best will win a real key.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    Might I suggest a "Free Weekend" on Steam?

I know of several games that have given people full access to the game for a limited time, case in point being Killing Floor - A Zombie Coop Game (I hear it's THE original one. L4D was supposedly inspired from it). It was available for one weekend, and got quite a few sales from the game. In fact, I bought it. They also had a Price cut that weekend.

Since NS2 has the same price tag, I think that would be sufficient to draw in customers. Plenty, in fact.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Being a USA based indie company, world wide coverage would be way to costly. The internet is good enough and of course word of mouth!
    How about taking NS2 when it is near release to E3 or other game expos to promote it? Or imagine a large flying Onos in the air during a Thanksgiving parade? How would that not generate interest and curiosity among gamers and non-gamers?
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2009
  • IronFistIronFist Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58805Members
    As a lot of others have said, they likely have little-to-no budget for advertising.

That said, there are still free and (what I find to be) ethically questionable routes to spreading the word. You might have noticed a lot of 4chan threads (mostly in \d\) that were about the movie "Paranormal Activity." Every one of these threads starts off by suggesting how scary the movie is in one way or another. Replies will come in echoing similarly, bumping the thread to the top each time. Doing this, you easily reach thousands of people. A lot of people (like me) who waste untold hours on image/text *chan boards recognize these threads as marketing gimmicks, since they're uncharacteristic of the board they're in. Either way, it was the first time I saw a board used to seriously advertise something other than pump-and-dump domains ("help me get revenge on my girlfriend!") or pseudo-pyramid-schemes for teens (lockerz). It makes sense, though -- 4chan operates some of the most high-volume English-speaking boards in the world.

Now, I personally don't like this sort of advertising, but it's something for the hard-core NS fan to keep in mind.