Deafening Sound

slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited November 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">for the alien commander</div>I can't think of a cool name for this, but the idea of this ability for the alien commander is to let him/her take out the sound within a certain area that has Infestation in it.

Here's how it'd work...

We know how the scanner sweep works. The commander scans an area and it unveils any cloaked structures/aliens. It's very similar to that, except of unveiling things, it would completely deafen the marine team that is in the area inside the Infestation.

This means they couldn't hear people over the microphone, footsteps, or anything except for a ringing in their ears. The alien team, however, could still hear everything.

We know sound plays a very important role in Natural Selection, and think this ability for the alien commander would be great.

This deafening sound ability could only be used inside areas with Infestation in them. This is to prevent the alien commander from spamming the marine start and making it so the commander couldn't hear people and such.

I don't know if I've explained this too well, but I hope I did.

Discuss.

Edit: This also would only last a certain amount of time. It'd have to be a short amount of time though.

Comments

• SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    While the idea isn't bad or great in of itself, it shouldn't be an ability the commander has. It should be an ability of some building or NPC that the commander can activate. I know UWE never wanted the commander to drop magical abilities that affect the other team in such a direct way from the sky in NS1 so we can assume they probably wouldn't want that in NS2 either.
  • PathPath Join Date: 2003-06-28 Member: 17745Members
    Well if you wanted it to be location specific, it sounds like something to put into the mappers hands. Say having some part of electrical equipment explode due to infestation, or a gas reservoir explode due to it being pryed open by the DI. You could have it "activated" by the commander, and they could be in strategic spots picked by mappers, preventing random spam.

I'd also make them one-off abilities, useful for disorienting a hive attack squad, though having multiple commanders makes this complicated.

I do agree with steve though, nothing is worse than being in a fight when the commander remotely decides you are you are going to lose this engagement. (medpack carpets, for instance)
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    1) never -ever- attempt to affect gameplay elements which can easily be counteracted by external methods. Specifically, <u>alterations to voice communication</u> which can easily be avoided by using things like ventrilo.

2) this could work with DI, similar to how the infestation sounds in NS1 were often deafening.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1737757:date=Nov 15 2009, 10:22 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Nov 15 2009, 10:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) never -ever- attempt to affect gameplay elements which can easily be counteracted by external methods. Specifically, <u>alterations to voice communication</u> which can easily be avoided by using things like ventrilo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Blocking the gameplay sounds still works. No need to interfere with the communications. Actually limiting the gameplay sounds, but still allowing communication could in theory create interesting teamwork factor.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This shouldn't be put into the mappers hands. My original idea was to have this activated with the Sensory Chamber so it's not something that just comes from the sky.

Or you could assume that the Infestation somehow absorbs the sound around it, like a sound proof room. The infestation could even change color to indicate that the area has no sound in it.

And yeah, the main thing for taking out the sound is so that you can't hear the alien team. Be it a hallway or a room that the marines are trying to push for, this could make a great ambush tool for skulks and other aliens.

But yeah, I think this ability would fit with the Sensory chamber and when activated, the sound would only deafen around the chamber.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It only comes down to defining what's legal and what not. Devs only need to say that external voice apps are cheating and all those pro-clans have to stop using it for good if the leagues adopt it.
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1737803:date=Nov 16 2009, 10:54 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Nov 16 2009, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It only comes down to defining what's legal and what not. Devs only need to say that external voice apps are cheating and all those pro-clans have to stop using it for good if the leagues adopt it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hahahaha.
    ahahaha.
    ha.

but seriously....
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    If it blocks voice comms, then I think the frustration/wtf level and anti-coordination properties would be out of proportion to the tactical opportunities it provides the Kharaa team.

How about this: Being able to "pop" some regenerating alien pustulating environmental growths as a distraction before a skulk arrives from the other side...
    half-life\ns\sound\ambience\hiveamb.mp3
    no need to get fancy
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    I'm going to make a statement that goes for pretty much every idea:

-Cool, test it when you can. It will probably only take 10-15 lines of Lua.

Honestly, the modability is the single most important feature of NS2. Will let the game live on for a loooong time.
  • DenuviateDenuviate Join Date: 2009-06-02 Member: 67634Members
    It's an interesting idea. I propose a few tweaks.

When a rine is in the area of effect of a Sensory Chamber, perhaps only when walking on bacterium, the bacteria enters his ear and causes him to hear Gorge/Skulk movement sounds from random direction(s), making it seem like he's not alone/surrounded and distracts him from the real Skulk running up to him from behind.

"I hear a Gorge around the corner! Here Gorgie, Gorgie. Papa needs a new hat! Ow my butt! It's being viciously eaten!"

After all, we have more sensory inputs than sight which need fooling. Touch, taste and smell would be difficult to do anything about though...
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Really good idea, just as the scanner sweep it should be emitted from a structure. This structure would have energy that you need to spend to make a "deafening beacon" (or whatever you want to call it). It would be as much important target for the marines than the observatory is for the aliens.

I can't wait to see what kind of structures are on the aliens side, so we can call a rush on the marine team just like on the aliens in NS1 " rush the AA !! "

:D
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Surely an easier to implement and less abusable option to this would simple have the alien comm be able to make every alien player and structure in a certain area be completely silent?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746112:date=Jan 7 2010, 06:30 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Jan 7 2010, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Surely an easier to implement and less abusable option to this would simple have the alien comm be able to make every alien player and structure in a certain area be completely silent?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Depends a bit. I think I'd be confused if I couldn't hear the surrounding marines either. It might take a short while longer to notice the firefight behind you and ect.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited January 2010
    Marvellous idea on paper... Horrible in practice: we have perfectly legal and even preferred things like Ventrillo or Mumble or any other external voice software which can be neither realistically forbidden nor excluded.

Something like this is thus not only easily bypassed, it can very well thus split communication channels, which does wonders to ruin proper team communication in common play. Yes, it has been attempted before - and failed for reasons given - in quite a few games, most notably many Source ones where, say, dead players can't chat with alive ones during respawn time.

You CAN block all non-voice-chat sound though if you really want to, a-la flashbang.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited January 2010
    what would be cool is a like a backwards silence ability from the movement chamber

normally silence makes the skulks actions quiet - but what if it was the opposite, when the skulk is nearby all marine players cannot hear any sounds in the game (perhaps ambient map sounds stay and marines can still communicate via voice and text) sort of like in deadspace when you are in a vaccum

when a skulk is nearby the sound slowly and subtley fades out so that its not too noticeble.

so marines would be walking down a hallway and then after a while they notice that things are quiet - TOO QUIET (which means something is stalking them)

it could be explained as a type of mind control ability - maybe this could happen when you are hit by parasite ability?