Population of NS

ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Is it still alive?</div>Hi, I've played NS back when it was released and IMO one of the best FPS games I've played. I believe it was about 4 years ago when I wanted to play it again but there wasn't as many players as there used to be (if I recall, the game was pretty dead). Since NS2 is coming out, I wanted to play NS again (addiction!! :>). I'm wondering if NS is still popular/playable. And is server population spread out between the 3 (I think) different NS versions (NS 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 or something like that). If so, which NS version has the highest population.

All I remember was that as more versions of NS increased, I disliked the game more and more. IMO NS 1.0 was the best!

Anyways, please help me clarify these questions for me as I am very confused about the whole NS 1.0 - 3.0 and the population of NS1 right now.

Thanks

Comments

• SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Yes its still alive :P

Download and you will see ;)
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    the final version is closest to the 1.0 feel without actually being 1.0 too
  • d$kOLDd$kOLD Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67776Members
    I agree, just download the game again and give it a try, it wont hurt you :)
  • brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
    With word of NS2 coming out being spread across the web, the number of New Players seen in NS1 lately has been dramatically high. I played a siege game this morning, and there were at least 3 people on my team that had never played siege before.

I'm not complaining, in fact, I'm reveling in it. It's good to see some new people around, instead of the same veteran players I've matched up against for the past 5 years.

yall try not to spoil them!
  • hellokittyhellokitty riotkitty Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15348Members
    In comparison to past versions, the games go by a lot faster.

There are still quite a bit of loyal players that play regularly. Not to mention, there are still a few servers that accommodate 15v15 and are full almost round the clock each day.

I'd recommend to just jump in and play. :)
  • friedricekidfriedricekid Join Date: 2009-09-29 Member: 68909Members
    i was wondering the same thing and like many others, played a long time ago and enjoyed it. but just haven't played it in 4-5 years.

so i've been getting back into it in the last few months and there's definitely still a loyal following and a lot of players i've found. i can say i'm re-addicted, but it's kind of funny to see how the game has evolved. i remember when it first came out, everything was brand new and no one knew anything, so it was a very much trial and error kind of game. now there are many veterans and players who can easily tell you what strategy to use, what to build, what to upgrade, where to go, etc.

for me, it's interesting to see this evolution and the game is still as fun as it was back then. but having not played for many years, i've gotten some pretty extreme reactions for my play. i do decent enough as a marine, as i still play many fps. but the mechanics are so different, shooting at a skulk for example bunny hopping around you at point blank range. likewise i've gotten some pretty funny comments about my building selection and placement as a gorge, and my horrible movement abilities as a skulk or fade.

i find most veteran players are mature enough to realize that you're completely new or haven't played for years and are happy to coach you or help you with where to place a building, which upgrades to get, etc, etc if you just ask. only a few players who tend to start ###### and complaining. but hey, it's a pub, no point in getting riled up for nothing. definitely give it a try, still so much fun.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    I'm still around and playing ns regularly!

I've seen lots of brand new NSPlayers, it's fun to give them protips and listen to the lightbulb go off
  • do0rkn0bdo0rkn0b Join Date: 2009-06-15 Member: 67847Members
  • ChrispersChrispers Join Date: 2007-07-30 Member: 61722Members
    Dear Doorknob:

You are fat.

Love,

Chrispers.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    I've played since 1.03 but I haven't touched the game sine about 6 months ago. I think I'm going to get back into NS1 and it's definitely partially thanks to excitementover NS2. And I'mgoing to pre-order the special edition too. Even if the extra perks aren't as importantto me, I want to support NS2 devlopment and UWE, so I'llfork over the extra money. I hope I still remember alotof thecontrols I use sooo much of the keyboard.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    ns is far from dead. i have noticed a shift in the server populations tho. ever since the orange box came out, some ns players have been moving to the more modern games like tf2 and lfd 1 and 2. you can still find a server to play on at any time of the day tho. it used to be easy to find a server with people close to you at any part of the day, but lately, local servers tend to be empty late at night, but during more typical hours, its easy to find a server playing a map you will like. ive also noticed, at least on the US servers, that there arent as many people on the combat servers anymore. i prolly like them more than the typical ns player since i joined this madness when 3.0 came out cause it was what i learned on. but its nice now, cause all these people who never tried classic are somewhat forced to play it cause a lot of the time, the classic servers are the only ones with a decent number of people on them.

but dont worry, the ns community is still full of dedicated players that will prolly never be able to get away from this amazing game (me included!). and with ns2 getting close to release, the community is only going to get bigger.

and to all the other pros out there still lerking around (pun intended), dont be afraid to help out those people who doubt your ability by saying "hacker" or what-not. its easy to forget how big the learning curve is in ns after youve gotten past it long ago. besides, theres only going to be more new people as we get closer to ns2's release date