Release Date Pushed Back

Comments

• Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735129:date=Oct 31 2009, 08:46 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Oct 31 2009, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, please refrain from posting OT spam in my thread, thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well it is somewhat strange that this doesn't seem obvious, but let me explain this more explicitly.

I'm not <a href="http://unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107701" target="_blank">this guy</a>, nor <a href="http://unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107698" target="_blank">this guy</a>, not <a href="http://unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107674" target="_blank">this guy </a> either. Definitely not <a href="http://unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107719" target="_blank">him</a> and actually not even <a href="http://unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107442" target="_blank">this one</a> as I'm just playing other games until release (whenever that is).

I agree with <a href="http://unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107703" target="_blank">this thread</a> however, and while I have shared this thought in a much more implicit manner, the fact that's I've quoted JAmazon on my initial post should highlight the fact that it is satire (and I remind you that the purpose of satire is meant to suggest the poster's disapproval of his own statement) and definitely not flaming. In fact, you're the one who opened with the insults. Not that I mind, really, but mote/beam in eye and all that.

That being said, if my position still feels unclear, just tell me. I'll be leaving <b>your</b> thread now because all that will come of it is more "bah, UWE are liars!" and the inevitable "let them be, we can wait" retorts. So I'll let you supervise that as it obviously means a lot to you.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1735140:date=Nov 1 2009, 06:41 AM:name=TheMatrix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheMatrix @ Nov 1 2009, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really think people need to chill here when they ordered it they knew there was a risk that it would not be done in time...
    And well again what kinda game you want? a game were you lag/crash/get-bugged-all-over-your-face and stops playing because of it?
    Or a game that is actuarially Working??

Well im more then happy That they are still working on it at least, i Would totally stop making the game by now because of all the complaints....

//Regards Matrix<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one is complaining. What are you arguing against.
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    oh sorry Now why the hell do i post something when im drunk?? :O It seems as i was kinda misunderstanding some of the posts here I apologies here and promise i wont post next time im drunk :O (this is why i hate Halloween its one of the only days i actually do drink alcohol.) Sorry :(
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735224:date=Nov 1 2009, 08:25 AM:name=TheMatrix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheMatrix @ Nov 1 2009, 08:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh sorry Now why the hell do i post something when im drunk?? :O It seems as i was kinda misunderstanding some of the posts here I apologies here and promise i wont post next time im drunk :O (this is why i hate Halloween its one of the only days i actually do drink alcohol.) Sorry :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wooo party man Matrix! :P
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1735192:date=Nov 1 2009, 02:03 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Nov 1 2009, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That being said, if my position still feels unclear, just tell me. I'll be leaving <b>your</b> thread now because all that will come of it is more "bah, UWE are liars!" and the inevitable "let them be, we can wait" retorts. So I'll let you supervise that as it obviously means a lot to you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I still love you Cereal, even if you're "not allowed" in this thread :)
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735192:date=Nov 1 2009, 02:03 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Nov 1 2009, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In fact, you're the one who opened with the insults.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1735192:date=Nov 1 2009, 02:03 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Nov 1 2009, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735192"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->all that will come of it is more "bah, UWE are liars!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1735333:date=Nov 1 2009, 07:50 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Nov 1 2009, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when it's done?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What the hell thread are you guys replying to? None of these posts seem to have any relevance to what's been said so far, is this forum always like this?
    <!--quoteo(post=1735336:date=Nov 1 2009, 07:58 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 1 2009, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What the hell thread are you guys replying to? None of these posts seem to have any relevance to what's been said so far, is this forum always like this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only the day after holidays. :P
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735322:date=Nov 1 2009, 07:42 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Nov 1 2009, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wooo party man Matrix! :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah :P
    Note i am not drunk while writing this message xD
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'm perfectly fine with the delay; it doesn't worry me at all, the game arrives when it arrives... :)

I would hate to have the NS team publish a product early they have invested many years on by rushing it towards the end to meet a previously defined deadline.

I would hate, if I were working on the project, to release anything less than what I thought was a solid product - releasing something that is half-working or incomplete would cheapen and de-value the time and money spent on development so far.

It would also cheapen the experience for the players and the feedback the team receives after people begin playing.

Don't rush NS development guys; take the time you need to release the product you want to release.
  • YashokiYashoki Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59256Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735408:date=Nov 2 2009, 12:38 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Nov 2 2009, 12:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm perfectly fine with the delay; it doesn't worry me at all, the game arrives when it arrives... :)

I would hate to have the NS team publish a product early they have invested many years on by rushing it towards the end to meet a previously defined deadline.

I would hate, if I were working on the project, to release anything less than what I thought was a solid product - releasing something that is half-working or incomplete would cheapen and de-value the time and money spent on development so far.

It would also cheapen the experience for the players and the feedback the team receives after people begin playing.

Don't rush NS development guys; take the time you need to release the product you want to release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While I agree 100% to what you just said, my only question would have to be how long is too long? Making a game takes a time, money, and effort. But how long can you honestly wait for this game? I've been a huge fan of NS since I can remember. I'm not here trying to say that they release what they have right now. Just wondering how long everyone's patience can run?
  • MindmeldmeMindmeldme The Evil One Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1637Members
    I think my opinion on this is the same as I have on most games. I'd rather get it when it's actually done and working then when it's halfway and not complete. Enough games come out now aday's as it is that need to be patched within a few weeks to finish resolving all sorts of bugs and issues. Especially given the situation with UWE just getting funding I think it would be wise to cut them some slack. Least they are giving us an idea when they think it will be ready to play as opposed to Blizzard who go with, it's done when it's done and never actually really give a date.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1735430:date=Nov 1 2009, 09:10 PM:name=Yashoki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yashoki @ Nov 1 2009, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735430"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I agree 100% to what you just said, my only question would have to be how long is too long? Making a game takes a time, money, and effort. But how long can you honestly wait for this game? I've been a huge fan of NS since I can remember. I'm not here trying to say that they release what they have right now. Just wondering how long everyone's patience can run?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is a valid point, and I am sure the team are aware of time.

They would definitely be deciding to cut things from the game ('save it for later') at the moment in order to get to a release closer, because they would want to get a solid release out as soon as possible - I don't think this project is another DNF (I hope!) :)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1735430:date=Nov 2 2009, 02:10 AM:name=Yashoki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yashoki @ Nov 2 2009, 02:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735430"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I agree 100% to what you just said, my only question would have to be how long is too long? Making a game takes a time, money, and effort. But how long can you honestly wait for this game? I've been a huge fan of NS since I can remember. I'm not here trying to say that they release what they have right now. Just wondering how long everyone's patience can run?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We appreciate everyone's patience up to this point, and hope people can remain patient while we bust our butts to get you a finished and polished and fun game.

I just want to point out that the typical game these days, with full teams, on average take 2 years, some take 3, and a few are in development longer then that. We understand people have been waiting for a new NS game for the last 7 years since the first one was put out, so it can seem like this game has been taking forever. But in reality, as mentioned in the blogpost, the majority of the actual development on it so far has been less then a year.

--Cory
    <!--quoteo(post=1735457:date=Nov 2 2009, 05:08 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 2 2009, 05:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just want to point out that the typical game these days, with full teams, on average take 2 years, some take 3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where are you getting that statistic from? I guess it marginally makes sense for AAA titles (it looks like the Call of Duty series has a 2-year cycle), but for a more typical console game its probably more like 8 to 16 months. Of course its platform-dependent, so maybe the average PC game does take longer - but its hard to imagine how a studio could survive if it took them 2 or 3 years to ship something. Whats your source for that?
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735459:date=Nov 2 2009, 01:18 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where are you getting that statistic from? I guess it marginally makes sense for AAA titles (it looks like the Call of Duty series has a 2-year cycle), but for a more typical console game its probably more like 8 to 16 months. Of course its platform-dependent, so maybe the average PC game does take longer - but its hard to imagine how a studio could survive if it took them 2 or 3 years to ship something. Whats your source for that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...You are really unaware of how the industry works. There is a reason why the publisher system exists.
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735460:date=Nov 2 2009, 05:23 AM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Nov 2 2009, 05:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...You are really unaware of how the industry works.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahahaha

So where's your documented source then, bigshot? I'm not saying its wrong, I'm just asking where he got his information from.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    There is no need for a documented source. This is common knowledge among all gamers. Video games take roughly 2-3 years to make. Some take 4-5. Some take 6-7. Very few, except perhaps low budget games take any shorter than 24 months. Portal took 18 months to make. That is very short. That is also a low budget game. Modern Warfare 2 took 24 months to make because it is being worked on by a team of 150+ people, not because it is an overly ambitious game. It's built on an existing engine technology that the developers are familiar with, with a short campaign, a multiplayer component that amounts to a very large expansion pack, and a new-coop mode. Not ambitious. Dragon Age: Origins for instance, is being worked on by a very large team as well, but is built on new technology, and is a very large game (100+ hours of content). It has taken 6 years to come out. Half-Life 2 took 6 years to come out.

Games take a very long time to make and Natural Selection 2 is no different.

You may ask, how do companies sustain themselves during this long period of development? Investors and money made off previous titles. It's that simple.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735461:date=Nov 2 2009, 01:32 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735461"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hahahaha

So where's your documented source then, bigshot? I'm not saying its wrong, I'm just asking where he got his information from.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=video+game+production" target="_blank">http://lmgtfy.com/?q=video+game+production</a>

You are more than capable of getting easy-to-find information using the internet. You are just making a scene by questioning it in the manner that you did.
  • halcoberry_houndhalcoberry_hound Join Date: 2003-07-20 Member: 18309Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1735461:date=Nov 2 2009, 01:32 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735461"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hahahaha

So where's your documented source then, bigshot? I'm not saying its wrong, I'm just asking where he got his information from.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont normally post, i normally only read the forums, but for you zex i made an exception for 2 reasons

first of all let me give you this link :P
    <a href="http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+long+does+a+game+take+to+develop" target="_blank">http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+long+does+a+game+take+to+develop</a>

^^^ thats a joke btw its the third link down

second this is the third link down if you struggle with it :P

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_development" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_development</a>

have fun! and thanks for the post squeal, I have followed the game development and I think this thread has really shown that the majority of people are happy to wait. I am really amazed at the communitys ability to accept this change and take it as a positive. I am glad that more time is being taken to add the features in which I think will really set this game appart from the rest. Keep going and peace out zex, who dude, really needs to chill out :P
    edited November 2009
    The "one to 3 years" quote in wikipedia is unsourced, guys.... sorry ; )

Its probably a fact, what do I know, but I can guarantee that no game with a 750,000 budget takes 2 years.

I wonder if Squeal_Like is hinting that, since the majority of NS2 has been developed only for the past year, it will be out October 2010 in the "average" video game development timespan? Hmmmm.
    The fact that NS2 might be developed in its entirety over the course of less than a year is actually a point of concern. Their is a difference between getting something done fast and getting something done right, and in the computer game industry the two are seldom synonymous. Now by the looks of it, UWE has spent a lot of time making the spark engine incredibly easy to create content for, so for all we know the hard stuff is over and they just need to work on the game-play facade to lay over the engines backbone. That would be an ideal scenario.

Games with short development cycles I usually associate with overdone franchises, that release wave after wave of sequels and expansion packs under some publishers shovel-ware business model. I like to think that NS2 is a labor of love for UWE so this kind of "get it done and out the door $$$" approach won't be the case.
  • halcoberry_houndhalcoberry_hound Join Date: 2003-07-20 Member: 18309Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1735465:date=Nov 2 2009, 01:49 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The "one to 3 years" quote in wikipedia is unsourced, guys.... sorry ; )

Its probably a fact, what do I know, but I can guarantee that no game with a 750,000 budget takes 2 years.

I wonder if Squeal_Like is hinting that, since the majority of NS2 has been developed only for the past year, it will be out October 2010 in the "average" video game development timespan? Hmmmm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if you had bothered to read the references you would have seen where the info came from

1. ^ "Cost of making games set to soar" from BBC News
    2. ^ Getting Into Gear from BizTech Magazine

* Salen, Katie; Eric Zimmerman (2005). The Game Design Reader: A Rules of Play Anthology. The MIT Press. ISBN 0-262-19536-4.

* Salen, Katie; Eric Zimmerman (2003). Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals. The MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-24045-1.

if they are not official enough for you then nothing will be. google and read the full articles yourself.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I'm used to valve's 'five more minutes' approach to release dates.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735459:date=Nov 2 2009, 05:18 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where are you getting that statistic from? I guess it marginally makes sense for AAA titles (it looks like the Call of Duty series has a 2-year cycle), but for a more typical console game its probably more like 8 to 16 months. Of course its platform-dependent, so maybe the average PC game does take longer - but its hard to imagine how a studio could survive if it took them 2 or 3 years to ship something. Whats your source for that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Strictly speaking, developing for a console would take longer as there's a very strict QA regimen as well as the licensing bull###### and all that jazz. Whereas a PC game you can slap together some half-assed buggy mess, call it STALKER, and win GOTY awards... (haff haff haff).
  • Risky SalmonRisky Salmon Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67680Members
    I think we should all be glad that they aren't releasing something thats bug riddled and not working properly.
    Can't wait to design some maps :D
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    One of the reasons I'm a huge fan of indie games is that with the indie scene we are free from the "must have X megablockbusters per fiscal quarter" pressures that constantly force early releases of sub-par material. Whether it be music, movies or computer games, I have a soft spot for a small team of people working on a labour of love taking <b>as long as it takes</b> to reach the level of excellence they are proud to sign their name to.

Take as long as you want NS2 team. I'll still be waiting.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735499:date=Nov 2 2009, 09:13 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Nov 2 2009, 09:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One of the reasons I'm a huge fan of indie games is that with the indie scene we are free from the "must have X megablockbusters per fiscal quarter" pressures that constantly force early releases of sub-par material. Whether it be music, movies or computer games, I have a soft spot for a small team of people working on a labour of love taking <b>as long as it takes</b> to reach the level of excellence they are proud to sign their name to.

Take as long as you want NS2 team. I'll still be waiting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I still can't believe something like Sins of a Solar Empire is technically 'indie' because it was made by like 5 guys in their garage.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1735459:date=Nov 2 2009, 05:18 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 2 2009, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where are you getting that statistic from? I guess it marginally makes sense for AAA titles (it looks like the Call of Duty series has a 2-year cycle), but for a more typical console game its probably more like 8 to 16 months. Of course its platform-dependent, so maybe the average PC game does take longer - but its hard to imagine how a studio could survive if it took them 2 or 3 years to ship something. Whats your source for that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Part of that statistic comes from the fact that I've been working in the game industry for 10 years and have worked at several different companies. The first game I worked on took 3 years, because we developed our own engine. The subsequent games took 2 years, because there was the already developed tech to use as a foundation, speeding up the process some. The next company I worked at had been in development for a year on the title before I got there, and it was another 2 years before it came out. That was a console title.

I also have friends working at other game companies, so I know how long games like Brutal Legend took to develop, again a console game.

So, in addition to reading enough post mortems on game development, and looking at various statistics, I actually do have some personal experience in the matter.

--Cory