Hi there!

AnnanasAnnanas Join Date: 2009-10-25 Member: 69138Members
<div class="IPBDescription">newbie warning</div>Hello, I've joined the forum today. I've never played NS, but I will start to play NS2.

My boyfriend is a big fan of Natural Selection and he's been telling a lot about the game for me. Then he got this crazy idea to buy this game for me too. It is crazy, because I'm not so experienced gamer :P

So, it's going to be interesting to see what I've got myself into :D
Do you think I'm in trouble or what?

Comments

• SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Don't worry and if you get flamed let them talk, then you will be fine ^^
  • gamakungamakun Join Date: 2007-11-20 Member: 62971Members, Constellation
    Its a game, just enjoy it XD.
  • NihiliusNihilius Join Date: 2007-08-28 Member: 62044Members
    Natural Selection 1 is great, you just have to get the hang of it, I am guessing it will be the same for NS2.

Experience is the key, after a while of playing I am sure you'll be like all the other players.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733969:date=Oct 25 2009, 02:43 PM:name=Annanas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Annanas @ Oct 25 2009, 02:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello, I've joined the forum today. I've never played NS, but I will start to play NS2.

My boyfriend is a big fan of Natural Selection and he's been telling a lot about the game for me. Then he got this crazy idea to buy this game for me too. It is crazy, because I'm not so experienced gamer :P

So, it's going to be interesting to see what I've got myself into :D
    Do you think I'm in trouble or what?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welcome to the forums. I think you'll be fine. NS2 is like any other RTS... the first time you play, you won't have any idea what's going on. Have somebody walk you through a few games; all the marine guns, all the alien lifeforms, what the buildings do, how upgrades work. You'll be fine.

It's only $10 to get Half Life 1, then NS1 is a free modification added on to it. You should give it a whirl. Its very similar to NS2 at least in spirit if not in exact gameplay terms. You'll be doing much the same thing in NS1 as a clueless marine or clueless skulk as you would be in NS2 (Experienced Player to you: "Cargo is under attack! Need help!" You: "Where's Cargo?!" Experienced Player: "Open your map!").

You'll understand the game eventually.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    The Finnish community is still in suprisingly good shape. You might want to check it out when NS2 gets released.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1733969:date=Oct 25 2009, 01:43 PM:name=Annanas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Annanas @ Oct 25 2009, 01:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, it's going to be interesting to see what I've got myself into :D

Well ma'am you've definitely started out on the right foot. By posting on these forums you are preparing yourself for this game far better than most new players. And by getting into the community you will make this game be far more satisfying too! You should've seen some of the amazing things that this community put out during the prime of NS1.

Also, if you hit the alpha at day 1, you will be just as big a noob as everyone else here. Except for me. (:P)

See you in game soon!
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    Ok folks.

We've all seen <a href="http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/pix_plz.png" target="_blank">the XKCD</a>.

Let's move past the idea that the OP is female and get back to the topic. Or we'll just close the thread OK?
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1733986:date=Oct 25 2009, 11:03 PM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Oct 25 2009, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well ma'am you've definitely started out on the right foot. By posting on these forums you are preparing yourself for this game far better than most new players. And by getting into the community you will make this game be far more satisfying too! You should've seen some of the amazing things that this community put out during the prime of NS1.

Also, if you hit the alpha at day 1, you will be just as big a noob as everyone else here. Except for me. (:P)

See you in game soon!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The trick is to learn from the best, I assume then you should be teaching her how to play? :P
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    That's cool that you're willing to learn. It will probably be frustrating as NS1 is very much a "gamer's game". My gf can't even tell what I'm doing in game let alone play it. Just like anything, though, if you give it a little effort it will be rewarding.

I suspect you'll have an easier time learning than because people are generally nicer to girls on the internet, but it will probably not be the easiest game for someone new to FPS/RTS games to play. If you haven't played FPS games before I recommend playing Portal and HalfLife 2(in that order) first to get the hang of some of the fundamentals. TF2 would be good next as an introduction to FPS multiplayer. I'd also recommend StarCraft singleplayer to get some fundamentals of of the RTS genre too. DO NOT go online though, you will just get destroyed and feel bad about the state of the human race simultaneously.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1734004:date=Oct 26 2009, 03:20 AM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Oct 26 2009, 03:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's Wechsellichtzeichenanlage supposed to mean? I'm sort of getting alternating-light-target?-installation but can't make sense of it... my German is not very good but I like trying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Traffic Light.

But, it's a law-term. So people (lawyers aint people) simply say "Ampel" instead of "Wechsellichtzeichenanlage".
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
    Bacillus ...your avatar always reminded me of something ..and today i found out what it was ...death rally :D

sry4offtopic ;-)
  • mulkmulk Join Date: 2009-08-26 Member: 68597Members
    Sharing hobbies makes relationships better.
    Go for it!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Welcome to the Unknown Worlds community, Annanas, and hope you enjoy NS2 when it comes out.

And for the rest of the people posting in this thread, please keep the focus on what the thread is intended, as a welcome to a new member of the community.

And derogatory references pertaining to someone's gender, race, or sexual preferences will NOT be tolerated around here.

Thanks.

--Cory
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    edited October 2009
    -snip-

Read what Cory said. Understand it. -Insane
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1734092:date=Oct 26 2009, 03:22 PM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Oct 26 2009, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't do this often, but it's warranted here:

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>FAIL</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Annanas,

Welcome to the NS community. You'll find that learning the game is more easy than most of the people say. The hard part is becoming a good player, but is just matter of experience and listen to the more experienced players.

And then you will be teaching most of us.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Hello to you too!

The beauty of a team game like ns and ns2 is that there are lots of simple things you can do to help your team that require just a little knowledge and effort. This allows you to contribute in a positive way while learning how everything works and having fun. I'm sure you'll be up to speed as soon as everyone else because we will all be 'newbs' when NS2 is released.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Welcome to the community!
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733969:date=Oct 26 2009, 04:43 AM:name=Annanas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Annanas @ Oct 26 2009, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, it's going to be interesting to see what I've got myself into :D
    Welcome Annanas, I think it can be summed up best by what Flayra has said in the past (the spearhead behind all of this)

<!--quoteo(post=1617587:date=Mar 29 2007, 11:21 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Mar 29 2007, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1617587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not an easy balance to achieve, but we do want to make a game that will be both the best competitive game since Starcraft and also one that many people can enjoy casually without being in a clan or an experienced or knowledgeable NS player. That's the goal at least!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So if the devs have their way, you wont be in trouble!
  • AnnanasAnnanas Join Date: 2009-10-25 Member: 69138Members
    Thank you all for your encouraging words and advices! Somehow I now feel better to start to play this game even if I'm a beginner. I'll try to learn more about this game(type), before it comes out.

Nice to meet you all and see you in game! :)