Content Reserved for Pre-Orders

lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Army of Two Sequel</div><a href="http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/army-of-two-2/1038047p1.html" target="_blank">Full Article</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Responding to popular demand for four-player co-op in Army of Two: The 40th Day, executive producer Reid Schneider devised a new multiplayer mode called Extraction, similar to Uncharted 2's cooperative mode. But the mode, according to <a href="http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700148/Army-of-Two-Multiplayer-Mode-Restricted-To-Pre-Order-Players-For-One-Month.html" target="_blank">G4</a>, won't be available to everyone on day one, as it's currently meant to be a one-month exclusive bonus for pre-orders.

According to The 40th Day's lead designer, Eric Chartrand, "The first multiplayer mode, and in my opinion the most exciting, is Extraction. Extraction is a new game mode that was devised as a bonus for pre-orders, giving gamers who pre-order a month of exclusive access."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now this is Army of Two, so there maybe several if not tens of people who care about this, but imagine if this would become common practice. Is this acceptable or suspect? Are they offering an incentive to people who pre-order, or are they withholding content from regular buyers - are they thumbing their noses at "less worthy" customers? Is the glass half full or half empty?

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733632:date=Oct 23 2009, 09:23 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 23 2009, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/army-of-two-2/1038047p1.html" target="_blank">Full Article</a>
    Now this is Army of Two, so there maybe several if not tens of people who care about this, but imagine if this would become common practice. Is this acceptable or suspect? Are they offering an incentive to people who pre-order, or are they withholding content from regular buyers - are they thumbing their noses at "less worthy" customers? Is the glass half full or half empty?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't have a moral objection do it, but I think it is a dumb idea. If it is the "best" multiplayer mode then you're telling potential customers "don't buy my game in the first month of release" which is when most money is made anyway. Also you'll have a much smaller player base for that mode so it may be starved out.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I believe their hope is that this will elicit ######loads of preorders. This being Army of Two, I'm skeptical. Maybe that's why they're doing it with this game - as a low-risk experiment with a game that is likely to generate poor sales anyway. Nobody would risk this with an expected blockbuster unless it has been proven to work already.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733646:date=Oct 23 2009, 10:15 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 23 2009, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe their hope is that this will elicit ######loads of preorders. This being Army of Two, I'm skeptical. Maybe that's why they're doing it with this game - as a low-risk experiment with a game that is likely to generate poor sales anyway. Nobody would risk this with an expected blockbuster unless it has been proven to work already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought the orig Army of Two sold well? Doesn't matter, I wasn't planning on getting it anyway. My care-meter is just an overall "Low" for this.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    Halo 3 ODST did something similar by giving an exclusive player model (Johnson) to preorders in the fire fight mode. I don't really care about player models in fire fight mode, but it shows that this kind of thing is becoming a common practice.

I kinda wish preordering would go back to what it was before: a way to make sure you get the game on release date. That should be enough.
    That's just a character model though. Minor stuff. You can still play Firefight whether you've pre-ordered or not.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733649:date=Oct 23 2009, 10:26 AM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Oct 23 2009, 10:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Halo 3 ODST did something similar by giving an exclusive player model (Johnson) to preorders in the fire fight mode. I don't really care about player models in fire fight mode, but it shows that this kind of thing is becoming a common practice.

I kinda wish preordering would go back to what it was before: a way to make sure you get the game on release date. That should be enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lots of games give preorder bonuses.

This is the first "order preorder or we withhold game content from you for a month".

I don't think it is morally bad or anything, though I do think it is kinda silly. If I cared about the game, it would convince me to wait a month to buy it.
    edited October 2009
    The worst part:
    It will be pirated, probably even by people who legit bought it, in order for them to have access to this content. It is a fail sandwich with possible malicious intent, or at least willful ignorance, bread.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1733649:date=Oct 23 2009, 04:26 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Oct 23 2009, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Halo 3 ODST did something similar by giving an exclusive player model (Johnson) to preorders in the fire fight mode. I don't really care about player models in fire fight mode, but it shows that this kind of thing is becoming a common practice.

I kinda wish preordering would go back to what it was before: a way to make sure you get the game on release date. That should be enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I also heard about a company called Unknown Worlds Entertainment, only giving black marine armor to people who pre-ordered their WiP game Natural-Selection 2 :P
    Jeeze guys it was an example off the top of my head.
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1733672:date=Jan 21 1793, 12:48 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Jan 21 1793, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jeeze guys it was an example off the top of my head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->Maybe you should've used a better part of your head.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    I'm really not enjoying the growing trend in restricting content to encourage pre-orders, the extra level and so on. Theres acceptable boundaries, for example when it was limited to non-unique in-game codes for extra content, STALKER did this with 2 multi-player maps, Saints row 2 did it with a bunch of vehicles. These didn't pose a problem to anyone because, within a week, the cheat codes were online. Unique codes would then be saved for cosmetic things, the golden lancer in gears of war 2, or the special collectors edition pets for World of Warcraft (Admittedly not a pre-order bonus, but try getting one of those boxes without a pre-order. Its not fun.)

The problem is now that studios and publishers are restricting real content from those of us who don't feel right throwing down cash on something thats still 4 months out.
    The Left4Dead2 Baseball bat for example, a unique melee weapon you'll only find in games with pre-order customers. Sure, there are other melee weapons, a cricket bat is a nice substitute, but you're still missing something.
    Even worse is that some studios are starting to offer different sets of unique content depending on where you pre-order. Now one pre-order isn't enough, if you want everything you'll have to go to every chain you can find. The latest Ratchet & Clank game is a big offender here, offering either a new weapon, a new vehicle skin or a new level. You can't have all three without pre-ordering from 3 different stores.

Restricting a game mode for a short period isn't too bad, its essentially comes down to what SR2 and Stalker did, but compensating for the fact GameFAQs has been around for the last 10 years, but its still sort of sleezy, and probably not the best business move.
    I'd say just give pre-orders gold plated guns, but thats just a standard feature in Army of Two games, so I guess they would have to go further.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    hehehehe

Army of Two Two

</juvenile>
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    They're exploiting the fact that people pre-order games now a days, using it to get more people to buy before the price goes lower. Sounds like good marketing strategy to me.
  • frostymoosefrostymoose Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20799Members
    edited October 2009
    Kinda lame, but meh it's army of 2...

I would preorder if it was a game I actually wanted so I could get it... I.E. mass effect 2... That's getting a bunch of pre-order perks that actually make me want to NOT preorder the game, because it looks like it could make the game easier...
    <!--quoteo(post=1733841:date=Oct 24 2009, 07:40 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Oct 24 2009, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They're exploiting the fact that people pre-order games now a days, using it to get more people to buy before the price goes lower. Sounds like good marketing strategy to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Email spam is a good marketing strategy too.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    Champions Online had different pre-order bonuses (boni?) from different retailers. I assumed they were all cosmetic, so I didn't read the fine print and just ordered the most convenient one. I got gypped out of a week of early game access due to pre-ordering from the wrong retailer. I was displeased. The game is pretty lame anyway so I regret buying it at all :)
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I think the developers really take to these offers because of the heavy amount of piracy that happens on the 360 / PS3. By "piracy" I mean "buying second hand/used games." If you walk to into a specialized game store almost half of the wall is covered in used games, and in the eyes of the developer and publisher who only received money from the first sale, this must feel like piracy. Delivering special content may be a way to generate additional cash to offset this (seemingly) popular trend.

Unless I missed it, the article didn't specify if it was with all preorders or preorders through a certain store. If it's with all preorders then this is something entirely new. Singling out the advertised "best feature" of a game and giving it to only those who preorder is a very aggressive tactic to try to increase sales. The other tactic would be to make every feature available from the start and hope gamers are happy enough to not sell their games back to the stores. I'm surprised EA went with the aggressive tactic on such a "who cares" title like Army of Two but maybe they're just testing the effect this announcement will have toward their expected amount of pre-orders.
    You've got to love this increasing trend of trying to sell us stuff without actually coughing up the goods. Remember those "you wouldn't steal a car" antipiracy ads (which pirates cut out of their DVD rips while honest customers were unable to skip them)? Guess what, nobody bats an eyelid if I buy or sell a used car.
    The real bad guys in the used game racket are the dirty stores (*Ahem* Gamestop) who "buy" them from people for a few dollars and then sell them to other people for 30 or 40 without even giving you the original case or manual. Preorders are attractive to everyone involved as long as stupid crap like this content restriction stuff isn't happening. The game studio gets full price for the game before any reviews can knock it's legs out from under it, the store gets money for stuff it hasn't technically sold yet, and the customer is sure to get the game on release day.
    If preorders are attractive to everyone involved, you'd think incentives are unnecessary. I'm wary of them because, as you say, reviews haven't had a chance to assess the game's merit yet.