NS2 - Couple Questions

GeezerGeezer Join Date: 2004-09-28 Member: 31976Members
Hi everyone,

I played the Original NS and loved it -immensely-. Back in the day I lived in a city house and internet was not an issue. However, I have since moved a lil' further out into the country, and I no longer have ADSL. I now have wireless 3G broadband because we don't have the right copper lines or whatever running to our new house. So my question is, will playing NS2 drain a lot of internet data usage? We're limited to 10Gb a month. I'm with Australia's Telstra Bigpond, who used to host servers for Natural Selection 1 and if you play on a Bigpond server, it doesn't count towards your internet usage. Wondering if the new NS2 will be given to Telstra to host as well?

Also sorry if this has been mentioned in many threads/FAQs but I couldn't seem to find it: what game modes will be available for online and offline play?

Thanks a lot,

Geez.

Comments

• Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    yikes. Lets say its best case 20MB/hour (I don't know for sure, but thats what it appears to be for CS:S net code): ~500 hours.

Worst case, BF2 level usage of ~50MB/hour: ~200 hours.

I think you will be safe.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Just DLing the game might set you back that first month though :O
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    3G Broadband can support online gaming?
  • M00_cowM00_cow Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60180Members, Constellation
    Yes. I would be more afraid of your in game pings as opposed to the amount of bandwidth the game will take up, although I'm sure you have already come to terms with this. I checked my netgraph teh other day in CSS and it was sitting on roughly 3-5kb/s download if that helps. They are using a different engine though so it may be completely a different story, although I imagine it would be much the same.
  • GeezerGeezer Join Date: 2004-09-28 Member: 31976Members
    Speed I'm not concerned about; I've downloaded faster with Wireless Broadband than I ever had before with DSL. It actually amazed me.

Will there be an option for offline play in this second edition of NS?
  • M00_cowM00_cow Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60180Members, Constellation
    Not as far as I know. I have heard this game will be solely multiplayer as NS1 was.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1733808:date=Oct 24 2009, 08:02 AM:name=Geezer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geezer @ Oct 24 2009, 08:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speed I'm not concerned about; I've downloaded faster with Wireless Broadband than I ever had before with DSL. It actually amazed me.

Will there be an option for offline play in this second edition of NS?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Geezer, I would say that after the initial download (Which will be large, I don't believe it will consume your allotment though on its own... hell you could even get someone to ship it to you or something for less than any over-use charge or whatever, you will clearly get hundreds of hours worth of play time per month. If its anything like counterstrike source , at about that 20MB/hour rate then 500 hours is about what you can expect. 500 hours is a lot of time... thats 20 continuous days worth of play per month... or 16 hours per day every day. I am pretty sure you will be fine.
    Ah, that's great to hear. Even though I'm not the only one who would be using the net at my house, that's still more than enough for me. I can download the initial download at College upon its release, can buy large blocks of data for ridiculous prices. Only thing is that I can't actually play it at College, ######s seem to have a decent firewall in place, or they've blocked the ports. Anyhoo, thanks everybody for the replies. I guess I'll be purchasing now!
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    Answering this question:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will there be an option for offline play in this second edition of NS?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While this is sort of speculation, this is what I think...

The answer is a yes and no, there will be no 'singleplayer' mode to NS2 out-of-the-box. That does not mean that you won't be able to play NS2 offline or in a LAN. Now with the official release, you might get a little lonely playing against yourself on an offline multiplayer match, but since NS2's gamemodes, etc are written in LUA, I assume it will be possible (and very probably) that someone will create a Natural Selection 2 bot system (much like people did for NS1) that will allow you to play with friends and bots on a LAN while remaining offline and not consuming large amounts of bandwidth. :)
    I would pretty much worship the person that does that. Pretty much.
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    Well. The worst thing that may happen is the loss of packages. The ping isn’t a big issue itself. But if the signal isn’t too good, it’ll have packages loss and then it will suck to play.

;)