How do I do the equivalent of mounting a NFS drive on Windows?

AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
In our project group we use lunix computars, of course. We have a shared storage with variously useful files (16 GB of games, for one), which was a fairly simple setup using an url and the 'mount' command.
But I haven't a clue how to do this from my home Windows machine.

Any suggestions? Or links to tutorials for dummies...
I did manage to find a few things with Google, but had problems: Samba/CIFS (can't find install or instructions), Microsoft Unix Service package 3.5 (only works on XP Pro)

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Right click My Computer, choose Add Network Drive... hope this helps.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2009
    I used these guides to setup my shares and printing.
    <a href="http://opensuse.swerdna.org/suselanprimer.html" target="_blank">http://opensuse.swerdna.org/suselanprimer.html</a>

after samba is setup, i added the Linux ip to the Windows hosts file and browsed normally to that address to view the share and its contents.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732880:date=Oct 20 2009, 02:29 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Oct 20 2009, 02:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right click My Computer, choose Add Network Drive... hope this helps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This seems like it should be the answer, but can't get it to work. I'll have to check some details with the admin...
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    One thing that might help... whenever I used this and it asked for my username/password I had to put the domain as well as my username, otherwise it would append my computer's name and wouldn't authenticate properly...

so for example

STUDENT/myname

instead of

myname
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Well, I talked to Mr admin, who patiently explained to me that due to this university blocking ports and stuff that Samba was not an option, and I would have to use ssh / winscp after changing a config file to listen to a specific port (secret!), so we'll see how that goes when I get back home.
  • PaladinDudePaladinDude Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58881Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732913:date=Oct 20 2009, 10:10 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 20 2009, 10:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I talked to Mr admin, who patiently explained to me that due to this university blocking ports and stuff that Samba was not an option, and I would have to use ssh / winscp after changing a config file to listen to a specific port (secret!), so we'll see how that goes when I get back home.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Also known as SSH tunneling (I recommend putty as an SSH client btw), it works, but don't expect it to be fast!

Obvious question is why don't you just copy the files off? USB sticks/HDs are cheap enough these days...
    I don't want to rely on USB/etc because it's not as convenient as dragging and dropping (or using cp or whatever), though it's certainly an option.
    Can't seem to get WinSCP to connect though. Connection refused.
    First I was dumb and set the port as 76543, but obviously that didn't work since it was above 65k... didn't realize until I tried from home yesterday.
    Now it's a correct port number though. Must be missing a step. Mr Admin was sick unfortunately - hopefully his ear-inflammation will be better soon.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    Maybe you can use <a href="https://www.getdropbox.com/" target="_blank">Dropbox</a>? It uses HTTPS as far as I know, so your university should still allow that...
    WinSCP was a success! I think I failed to reboot the computer when I fixed the port number.

Topic over.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1733290:date=Oct 21 2009, 04:10 PM:name=DOOManiac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DOOManiac @ Oct 21 2009, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1733290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe you can use <a href="https://www.getdropbox.com/" target="_blank">Dropbox</a>? It uses HTTPS as far as I know, so your university should still allow that...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I used dropbox at work, and somehow my company's firewall picked it up, blocked it, and then someone from HR came over to yell at me for using non-sanctioned software on work computers :( this is more of an amusing anecdote than a cautionary tale.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732913:date=Oct 20 2009, 11:10 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 20 2009, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I talked to Mr admin, who patiently explained to me that due to this university blocking ports and stuff that Samba was not an option, and I would have to use ssh / winscp after changing a config file to listen to a specific port (secret!), so we'll see how that goes when I get back home.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

use hamachi with a strong password for your network.