Onos Swallow Allies

magicboommagicboom Join Date: 2009-10-02 Member: 68928Members
Give Onos the ability to swallow ally players. If there is a serious battle and the gorge is dying, the Onos could swallow him and get him out safely.

I know it might be a little annoying, but it was just an idea I wanted to throw out there.

Comments

• MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732302:date=Oct 15 2009, 02:17 PM:name=magicboom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (magicboom @ Oct 15 2009, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Give Onos the ability to swallow ally players. If there is a serious battle and the gorge is dying, the Onos could swallow him and get him out safely.

I know it might be a little annoying, but it was just an idea I wanted to throw out there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Annoying for who? Marines or aliens?

Two words: Grief alert.

Extended answers:

1) Sounds like a "hidden modifier" which UWE may not therefore implement.

2) Gorge is way too big to fit inside an Onos.

3) Onos would only kill the ally by digesting them. Hey, if it's strong enough stomach acid to digest nano-armour...

4) Onos doesn't have Swallow anymore. Check the reveal.
  • magicboommagicboom Join Date: 2009-10-02 Member: 68928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732319:date=Oct 15 2009, 04:39 PM:name=MikeyTWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeyTWolf @ Oct 15 2009, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Annoying for who? Marines or aliens?

Two words: Grief alert.

Extended answers:

1) Sounds like a "hidden modifier" which UWE may not therefore implement.

2) Gorge is way too big to fit inside an Onos.

3) Onos would only kill the ally by digesting them. Hey, if it's strong enough stomach acid to digest nano-armour...

4) Onos doesn't have Swallow anymore. Check the reveal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gorge is not too big to fit inside an Onos. If a marine could fit, so can a Gorge.

Obviously the Onos would not release its digestive fluids and furthermore, you are thinking way too much. It's just a f*cking game...

I know Onos doesn't have devour anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't suggest the idea, that's the whole point of this section of the forum

Try having a lil more constructive criticism
    <!--quoteo(post=1732361:date=Oct 15 2009, 09:12 PM:name=magicboom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (magicboom @ Oct 15 2009, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge is not too big to fit inside an Onos. If a marine could fit, so can a Gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not with that new rib cage. He's more gorilla now than elephant, so most of his mass is in his arms now, rather than his stomach. Also, the Gorge must have got pregnant since NS1, because he's not making it any easier this time around either.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously the Onos would not release its digestive fluids and furthermore, you are thinking way too much. It's just a f*cking game...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's never going to happen without a community makeover mod, so why is thinking too much a bad idea here?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know Onos doesn't have devour anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't suggest the idea, that's the whole point of this section of the forum<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I've come to believe that this section of the forum is mostly here for speculation and philosophical debate rather than actual suggestions. Of course, if something truly kickass (like Gorge Racing) comes along, it would be noted, but in the end only if someone is bothered enough to make the mod will it appear, and even then that's like telling Valve to put a grenade pack powerup/pickup spawn for one or two players at a time into their maps.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try having a lil more constructive criticism<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm trying to poke holes in your ideas, isn't that constructive criticism? It's not my idea and I haven't got anything new to add so that's really I can do for now, to bang out questions to think about and see what answers turn up.
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    I like this idea. Eat up to 4 skulks, when onos dies, its like a pinata of teeth and death.

I think even a Fade could fit inside an Onos. But that might be pushing it.

But basically, its a interesting idea, and might be fun on custom servers, its kind of like lerk lift, and probably won't make it into the game.
  • spawnof2000spawnof2000 Join Date: 2007-09-01 Member: 62111Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732319:date=Oct 15 2009, 05:39 PM:name=MikeyTWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MikeyTWolf @ Oct 15 2009, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3) Onos would only kill the ally by digesting them. Hey, if it's strong enough stomach acid to digest nano-armour...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marines do not have nano armour, if they did then it would regenerate without having to be welded.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732390:date=Oct 15 2009, 08:37 PM:name=spawnof2000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spawnof2000 @ Oct 15 2009, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines do not have nano armour, if they did then it would regenerate without having to be welded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what if the nanites were dormant? Bet you feel pretty <i>stupid</i> now, huh?
  • spawnof2000spawnof2000 Join Date: 2007-09-01 Member: 62111Members
    If the nanites were dormant then they wouldn't contribute to the armours durability therefore would be pointless having them there.
    <!--quoteo(post=1732442:date=Oct 16 2009, 10:18 AM:name=spawnof2000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spawnof2000 @ Oct 16 2009, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732442"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the nanites were dormant then they wouldn't contribute to the armours durability therefore would be pointless having them there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Firstly, I just called it by what it's actually called according to some backstory I picked up somewhere, and immediately lost afterwards... :S

Secondly, nanites can't keep working 24/7. The armour might be active all the time, and repairs itself (an excuse for a lack of lasting visual damage to HL1 models) at the expense of the nanite's battery power, hence why it aborbs all damage, and doesn't regenerate over time without a power plant strapped to your back. Using the welder, you can repair it so fast by simply recharging the nanites instead of hand-crafting bits of metal into the gaps.

Or something. Either way, the point still stands, and HAs can still get killed by it.
  • TerraGamerXTerraGamerX Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732361:date=Oct 15 2009, 09:12 PM:name=magicboom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (magicboom @ Oct 15 2009, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously the Onos would not release its digestive fluids and furthermore, you are thinking way too much. It's just a f*cking game...

I know Onos doesn't have devour anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't suggest the idea, that's the whole point of this section of the forum

Try having a lil more constructive criticism<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The developer's are greatly interested in having good levels of realism and backstory behind every mechanic in the game, like developers of any game. So my addition to why the idea doesn't work so well is that the Kharra's animal designs seem like it would carry onward to theior digestive track as well. That is, their organs are designed in one direction for the sole purpose of eating and ridding the waste at the exit.

Additionally keep in his comments as well as mine ARE constructive criticism. That is all about pointing out what the faults are. Unconstructive criticism is simply "The idea sucks, don't do it". Nor did he say you shouldn't have suggested it.

Now certainly I don't expect to see it in any official release. As a matter of fact, all concepts are probably pretty complete for the Alpha and are just in the stages of balancing and creating. So it should be assumed that it will be the community's responsibility to implement this feature.

Extra means of transportation for Gorges was certainly a popular area of development, so there's no doubt going to be even more of that this time around, old ones rehashed as well.

I think I'll like this idea more than seeing Lerk Lift again. While I loved being able to do bombing runs, it contributed too well to turning the tides (I'll throw in the note that LL saw grieving too, but had workarounds). This still takes a player out of the game like Devour did, but this time an ally.

However you present the idea more for defense than transportation, and I also expect that's how it will be used.

There are two major impracticalities that I see about this idea:
    1) An Onos shouldn't have to worry about a Gorge. That doesn't mean they shouldn't care, but their efforts are supposed to be focused to the offense, not defense.
    2) If an Onos and Gorge are both in the marine's range of fire, all their attention is going to be on the Onos. If it is just 1 marine the mechanic isn't needed since the Onos can just deal with him like he's nothing.

For this mechanic to be useful, it would be difficult to balance. For this mechanic to be useless, it is already balanced.
    The elements contributing to its balance:
    1) One ally is taken out of the game
    2) One Onos isn't fully focused on the battle.
    Elements contributing to its imbalance:
    1) The Gorge is effectively guaranteed its life if the Onos does it, with no variables for death. Compare it to Redemption. That was great, but didn't always work.
    2) The Onos can strategically carry the Gorge inside it as it advances and kills, then dispenses the Gorge for getting healed. No smart marines are allowed to pick off the reason it's living.

I'm a veteran Gorge, and Onoses loved my support. So certainly I'd like an ability that strengthens that relationship. But I think it alters too much the Onos's priorities. And the ability for a Gorge to die is actually pretty important to marines, but only select few seem smart enough to kill the source of life (err, well, and the fact that a Gorge should stay well protected behind cover).

Don't take my comment of Redemption as an argument against it, but only for the sake of comparing balances. I don't expect we're going to see Redemption in this next game.

And on the off-topic nano-armor, the nano-technology intensive marines do indeed have the nanites in their armor. What I recall it as, is that the nanites quickly fill a wound to sustain it until there is proper medical treatment.
  • SnarKsSnarKs Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67584Members
    i loled at the idea of swallowing 4 skulks as an onos. Would be so epic for an onos to charge a marine base and then when it dies it releases 4 skulks.

No more devour makes me sad :( good thing this game is going to be Mod-Able.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I don't see the point of this ability. I think redemption suits the role perfectly if you want to get saved from dying. Even though redemption is not 100% reliable, neither would an onos trying to save your butt. As the idea for a skulk rush within the onos, I think the idea is somewhat akin to a PG rush by marines, where suddenly a whole bunch of allies appear at the enemy base. Yet, this strategy is somewhat unviable since any good onos player wouldn't want to charge into an enemy base, deal as much damage as they can, and then die.

Most likely, the skulks in the onos belly would be going "yay! we're going into the marine base... and... and... we're going out again..."
  • ZephyrYHKZephyrYHK Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28130Members
    edited October 2009
    this thread needs a catbus image photoshopped with an onos face.

Anyway, I disliked lerkleft due to it being prone to griefing, and this will probably be the same, as somebody else mentioned.
    But assuming that griefers will be rare, I find it to be a fun idea.
  • SnarKsSnarKs Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1732960:date=Oct 20 2009, 10:15 AM:name=ZephyrYHK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZephyrYHK @ Oct 20 2009, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this thread needs a catbus image photoshopped with an onos face.

Anyway, I disliked lerkleft due to it being prone to griefing, and this will probably be the same, as somebody else mentioned.
    But assuming that griefers will be rare, I find it to be a fun idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well, the person being lifted can press the use key to get off :/
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Flayra loved the Lerk-Lift mod, and I don't see how this is different. Just give the protected player an option to get out whenever they want to (like Lerk-Lift).

Onos doesn't have devour anymore, so I don't think it will happen like you think. I do think an Onos could be able to 'use' other aliens to give them a piggy-back and thus cover. Fairly easy to implement ( Hard to make ti look good, though ). Pick up a gorgie and that makes it a lot harder to hit it (and the marines probably would want to shoot you now, anyways). And trust me, HealSpray isn't that powerful, and becomes less powerful the more maximum HP a lifeform has. Onos have a habit of attracting the entire Marine teams' focus fire, so having a cute healbot for the ride wouldn't be imbalanced. And plus, it would encourage good teamwork.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1732901:date=Oct 20 2009, 02:18 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Oct 20 2009, 02:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see the point of this ability. I think redemption suits the role perfectly if you want to get saved from dying. Even though redemption is not 100% reliable, neither would an onos trying to save your butt. As the idea for a skulk rush within the onos, I think the idea is somewhat akin to a PG rush by marines, where suddenly a whole bunch of allies appear at the enemy base. Yet, this strategy is somewhat unviable since any good onos player wouldn't want to charge into an enemy base, deal as much damage as they can, and then die.

Most likely, the skulks in the onos belly would be going "yay! we're going into the marine base... and... and... we're going out again..."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd rather this than redemption.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited October 2009
    Yes i like this idea because it seems a natural extension to NS. I remember people talking about this in game about a way to hide in the onos etc like he was an APC with a rear "hatch" lmao.

Another way this idea could work is a way to RIDE ontop of the onso. I mean onso's have a very large onso-back... so why not.

Just the same, any alien should be able to stand on top of another alien without slipping off. Then we can have walker-fades that ride atop a healing gorge while acid rocketing while a lerk rides above the fade to provide gas support xD

a standard marine could stand on the shoulders of a jetpacker or HA :P
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    Turducken ns style
    Sculk stuffed into a gorge stuffed into a lerk stuffed into a fade stuffed into a comchair stuffed into an onos stuffed into a...

This idea powns

********************************************************************************
    anti troll line of salt and magic shrooms
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Anyone remember the NS1 ideas of allowing skulks to suckle on the bottom of the Onos and act as an APC? :D