Public Servers and skill stacking

psikalpsikal Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12756Members
<div class="IPBDescription">way to stop ?</div>The problem is pretty dam huge all thru out NS1 and ppl just dont seem to care about it cause ppl like to 'win' so they'll skill stack a side. It gets annoying when they continue to do it game after game, map after map and the 'newbies' of the game start to fall away and lose interest in the game for that very reason.

Im wondering if NS2 has any way to counter this or not since the players wont wake up and realize what there actions are causing expect for 'most kills' and 'winning'. Dont know if a similar idea has arose or not either but im wondering if there is a way to implant a leveling system into the server side of things for NS2.

Somehow it keeps track of your skill from past games, whether it be from kill / death ratio or points racked up in games and from that you get assigned a certain level number which can decrease and increase over time. But from the level number you are assigned, you are then assigned to an auto leveling system and if one side say marines is stacked with to many of the 'higher' levels, you get auto transfer over to aliens so it becomes more fair / balanced and a much more enjoyable game.

Comments

• whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2009
    Could also be handled client-side and sent to server when connecting, i think.

Edit: But because there is no combat mode i don't see much Sense in this.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731609:date=Oct 10 2009, 06:04 AM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Oct 10 2009, 06:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could also be handled client-side and sent to server when connecting, i think.

Edit: But because there is no combat mode i don't see much Sense in this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You obviously have never played any NS at all.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You obviously have never played any NS at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed.

There have been several discussions about this lately, but most came to the conclusion that NS can not have a "skill tracker" or something like that because it can't compare actions of individuals.
    Maybe introducing an event based system (defending x, assaulting y, squadmovement, etc) like TF2 has for serverside stats plugins might work, but I'm unsure about that.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Making aliens more fun to play on public and random_all command are my two suggestions.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1731612:date=Oct 10 2009, 06:15 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Oct 10 2009, 06:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You obviously have never played any NS at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't get it at first. My bad. But thanks for clearing that up.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    Just like Bacillus said, give the option to auto-random all at roundstart and the stacking problem would be solved.
    Right now NS is stacked because of the small playerbase. You know the name of every good player, so it's easy to stack...
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731643:date=Oct 10 2009, 05:25 PM:name=PhiXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhiXX @ Oct 10 2009, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right now NS is stacked because of the small playerbase. You know the name of every good player, so it's easy to stack...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Rine stack also occurs because public aliens are sometimes damn frustrating to play for the above average players. It's really annoying that whatever you do, the rest of the people often don't fill in the rest of the roles, not even with you trying to organise things. So, when you get chambers/nodes, nobody goes fade or builds hive. When you fade, nobody gets chambers or nodes and ect. Being stuck on the slow alien tech due to the res model doesn't help one bit.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    Auto random will kill the game.

1. What if your friends want to play with you on the same team?
    2. The freedom to choose which side to be on should not be taken away.
    3. Yes the learning curve for the skulk is very steep. I have speculated that in NS2, the devs will change that.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1731694:date=Oct 11 2009, 08:29 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Oct 11 2009, 08:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Auto random will kill the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could be true, at least partly. But as I said before, the community will hopefully be much bigger and alien gameplay is reworked so stacking won't become this much of a issue as in NS1.
  • kcbnackcbnac Join Date: 2004-01-19 Member: 25484Members, Constellation
    Just make sure a plugin exists (like i've seen on all the Source games) for an admin to be able to throw up a vote for a team scramble, or simply force one. Some of the rest do it automagically if a win disparity exists (usually up by 2 or 3, or a fixed count of straight wins).
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    It's a game. It happens in all games. Nothing you the dev team can, will or should do about it.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1731694:date=Oct 11 2009, 02:29 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Oct 11 2009, 02:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Auto random will kill the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Most of the US classic servers use a form of this plugin now... It would hardly kill NS2.
  • aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1731788:date=Oct 12 2009, 02:01 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Oct 12 2009, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of the US classic servers use a form of this plugin now... It would hardly kill NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Really? Most of them?
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    "Most" of the servers for an almost dead game is still a very low number. NS2 is aiming a bit higher than "almost dead."
    There'll be a plugin. If UWE doesn't make it, someone else will (and that's as good a reason as any for UWE not to waste time on it). And most servers won't use it.
  • corpsmancorpsman Join Date: 2004-04-17 Member: 27979Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Easy fix... Random. There, problem solved. And anyone can jump in the CC or whatever, or voted out, but random alien/marine spawn is best.

To be fair and honest I dont think I have ever seen more then a couple people ONLY play Marines or Alien. Most tend to play each back and forth a bit.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1731828:date=Oct 12 2009, 04:25 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 12 2009, 04:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Most" of the servers for an almost dead game is still a very low number. NS2 is aiming a bit higher than "almost dead."
    There'll be a plugin. If UWE doesn't make it, someone else will (and that's as good a reason as any for UWE not to waste time on it). And most servers won't use it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't disagree with what you're saying. Saying it will kill the game is simply untrue, and I don't think it matters how many players are playing for that to stay untrue.
  • psikalpsikal Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12756Members
    Its a yes n no, old players dont mind going random but for the new players coming into the game i think they would be frustrated at only having random and no choice. say you came from CS, TFC etc etc where your used to it and then u dont have a choice? i wouldnt like it if i was new, but as an old player i dont mind it.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I know I'd mind if I still played NS. I didn't like playing marine very much, and I'd hate being forced to.
  • aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1731840:date=Oct 12 2009, 08:54 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Oct 12 2009, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1731840"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't disagree with what you're saying. Saying it will kill the game is simply untrue, and I don't think it matters how many players are playing for that to stay untrue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    BAD and GUNS had a random on at one point. But then they took it off. Ever wonder why?

You highly overestimate your knowledge about this game and about videogames in general. You're hardly a good player at all.
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1732305:date=Oct 15 2009, 10:22 AM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Oct 15 2009, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1732305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BAD and GUNS had a random on at one point. But then they took it off. Ever wonder why?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They still have votescramble, and that's fine. I'm not agreeing with the OP that the default should always random. But it's not the fire and brimstone you claim it being.

Edit: <GUD> also auto-rands if you haven't chosen and aren't afk. I think that's the best of both worlds TBH. Necrophix is the only(occasional classic) U.S. server that doesn't have a rand plugin of sometype.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Forced random by default isn't fun.

However, having an autobalance/random team option is generally a good idea. Giving people options, not forcing it down their throats, it a good idea.

Side Note:
    AB would require skill rating tracking, something we may or may not like.
  • TullTull Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33443Members
    If the game's factions are well balanced, Id say theres no need for this. Most games are stacked because as marine you get an advantage in large games (games balanced to 6 vs 6 players) and almost all servers got a max playersetting at 18+ players, creating a permanent imbalance in mostly every public game. This results in stacking of marines, which makes stacking a common thing. Now, for alien stacking, it rarely occurs, really, but when it does its mostly because a few "elite" players decides to play alien. This makes other players, who know the concept of stacking well, to want to play with them. Now, Id say most "elite" players would rather have a fair game where they get a challenge that playing for easy kills (too easy is boring), but with the current imbalance, this is hard so they just stack instead.

If NS2 is better balanced (which I believe it will be. -The acom makes it easier), we won't have as much stacking as NS1 (not more than any other game atleast).
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    Game balance is still achieved by balancing equally skilled players vs each other. A skilled player will still dominate in a balanced game.

I would like the random teams option, but I'm fine with a add on to randomize the teams like NS1 had.
  • TullTull Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33443Members
    Well, the idea is that teamplay should be in focus here. With teamplay an okey team will be able to win a game over a bad team with one, or parhaps 2 good players, no matter what faction they are. Today a pretty lousy marine team can with with one okey comm and one good marine against a team of semi-decent aliens.

May the best team win, not just the best player (as seen in NS1. NS2 isn't NS1).
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    team stacking is always going to happen.

It would be a bad idea when all the "pros" join marines all the time so some automatic thing makes you alien to even the teams... When you want to play marines.

It shouldn't be dictated. I play to have fun.. not have the game pull me out of my team and put me in another and then tell me "Now have fun"

Us the players need to realize when stacking is happening and MOVE OURSELVES to the other team. Not have some stupid function to do it for us.
  • corpsmancorpsman Join Date: 2004-04-17 Member: 27979Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about simply requiring the servers to post (in whatever server browser they decide to use) either "stacked" or "casual"? I mean, the words chosen were just on the fly, but whynot give every server a simple checkbox, so the player could filter server results to what they prefer? Personally I just look at location, ping, and if it's full of clan losers. Other then that it's rare for me to have a hard time enjoying the game because or skills.

You give the servers freedom to do what they want and at the same time give the player a choice. And there is no game side work, it's just a server browser filter!