Radio noise.

KillerBroetchenKillerBroetchen Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30508Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Near people hear you clearly, all other with "Radio noise".</div>In front, yeah, there is already a topic about "Voice chat that only people around you can hear?" but I fear that this would get lost in that topic.

That's the plan: It would be a nice ear-candy, that when using voice-com the close up teammates hear you clearly, while others hear you with the typical "radio-noise". There should also a small "fade-out" area around the speaker, where the clear voice mixes with the radio noise until some distance where you only get the radio-noise type of transmission.

I think this would add quite a bit of atmosphere because more fare away marines would also sound like they're more far away. Probably it would be also possible to mix in the current "Speaker Sound" of the speaking player to ~20% so that you hear a little bit of whats going on while he's talking, like in reality. This would at least work for marines, i have no clue if something similar would fit to the Kharaa.

Comments

• OpprobriousOpprobrious Join Date: 2008-11-17 Member: 65483Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1730246:date=Oct 2 2009, 01:28 PM:name=KillerBroetchen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KillerBroetchen @ Oct 2 2009, 01:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In front, yeah, there is already a topic about "Voice chat that only people around you can hear?" but I fear that this would get lost in that topic.

That's the plan: It would be a nice ear-candy, that when using voice-com the close up teammates hear you clearly, while others hear you with the typical "radio-noise". There should also a small "fade-out" area around the speaker, where the clear voice mixes with the radio noise until some distance where you only get the radio-noise type of transmission.

I think this would add quite a bit of atmosphere because more fare away marines would also sound like they're more far away. Probably it would be also possible to mix in the current "Speaker Sound" of the speaking player to ~20% so that you hear a little bit of whats going on while he's talking, like in reality. This would at least work for marines, i have no clue if something similar would fit to the Kharaa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Voice communication should not be impaired in any way. It's vital for teamwork. Any idea they makes the in-game communication less effective will result in the use of third party communication programs.

Leave communication alone.
  • KillerBroetchenKillerBroetchen Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30508Members
    I didn't mean to cripple it in any way, but giving it a bit more atmosphere. It should just sounds like radio chatter at a certain distance.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2009
    It's a nice idea but yes, voicechat needs to be clear.

It works well in company of heroes, distant units get a radio overlay as well as the sounds going on around them, and it sounds really cool, but voicechat has problems as it is, so I think it might be inadvisable to tinker with it further.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I think me yelling on a cheap table mic with Finnish accent is bad enough radio interference already :)
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    edited October 2009
    I support this idea in principle, but it may not be workable. Detractors should keep in mind that the "radio noise" is not supposed to make the speaker unintelligible, but to add a bit of background static.

Arguments for: It adds an extra layer of audio feedback. Without having to look at the name of the speaker and find their location on the mini-map, you will instantly know whether they are nearby or far away. This can be crucial: If somebody nearby yells "watch out" or "behind you," that's important information. If that person is far away you can safely ignore it.

Arguments against: Basically what Chris and Bacillus said. Voicechat has its fair share of problems already, and some of them (like cheap and/or bad microphones and/or sound cards) can't be solved by software developers. This feature could make those problems worse.

I'd say this is something that would be nice to have, but only if the static doesn't interfere too much with people whose voice input already suffers from low quality. And it definitely isn't a feature that is worth delaying release for.
  • KillerBroetchenKillerBroetchen Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30508Members
    edited October 2009
    The prgramming work should be manageable. When receiving a voice stream, the _client_ makes a short lookup about the distance and routes the stuff trough a little filter. If you want to add also some environment sound of the current speaker, you just create a small loopback of the sound and route it with the loudness factor (for example 0.15 for 15%) and add it to the voice stream.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    edited October 2009
    I like the idea of being able to tell if " Look out behind you !" came from someone in my area or the other side of the map. How about using a color coded visual cue instead. I assume there will be some sort of HUD indicator to show the name of the player who is talking, make it dark red when the player talking is close to you and have it slowly lighten up to almost pink the farther away they are from you. Also on that idea, make differnet colors for different squads.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    localized voice chat is bad in so many levels./
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I actually think this could be manageable in US server where 90%(?) are speaking their native language. On Europe on the other hand... Even ventrilo quality isn't enough to ensure good communications until everyone gets used to accents and mispelled and mispronounced words. No need to add extra barrier there.