Radio Dead Zone

Gorgeous GorgeGorgeous Gorge Join Date: 2009-08-26 Member: 68603Members
Some areas of the map could be designated as "dead zones" where marine communications could not reach. So marines in the dead zone could not do some or all of the following:

Use their voice communicator
Hear voice communications
Type text messages
Get text messages
Get meds/ammo/cat packs
Commanders can't drop structures there
Show up on the map
See where other marines are on the map
Aliens visible to that marine would not show up on the map

For example, there could be a back entrance to one of the hives that is a dead zone. Therefore, it would not be a siege location (this would give map makers more freedom to put areas near hives without screwing up the balance of the map by making an easy siege location).

Marines could try to sneak in through there, but they would be out of contact with their team.

Mapmakers could provide a reason for the dead zone--for example, there would be a very powerful piece of equipment operating nearby that interferes with the marines' communications.

Second, there could be semi-dead zones, which would be dead as long as the marine RT wasn't powering the sector they are in. So as marines expanded their conquest, there would be fewer and fewer dead zones.

The dead zones would add tension to the game, and would fit in well with the general atmosphere.

Comments

• sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    .....the hell.. disabling voice communications sounds quite odd if you ask me, because why would the marine next to me go suddenly mute.. i would say yes to comander interactions with marines.. because you would need a squadleader then for squad 5 :p but disabling voice communication in like.. infested areas makes no sense, marines do not need radios to talk with each other. they would have to build in a local hearable voice chat in addition to the radio transmission, that would be neat for aliens, because they would be able to hear the marine talking to his com, or other marines, but not the response of them, also makes marines to keep radio silence when they try to ninja so they wont give away their position, now THATS what i call a suggestion :p

i say +1 for local hearable marine voice, because as long you are in hearing range you dont need a radio
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I think punishing/hindering the communication isn't the spirit of NS. People should be encouraged to communicate, not the other way round. RTS/FPS hybrid has got massive issues with atmosphere anyway, I think we shouldn't prioritize it over the gameplay.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    I love the idea. Breaks the fourth wall a bit. I would expand the idea a little and make "dead zone" areas a little more grayish and have the borders of dead zones have increasing interference (can be easily done by phasing in the sound of white noise by percentages). Then once completely in the dead zone, even white noise stops and things grow eerily quiet.

I think the game loses a bit of its creepiness when the entire human team can communicate with each other. In a way, it's like you're never alone. In a dead zone, you really are only with the marines which went with you into the dead zone as far as communications are concerned. I wouldn't want to see it done often.. at most one room in an entire map. I like the idea that communications could be linked to the room and "unpowered" rooms are all deadzones, though I think that should be a mod and not the standard for gameplay.

Nice idea.
  • aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    What an excellent idea. I for one won't cheat by using ventrilo, I can tell you that.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wouldnt cheat either, but there are people that are so low live they use that even in competive.
    <!--quoteo(post=1727685:date=Sep 17 2009, 03:03 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 17 2009, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldnt cheat either, but there are people that are so low live they use that even in competive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh really? How dare they?
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see the sarcasm, but I still answer as they forget the sportsmanship and only think about their personal gain. It's disgusting.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1727699:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:45 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 17 2009, 01:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see the sarcasm, but I still answer as they forget the sportsmanship<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wouldn't call using ventrillo a lack of sportsmanship, as long as both teams agree to it.
    Maybe. But what about clans that play on pubs they dont own. Isn't that unfair if the "pubbers" don't agree to that?

I'd wish that using any external program to avoid drawbacks from certain features is officialy deemed cheating - if both teams in a war negotiate to use it, it's ok. it's an offense otherwise.
    I don't really care if they have "a dark monitor" (calibrate the game as you're meant to) or the sun's shining right onto it (close the blinds).
    <!--quoteo(post=1727712:date=Sep 17 2009, 07:52 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 17 2009, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727712"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe. But what about clans that play on pubs they dont own. Isn't that unfair if the "pubbers" don't agree to that?

I'd wish that using any external program to avoid drawbacks from certain features is officialy deemed cheating - if both teams in a war negotiate to use it, it's ok. it's an offense otherwise.
    I don't really care if they have "a dark monitor" (calibrate the game as you're meant to) or the sun's shining right onto it (close the blinds).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So you're afraid of a team of good players getting on a pub and using coordinated teamwork? Is that your concern?
    My concern is a team of players dodging a restricting feature and exploiting the opening gap.
    In this situation they can communicate tactical information freely while it would be impossible in reversed teams.

back then when voice ingame was an exception, people used ventrillo and teamspeak to communicate data better than with typing and messagebinds. developers acknowledged that and included voice into their games, but they still use external programs for whatever reasons i dont even want to know really.

my point is: if you restrict players with this, they will fall back on external tools, and people abiding the game's rules will be handicaped compared to them.
    i've seen players on games where you're not allowed to speak while dead using it, too.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1727713:date=Sep 17 2009, 03:59 PM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Sep 17 2009, 03:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you're afraid of a team of good players getting on a pub and using coordinated teamwork? Is that your concern?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    These are all such hypothetical scenarios anyway. A clan would have to join a pub, teamstack(I'd have more of a problem with that sportsmanship-wise), and then be using ventrillo without the other team's knowledge. I guess I agree in that particular situation it would be bad sportsmanship, but that's kind of an edge case.

If everyone was going to swear off using third party programs in NS2 something like the OP could work, but that's an unreasonable expectation without enforcement. TBH it's not the clanners you should be worried about in such a scenario, but pretty much any server. This happens a lot in L4D(using ventrillo to speak to teammates when dead) and just isn't worth it to try and block.
    <!--quoteo(post=1727715:date=Sep 17 2009, 08:21 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 17 2009, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My concern is a team of players dodging a restricting feature and exploiting the opening gap.
    In this situation they can communicate tactical information freely while it would be impossible in reversed teams.

back then when voice ingame was an exception, people used ventrillo and teamspeak to communicate data better than with typing and messagebinds. developers acknowledged that and included voice into their games, but they still use external programs for whatever reasons i dont even want to know really.

my point is: if you restrict players with this, they will fall back on external tools, and people abiding the game's rules will be handicaped compared to them.
    i've seen players on games where you're not allowed to speak while dead using it, too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The first reason players use ventrilo instead of ingame is due to the fact that hl1 voice transmit codecs suck. It's also why some people prefer to use ventrilo over teamspeak.

The second reason players use ventrilo, and why it can't be "outlawed," is due to HLSS/annoying mucks spamming ingame.

Also, I'm fairly positive that the better you get at natural selection, the less communication you need in your team. The best players always know where to be and what to do at all times.
    Mucks can be muted by admin and clientwise.
    I found the voice ingame pretty good. better than what i could achieve with teamspeak and ventrillo.
    sure, ingame can be heavy on the server, but I find it better the server (and everyone else) lags than only me, plus the server's config is bull when that happens.
    Main reason for me to not dont use those external tools is even with the lowest still understandable quality my ping went up by one quarter.
    apart from not working properly at all.
    <!--quoteo(post=1727734:date=Sep 17 2009, 09:53 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 17 2009, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mucks can be muted by admin and clientwise.
    I found the voice ingame pretty good. better than what i could achieve with teamspeak and ventrillo.
    sure, ingame can be heavy on the server, but I find it better the server (and everyone else) lags than only me, plus the server's config is bull when that happens.
    Main reason for me to not dont use those external tools is even with the lowest still understandable quality my ping went up by one quarter.
    apart from not working properly at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    all of your points are completely wrong

1) I've played ZP: Source for a good bit now. I muted people for a while, but that got annoying really fast because of the sheer number of people who were generally annoying over the mic, spamming music and possessing whiney voices. voice_enable 0 it was. (Clients can't be muted in HL1 because the mute function is broken.)
    2) The best in-game codec has a much higher compression than ventrilo. Find a better ventrilo server.
    3) What?
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    The ###### mother ###### piece of ###### hackers that exploit ventrilo without asking the pubbers should be shot in the mother ###### face.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    This thread scares me. Radio Dead Zones while fun, have issues.

A) Could be annoying for new players that are wondering why their messages are not going through. They can't even ask why it's happening.
    B) People can just use a third-party voice communication program. I would prefer having everyone being on the same communication line and give no incentive for people to play separately from their team who are using a different voice communication program.
    <!--quoteo(post=1727739:date=Sep 18 2009, 12:35 AM:name=aNytiMe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aNytiMe @ Sep 18 2009, 12:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) I've played ZP: Source for a good bit now. I muted people for a while, but that got annoying really fast because of the sheer number of people who were generally annoying over the mic, spamming music and possessing whiney voices. voice_enable 0 it was. (Clients can't be muted in HL1 because the mute function is broken.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sv_allowvoicefromfile 0
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    People would just use external software like teamspeak or mumble.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I doubt the average pubber will use 3rd party voice software just to dodge the dead zones, so it could work on public games to some extend at least.

Hindering the vital communication and creating a bigger gap between the organised and public plays are far more undesirable elements if you ask me. The terrible HLVoice already limited my fun and ability to co-operate with less experienced players. I'd like to avoid such problems with NS2.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    Yes!
    I've always wanted to do this!
    if and when I release my map ns_dungeoncrawl (almost into testing), there will be a hive with a giant block over it obstructing com views / meds. To rid of it, theres a weld point that pushes it to the side.
    imagine a team of ppl going in to here and waiting on a 90 second weld with no med or commands.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    NS2 is a team game. A feature that discourages/prevents the team from communicating with each other has no place in it.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727643:date=Sep 17 2009, 02:56 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Sep 17 2009, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.....the hell.. disabling voice communications sounds quite odd if you ask me, because why would the marine next to me go suddenly mute.. i would say yes to comander interactions with marines.. because you would need a squadleader then for squad 5 :p but disabling voice communication in like.. infested areas makes no sense, marines do not need radios to talk with each other. they would have to build in a local hearable voice chat in addition to the radio transmission, that would be neat for aliens, because they would be able to hear the marine talking to his com, or other marines, but not the response of them, also makes marines to keep radio silence when they try to ninja so they wont give away their position, now THATS what i call a suggestion :p

<b>i say +1 for local hearable marine voice, because as long you are in hearing range you dont need a radio</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+2

What a great idea. <3