Dynamic Infestaion.

InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
Along with the new dynamic Infestation that is going to be in the game. I was thinking about that you guys could make it so that in the map editor you could make triggers go off when the infestation goes over it. An example would be a door getting locked or say a generator shutting down and some lights turning off. Sort of like the door welding property in NS1, but on the alien side. I think this would add a whole new way of game play to the game and more strategy. And could add a very nice thrilling/horror element to the game that hasn't been done before like this.

Comments

• TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I think they have mentioned that when Infestation enters a room it disrupts the marine power grid, shutting off lights etc. Not sure though, its definently an awesome idea.
  • LordHorusNLLordHorusNL Join Date: 2009-08-31 Member: 68658Members
    I also wonder if the aliens can use dynamic infestation on doors to seal them, the marines have welders to close off doors so why not the aliens?
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726312:date=Sep 6 2009, 09:57 AM:name=LordHorusNL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LordHorusNL @ Sep 6 2009, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also wonder if the aliens can use dynamic infestation on doors to seal them, the marines have welders to close off doors so why not the aliens?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm pretty sure having DI in a room is supposed to mess up lights and the power grid. However having the ability to focus the DI on a door like that to jam it would indeed be cool.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    just from mappers view it would be nice to have an event trigger like "on infestation" -> something happens
  • edkrstedkrst Join Date: 2009-09-11 Member: 68748Members
    edited September 2009
    Three ideas/questions:

1. Does dynamic infestation leave a mark where it has "infested"? What I mean is, say a marine comes in and destroys a bunch of infestation with a flamethrower. It would be very cool if the ground was bleached or marked up where the infestation had been (like the way vines destroy paint by chipping away at it).

2. Is there a way for mappers to suppress dynamic infestation from going into a certain area? I'm thinking, for example, an area of a map that has been "painted" with a certain substance that will slow the effects of dynamic infestation. I think this would be a cool addition and could help mappers tweak their map for better team balance.

3. A reply to Schimmel's post. I was thinking of a water pump in a map becoming blocked by dynamic infestation (like a clogged engine). So a certain part of a map would begin to overflow with water as the aliens take it over.