Too much change?

VmanVman Join Date: 2007-09-11 Member: 62251Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Read before you really post.</div>I left after i heard they were removing devour. I know 'change' is sometimes good. But when is change too much change? Its good when you put a dollar into a vending machine, get your 55cent soda and get 55Cents back [happened to me]. But, dosent it seem like the aliens are becomming a mimic of the marines? I mean, relying on a commander. The idea of removing parasite in favor of having a alien commander take on the scouting that the SKULK is meant for. Its just as dissapointing as removing devour, its something that the onos class is KNOWN for. Sure it might have been a little less needed, but whats with all this change? Soon enough im going to stop even caring about Ns2, I would rather just play Ns1 and keep things the same, or make new models for Ns1 and have fun that way.

I advise that The Devs make a "oldschool" Mode, but with new graphics. It would be like choosing maps.

Classic-NS2
Classic-NS1

Classic NS1 would have no changes to alien classes, no alien commander. The Marine side would have some changes, like you could purchase your own weapons, ect. But it would feel like NS1.

If they did that, then alot of people would be satisfied on both sides. Though that wont happen...

Comments

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    I understand you, but I would say the majority here is agree with the pending changes from NS1 to NS2. I will say "I miss that and that and that" when I actually played the game, but now its just too early.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Reserve judgement till the game is out. And if you don't like the way the game is, just mod it till its exactly like the old one. Nobody's going to stop you and I'm sure there are at least a couple of dozen people out there who wants to just play NS1 with upgraded graphics.

And I can't see why you need to have your own thread when there is this one:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=107256&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=107256&hl=</a>

which u actually posed in.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    changes are all for the better

if i wanted to play ns1, i would play ns1
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1726116:date=Sep 4 2009, 07:36 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Sep 4 2009, 07:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726116"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->changes are all for the better

if i wanted to play ns1, i would play ns1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    While I don't agree that "changes are all for the better" is universally correct, I do strongly agree with the second statement. It seems that most of the complaints about the released NS2 information all stem from the belief that NS2 <u>needs</u> to be NS1.

(I wanted to simply post QFT, but I also didn't want to make two GFT posts in a row.)
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    Having two modes would be a complete was of resources. What boggles my mind is this:

If a sequel has a lot of change, people complain that it is too much.
    If a sequel has very little change, people complain the game is too similar.
    If a sequel has a moderate amount of change, some people complain is that it is too similar to the original AND others complain there is too much change.

There is no way that the developers can please everyone. But personally, I would like NS2 to be different enough to warrant my 40 dollars.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726107:date=Sep 4 2009, 05:45 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Sep 4 2009, 05:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reserve judgement till the game is out. And if you don't like the way the game is, just mod it till its exactly like the old one. Nobody's going to stop you and I'm sure there are at least a couple of dozen people out there who wants to just play NS1 with upgraded graphics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

I <u>don't</u> mean avoid being critical, avoid posting contrary opinions, or even avoid comparing new features to old features you liked in NS1. That last bit <i>is</i> a valid frame of reference for discussion. Conversely, take everything with a grain of salt because there's a lot they haven't shown us; beyond speculation, we don't know how a lot of the new features fit into the larger scope of the game.
    What I find funny is that everyone says "mod it till you like it", but I doubt even 5% of the forum going population here is capable of doing such a thing. I am talking about the entire process of testing and finishing a LUA modification of the game, not just learning the language.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726081:date=Sep 4 2009, 12:30 AM:name=Vman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vman @ Sep 4 2009, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I left after i heard they were removing devour...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Glad to have you back, I guess. And don't worry because they are actually not going to remove devour from NS1, it's just that it won't be included in NS2. Same goes with all the changes you'll hear about NS2. None of it will affect NS1.

+1 to wanting NS2 to be different (and better!). Why would I want the same game to be installed twice in my hard-drive?
    +1 to holding off judgment until a playable release.

Think about how innovative NS1 is, and how well UWE pulled it off. Takes a lot of creativity to make something like NS1. Now they are making NS2 and you are asking them to just turn off their creativity? How much sense does that make? I bet that the funnest part of their job. Kind of selfish if you ask me.

Besides that, UWE has my trust in that whatever turns out to be broken/boring in NS2 will ultimately be fixed (think alpha and beta). So I'm not too worried.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The removal of devour and parasite from the Skulk is too much change? Come on I know they are making it different to NS1 in some ways but give it a break. Just because devour was something the Onos was known for doesn't mean everyone loved it. Wait for the game to come out and then talk about it. It's probably going to have alot of different features to NS1 but that's tough ######, it is meant to be a new game you know.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    change allows for a new game without making NS1 obsolete and depleting it of 100% of all its players.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1726179:date=Sep 5 2009, 11:25 AM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Sep 5 2009, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I find funny is that everyone says "mod it till you like it", but I doubt even 5% of the forum going population here is capable of doing such a thing. I am talking about the entire process of testing and finishing a LUA modification of the game, not just learning the language.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I find it funnier that someone goes 'devs please mod ns2 so it plays like n1'

rollseyes
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    To be honest, The Power Grid and changes in movement physic are going to change the game far more than a few alien abilities. The huge differences between NS and NS2 have been clearly visible for long now.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I don't think we can judge anything until a release of the game. Also we're still thinking and comparing in NS1 terms, where the devs have evolved beyond our understanding of the NS universe :p
    <!--quoteo(post=1726293:date=Sep 6 2009, 06:16 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Sep 6 2009, 06:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726293"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find it funnier that someone goes 'devs please mod ns2 so it plays like n1'

rollseyes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ya, your joke is funnier : P
  • VmanVman Join Date: 2007-09-11 Member: 62251Members
    edited September 2009
    I'm not asking Ns2 to be like Ns1... I don't mind the change, but why remove the skulk parasite? Why remove devour? I know change is needed, but its why those skills were removed. Devour was removed because a few 40% of the community complained about respawn time ["Waaah, I have to wait to respawn, after waiting because I got devoured because I ran out of base fully equipped because I r l33t Rambo :<"].

I'm asking for two modes, Is it that hard? One mode where you can play Ns1, and One mode where you can play Ns2. I honestly don't want ns2 itself as a whole to play exactly like ns1! But I really think that it would shut people up who do, that and make them happy. I'm not judging the game itself, but the change that is announced. Don't get me wrong, I believe ns2 will be a great game. But the boat is getting a bit too rocked for some of us, and why?

1.)Because it seems like the alien commander is turning into a mimic of the marine commander. This IS speculation, so don't think that I think its set in stone. But for alot of people, we played because we didn't like the whole idea of if the commander was bad, were kinda screwed this round. Other things come to mind but I know "walls of informative text" do not work on this board.

2.) Gorge dosent drop 'all' the chambers [correct me if im wrong but only offence and defence chambers]

3.) Skulk dosent have parasite.

4.) Lerk dosent have a melee/bite attack and is just ranged [not bad but just marking this change.]
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    There's already an NS1 mode, I was playing it earlier.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726321:date=Sep 6 2009, 12:20 PM:name=Vman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vman @ Sep 6 2009, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not [no actually i am] asking Ns2 to be like Ns1... I don't mind [yes i do] the change, but why remove the skulk parasite? Why remove devour?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The aliens are 100% more effective then the marines in small 5 vs 5 games. A gorge can get 2 rts up before marine start is ready (with 2 gorges getting 4 up in the same time)... Then get celerity and you can cruise to all the uncapped rts and seriously cap every node in a matter of minutes. I know because i did it (while putting up 2 other hives + chambers everywhere) in a small game, twice for two games, the other day. Both games ended in marine start dead (you had any doubts? roll 1 onos and 1 lerk to gas and it's game-over every time).

1. Skulk-parasite. The alien team, specifically skulks, are running out of the hive... dieing... and repeating... very rapidly over time chewing away at the marines (which need to gather equipment, request ammo, get ammo from armory, get health)... Skulks do NOTHING BUT KILL, and if they die then they are rewarded with a fast respawn.

So therefore, because of how long it takes for an obs to research MT, and the insane-early-game advantage that is parasite... the devs had no choice but, for the sake of balance, to remove parasite. Force the alien team to communicate with words about where the marines might be until their's a sc or whatever.

2. Onos-devour. The feature of NS1 that makes the majority of the NS1 community rage from the server. Ya marines get pissed off with that one. It's cheap/frustrating and far more destructive to the marine team then just killing the marine! It's because the marine team is usually out numbered (even more so in NS2 if you have 3 commanders playing)... where for all the marines on the team, only a handful are capable of fitting into the room/hallway with the fighting. It also makes heavies useless (and therefore a severe-risk for the commander to research).

In short, onos-devour was unbalanced as hell, as are most of the alien skills where once the aliens learn them, then they are far more effective then a marine that learned to aim-shoot the weak marine weaponry...

It looks like the devs are trying to make NS2 balanced (for most of the round... with different player totals... where they admit NS1 was not, once the player numbers are not ideal).
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1726321:date=Sep 6 2009, 11:20 AM:name=Vman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vman @ Sep 6 2009, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not asking Ns2 to be like Ns1... I don't mind the change, but why remove the skulk parasite? Why remove devour? I know change is needed, but its why those skills were removed. Devour was removed because a few 40% of the community complained about respawn time ["Waaah, I have to wait to respawn, after waiting because I got devoured because I ran out of base fully equipped because I r l33t Rambo :<"].

I'm asking for two modes, Is it that hard? One mode where you can play Ns1, and One mode where you can play Ns2. I honestly don't want ns2 itself as a whole to play exactly like ns1! But I really think that it would shut people up who do, that and make them happy. I'm not judging the game itself, but the change that is announced. Don't get me wrong, I believe ns2 will be a great game. But the boat is getting a bit too rocked for some of us, and why?

1.)Because it seems like the alien commander is turning into a mimic of the marine commander. This IS speculation, so don't think that I think its set in stone. But for alot of people, we played because we didn't like the whole idea of if the commander was bad, were kinda screwed this round. Other things come to mind but I know "walls of informative text" do not work on this board.

2.) Gorge dosent drop 'all' the chambers [correct me if im wrong but only offence and defence chambers]

3.) Skulk dosent have parasite.

4.) Lerk dosent have a melee/bite attack and is just ranged [not bad but just marking this change.]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Meh. I personally will judge NS2 as a whole package and trust that the devs will do this right.

LUA will let you (or others) re-build a NS1 in shinier graphics if you so choose. Beyond that, the devs are making NS2, and will make NS2.

On a more personal note, I like most of the changes so far. For example, even though both sides will have a commander, the commander-team playing is less restrictive and they can operate a bit more independently meaning "fail comm" does not mean "gg", just a bit of a handicap. I am a little sad about the Gorge change, but too many times have I had fail Gorges who ruin our lives building 5 sensory chambers in one spot.

I liken it to how several groups are trying to take the concept of DotA and do it better. You've got people like Heroes of Newerth made by S2 Games who are making as pure a DotA clone as possible but adding extra features. On the other hand, there's people like Riot Games making League of Legends who are making some core gameplay changes to enhance the gameplay. Then there's StarDock that made Demigod who took only the core basics of DotA and made almost a new game entirely. I feel NS2 is in the vein of the LoL style, trying to take it a step further even from the foundation, and I wish them the best of luck at getting it right.
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1726324:date=Sep 6 2009, 05:40 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Sep 6 2009, 05:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's already an NS1 mode, I was playing it earlier.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How many brain cells does it take to screw in a lightbulb :)?

<b>A Ns1 Mode [like how you seen combat maps] <u>For NS2</u> A MODE!</b> :)

---------------------

As far as onos devour goes, It could be balanced to where the time was less. There are alot of things that are made in games that piss people off [cant and shouldn't try to please them all... they have a word for people that do that type of stuff ya know]. But devour wasn't "That" bad. I fell prey to devour too much and you dont see me complaining. Devour just meant that hopefully [if the onos had bad aim] I could jump and weave back and forth out of his aim, which I've done on more than one occasion.
    As far as onos making heavy useless [<b>they are supposto, you need jetpacks a COUNTER to the onos</b>], maybe if the heavy listens to his commander instead of charging out LATE game. Then it wouldent be too useless, and where have you been when I play? Marines on the servers I play always outmatch the aliens, and ALMOST always win. So as far as having a few players that are good or better than you at using skills, biting marines, ect. Its not the gameplay problem, its the learning curve problem and you.

As i said before I aint posting obscene walls of text for you guys even if its warranted, what I say wont change what can and will happen. So I'll just stick to Ns1, at least the clan I'm in can focus in on the points of each post that is made in their forum instead of nit-picking choice words and making up things out of HALF of what i said... Muyeah
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    You want a NS1 mode within a NS2 mode. I get it. How difficult is it to do? Seriously? Probably not very difficult. How difficult is it to do a NS1 mode within a NS2 mode, and complete NS2 by Fall 09 at the same time? Impossible. So you definitely can't expect a NS1 within NS2 official release. So it would be up to the modders to satisfy you once the game will be out. And I do hope that you yourself are a modder so that you can do that.

Want to know why you get so muck flak? Might be because of your title. Your title, too much change?, implies that you are absolutely not happy with the changes for NS2 and want them totally removed and have NS2 to be just like NS1. Just change your title to "I want a NS1 mode ON TOP of the NS2 game". Unfortunately however, there are already at least 5 topics like that out there to my knowledge.
  • chisschiss Join Date: 2008-06-05 Member: 64395Members, Constellation
    CLEARLY THERE WILL BE AN NS1 LUA GAME MODE!

MAYBE YOU SHOULD READ THINGS BEFORE YOU POST AND ASK ME TO READ YOUR REDUNDANT POST?!
    If I want to play NS1, I'll play NS1 we already have. It's aged appearance goes with its aged mechanics (by modern standards). The nostalgia is what keeps me still interested in NS1 in all honesty. If the old memorable appearance is taken away and was presented as a "new" game, I would be play it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1726367:date=Sep 7 2009, 01:34 AM:name=chiss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chiss @ Sep 7 2009, 01:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1726367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CLEARLY THERE WILL BE AN NS1 LUA GAME MODE!

MAYBE YOU SHOULD READ THINGS BEFORE YOU POST AND ASK ME TO READ YOUR REDUNDANT POST?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe you should use less caps, but that dosent stop you from posting in it :)
    --------------

Anyway, yea. Thats why i still and will continue to play Ns1, but i feel ns1 will die right then and there when ns2 comes out. Which is kinda why i am wondering if there will be a...

<b> Official Ns1 Classic Map Mode </b> in Ns2.

Apparently im not the only one who believes its not hard. Anway this is my last post here, so any moderater out there wanna close/delete/destroy/dismantle this topic. Please do, I'm done with it.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    edited September 2009
    NS is a great game that I still enjoy playing. More than anything what I hope to gain from NS2 is a larger community that can sustain organized play. NS2 will <b>not</b> be as good as NS1, of this I have no doubt. For this reason I would have much preferred NS2 be a simple graphics port. However, if NS2 can sustain organized play it may be worth playing instead of NS1.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    Change in video games is usually not bad.

It isn't like Nobama change... which sucks.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    organized play over and over again will kill the game quickly. its just like a routine game, boring.

its all about chaos which make games fun and the options that players have. people want to play games, whether the purpose is to win, piss off your team, rambo, or just mess around.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1730137:date=Oct 1 2009, 08:47 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Oct 1 2009, 08:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->organized play over and over again will kill the game quickly. its just like a routine game, boring.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How did you come up with this theory?