NS2 Achievements

FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">It's all Kwils fault!</div>So, Kwil got me thinking.
Sure everyone hates achievements, but mainly because they are usually a stupid grindfest or tied to an advantage giving award.
So lets make up some potential NS 2 achievements, that are fun and non grindy.
Goodbye: Kill 10000 Aliens and hello:

<ol type='i'><li>Achievment Name </li><li>Short description</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Heart of Stone </li><li>Kill 10 Gorges in Shield Mode</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Zzzzaaaapp </li><li>Tazer a leaping skulk</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Big Brother </li><li>Catch an idle marine and use the motivator to get them moving again.</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Ohhhh, shiny. </li><li>Get telefragged by an infantry portal</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Kill it with fire! </li><li>Set 3 different aliens ablaze in only 5 seconds.</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Don't flintch </li><li>Hide in plain side of marines without moving for 10 consecutive seconds</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Figure skating </li><li>Perform a 360 while belly sliding</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>It used to work that way... </li><li>Try to railjump 50 times</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Envy </li><li>Vote eject 100 times with only 20 seconds on the roundtimer.</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Humiliation </li><li>Healspray that last rine to death</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Oldschool </li><li>Use the words "lork", "clorf" and "shirtgun" in a single sentence</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Matter of habbit </li><li>As a commander use the same build order 5 times in a row.</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Way too talkative... </li><li>Get muted by 20 different players.</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Fatty rush </li><li>Win a game during the first 60 seconds with at least 50% of aliens playing as gorge.</li></ol>

Comments

• glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I vote no achievements.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    no achievements = good idea. Detracts waaaaay too much from the core of the game.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    how does it detract? no one is making you do them, and a lot of people enjoy them
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
    i like achievments. ...as long as u dont get any advantage from it.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1724538:date=Aug 22 2009, 09:56 PM:name=kicker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kicker @ Aug 22 2009, 09:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i like achievments. ...as long as u dont get any advantage from it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damit, I was just about to post the same.

I vote yes for achievements.
  • HebachebaHebacheba Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67872Members
    I'm going to say no to achievements. They always make me feel like I'm back in preschool and I'm getting a gold star for spelling my name right.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    It is a waste of the developers' time.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    The only achievement we should be talking about is getting out the alpha. No achievements.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    Achievements (while I dont care about them myself) get people playing games.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Few months ago we did a huge thread about achievements and their were heaps of ideas. Search is your friend
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    No achievements please. It's annoying and has no point whatsoever :/
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Achievements yes, but in a later patch. It's practically a requirement if they release it for the xbox 360 (not sure if this is still in the works or not)
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well I definitely wouldn't mind some achievements, some Steam games seem to have them now-a-days and they are a neat thing to play towards sometimes. But I definitely wouldn't miss them either.
  • borsukborsuk Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67717Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724532:date=Aug 22 2009, 08:54 PM:name=Faskalia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Faskalia @ Aug 22 2009, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So lets make up some potential NS 2 achievements, that are fun and non grindy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let me try.

Kill 10 Gorges in Shield Mode
    <b>Translation: waste bullets on gorges you probably can't kill. It gets especially interesting if it's in one match - rest assured players will ignore nearby skullks to target shielding gorge instead.</b>

Tazer a leaping skulk
    <b>Handicap your team by using weaker weapons, and not playing to your full potential. If out of ammo, don't go to resupply.</b>

Get telefragged by an infantry portal
    <b>
    So I'm a skulk and I've managed to get to an unguarded portal. Should I
    a) destroy it
    b) step into it and get an achievement ?
    The non-choice is easy - no achievement for destroying the portal and helping your team... At least for the first time.</b>

Set 3 different aliens ablaze in only 5 seconds.
    <b>
    Translation:
    Charge blindly into any big group of aliens, dying in the process, waste resources spent on flamethrower that could help the team better.</b>

Hide in plain side of marines without moving for 10 consecutive seconds
    <b>No sensible way to detect this. A marine may see you but unable to shoot for some reason - out of ammo, shooting something else, no weapon etc.</b>

Perform a 360 while belly sliding
    <b>Translation:
    handicap your team by confusing them into thinking they have a gorge, and can safely use other lifeforms. Just keep practicing.</b>

Try to railjump 50 times
    <b>
    Translation:
    get your teammates to votekick you.</b>

Vote eject 100 times with only 20 seconds on the roundtimer.
    <b>
    Translation:
    be a jerk</b>

Healspray that last rine to death
    <b>
    Translation:
    Bore the remaining marine players into joing another server. I know it's <i>very</i> fun in Tremulous when the game doesn't end with all buildings dead and you need to hunt that last spider-sized alien down on a metro station map. </b>

As a commander use the same build order 5 times in a row.
    <b>
    Translation:
    Don't adapt. Bring your team down.</b>

Get muted by 20 different players.
    <b>Do I get an achievement for teamkilling too ?</b>

Bottom line: achievemnts suck more than people think. Supporters of achievements themvselves prove achievements suck. Implementing achievements in your game is like admitting you know your game isn't fun, and people won't come back just to play it. As shown above, they are often <i>worse</i> than useless because they negatively impact players' behaviour. Classic example - reward player for healing/reviving teammates. A good teammate medic would prevent his teamamtes from dying and revive only those who didn't make it. Achievement obsessed players will watch his teammates die.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    An achievement for ejecting and getting muted... GREAT, let's destroy ns2
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    I'd like to cite TF2 as an example. When the game first came out and I didnt really know about the achievements me and my roommate just played for the fun of the game. As soon as we found out about the achievements we immediately entered grind mode, not because we wanted to, but because we felt compelled to. Not only that, but when they implemented the new weapons as rewards for achievements we would routinely spend entire rounds repeating the same repetitious actions to try and finish an achievement. Of course it never helped our team that I kept trying to eat a sandwich while upside down on a unicorn int he enemy base, but I didn't care, I just wanted to get the little trophy and fanfare. Bottom line is, that got old FAST. Can't really see myself willingly playing TF2 for a while now, GG Valve.

So if theres one thing we should learn from that experience is that achievements DETRACT from GAMEPLAY! NO ACHIEVEMENTS IN NS2! I usually take a pretty relaxed stance for news/suggestions but this is something I feel pretty strongly about.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724606:date=Aug 23 2009, 07:31 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Aug 23 2009, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to cite TF2 as an example. When the game first came out and I didnt really know about the achievements me and my roommate just played for the fun of the game. As soon as we found out about the achievements we immediately entered grind mode, not because we wanted to, but because we felt compelled to. Not only that, but when they implemented the new weapons as rewards for achievements we would routinely spend entire rounds repeating the same repetitious actions to try and finish an achievement. Of course it never helped our team that I kept trying to eat a sandwich while upside down on a unicorn int he enemy base, but I didn't care, I just wanted to get the little trophy and fanfare. Bottom line is, that got old FAST. Can't really see myself willingly playing TF2 for a while now, GG Valve.

So if theres one thing we should learn from that experience is that achievements DETRACT from GAMEPLAY! NO ACHIEVEMENTS IN NS2! I usually take a pretty relaxed stance for news/suggestions but this is something I feel pretty strongly about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When TF2 first came out pretty much no-one "grinded" achievements, or really cared about getting them. How many people do you see grinding achievements in L4D? Maybe one or two with OCD, and that's it. What turned TF2 into grind mode was linking rewards to achievements, though Valve made things better along the way by making them easier to get. That said, lets look at how most of the achievements in TF2 fall into a number of categories.

1. Easy achievements which give you a feel for a class. These are very much intermediate ones which give you a good idea what you should be doing when playing a particular class.

E.g. Set 5 people on fire as a Pyro, Heal 25,000 total points as a Medic, Get 25 Headshots as Sniper.

Using NS1, we could work with some like this:

Stun and Digest 25 Heavy Marines, Heal 25,000 total points as Gorge, Destroy a resource node as Skulk, build 25 structures as Marine, help destroy a Hive, follow 50 waypoints

2. Achievements which promote good gameplay as a class. These serve as the next step up, further rewarding specific gameplay which again reinforces what you should be doing. These are more difficult to pull off and require a greater understanding of class mechanics.

E.g. Get 3 headshots in a row without missing, Kill a Soldier with a reflected critical rocket, Kill a medic with full ubercharge

Again, NS1 equivalents could be

Use Blink and Swipe to kill 5 Marines in one life as Fade, Destroy 3 marine structures in one life as Gorge, kill an alien with a hand grenade, weld 10 vents shut

3. Achievements which are based around a fluke occurrence happening, or which require you to perform actions which your class should not be doing.

E.g. Get 6 axe kills in one life as Pyro, hit an enemy with your Bonesaw 5 times in a row without missing, kill 3 enemies as Scout in a single ubercharge.

NS1 mode go!

Get 3 Parasite kills as Skulk, Kill 3 Heavies as Lerk using only Bite, Kill 3 enemies in one life as Gorge without using Offense Chambers, kill an Onos with a knife, when equipped with a shotgun get 3 kills with Pistol in one life, when equipped with Grenade launcher knife 2 structures to death in one life.

If NS2 was to stick to the first 2 categories, and didn't tie them to unlocks, I honestly can't see any problem with having achievements. NS1 is a very difficult game to pick up, and new players tend to get intimidated. Achievements like these give new players excellent feedback on what they should and should not be doing. Far from detracting from gameplay, they serve to promote it.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    If there are going to be milestone achievements I want to have them kept strictly so that they are only achieved by playing equally matched rounds. So, no "Get 50 turret kills" or "Devour 500 rines". "Devour 500 HAs" on the other hand is more reasonable as the HA signifies that marines are still in the game and the game isn't unnecessary prolonged just to get the reward.

Doing something in one life isn't that good for NS either. There are moments when you're supposed to take risks and make sacrifices to get something done.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    In NS2 I guess it's safe to say that no rewards after completeing achievements.

Achievements are only allowed if they helps new players to get to know the game.
    Since I can't imagine that old players would have any left to achieve.
  • Clueless_SheepClueless_Sheep Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46285Members
    I quite like the idea of achievements, it distracts from the norm a bit and, as the name sugests, give a nice sence of achievement when it is aquired which is something ive always liked.

You just have to be carefull about ones you make available, for an extreem example "invasive surgery - Knife an onos to death" or somthing of the like. An achievement like that will have marrines droping all their weps and running an Onoses with Knives held high. which will enevitably end in much death, and not for the Onos.

So as long as they are one that dont encorage players to do somthing that would otherwise be considered stupid play im all for it.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    A lot of people like achievements and they would be easy to do, probably even easier because of the SteamWorks integration. They don't hurt anybody and can add fun challenges to the game or encourage good player behavior. People who are saying "No Achievements" are just being silly. I very much doubt they will be linked with rewards, so ignore them if you don't like them.
  • BriligBrilig Join Date: 2009-01-01 Member: 65938Members
    + 1 to Ryo-Ohki 's post.
    I can definitely see achievments like those helping to point new players in the right direction. If a tutorial is added in I'd make compleating the tutorial an achievment as well.
    <!--quoteo(post=1724647:date=Aug 23 2009, 04:28 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 23 2009, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot of people like achievements and they would be easy to do, probably even easier because of the SteamWorks integration. They don't hurt anybody and can add fun challenges to the game or encourage good player behavior. People who are saying "No Achievements" are just being silly. I very much doubt they will be linked with rewards, so ignore them if you don't like them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They're not being silly. It's ridiculously easy to make achievement that encourage game prolonging and distract people from working for the team's good. TF2 achievements work because the game has no tech/res advantages and the teamwork code isn't as strict as in NS.

I think some achievements can work, but there are a lot more of limits for them than in most other games.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724657:date=Aug 23 2009, 02:47 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Aug 23 2009, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They're not being silly. It's ridiculously easy to make achievement that encourage game prolonging and distract people from working for the team's good. TF2 achievements work because the game has no tech/res advantages and the teamwork code isn't as strict as in NS.

I think some achievements can work, but there are a lot more of limits for them than in most other games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see achievements as more of a response to the player that they did something right. For example, there should be an achievement for a marine spotting a skulk in a vent. I find the whole "do a backflip while knifing an onos" type achievements to be a determent.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724532:date=Aug 22 2009, 08:54 PM:name=Faskalia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Faskalia @ Aug 22 2009, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, Kwil got me thinking.
    Sure everyone hates achievements, but mainly because they are usually a stupid grindfest or tied to an advantage giving award.
    So lets make up some potential NS 2 achievements, that are fun and non grindy.
    Goodbye: Kill 10000 Aliens and hello:

<ol type='i'><li>It used to work that way... </li><li>Try to railjump 50 times</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Envy </li><li>Vote eject 100 times with only 20 seconds on the roundtimer.</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Way too talkative... </li><li>Get muted by 20 different players.</li></ol>

<ol type='i'><li>Fatty rush </li><li>Win a game during the first 60 seconds with at least 50% of aliens playing as gorge.</li></ol><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->These do exactly what achievements shouldn't be doing: reward you for grinding meaningless, counter-productive or arbitrary actions. I hope none of the achievements are anything like this.

In an ideal world, the achievements should be split between 40% that actively teach you the less-intuitive/most important mechanics in the game (e.g. Parasite 20 Marines), 40% that are hard-to-reach-but-not-impossible rewards (Heal over xxxxHP in one life as a Gorge) and 20% that are the toughest ones to get (e.g. Win 50 matches as Marine/Alien Commander).
    <!--quoteo(post=1724660:date=Aug 23 2009, 06:53 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 23 2009, 06:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see achievements as more of a response to the player that they did something right. For example, there should be an achievement for a marine spotting a skulk in a vent. I find the whole "do a backflip while knifing an onos" type achievements to be a determent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you're willing to keep them simple it works indeed. I don't know how far they can go though. It wouldn't probably be worth the implementation if all the achievements are unlocked after 2 hrs of gameplay.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I'm not that familiar with Steam or X360 achievements, but wouldn't it be possible to have achievement accords? Get a few friends, grind achievements in succession, take turns.
    That's what I generally don't like about achievements, they usually don't reflect much.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    Achievements on Steam don't give you any meta points, unlike Xbox Live. So as long as you don't tie achievements to some reward (like in TF2 -- thank god they're changing that) there would be little motivation to grind achievements.

Achievements draw attention from gamers; a very small percentage of games have them on Steam. Properly designed achievements can actually encourage proper play, similar to map load tips but with positive reinforcement. Reward actions that help the team. Quirky achievements (eg. get two punch kills while ubered in TF2) aren't helpful and probably should be avoided.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    It's not as big a deal as you're making it, anyone who's really obsessed with unlocking achievements will just join an "achievement server" anyway...
  • MrChadMrChad Melbourne, Australia Join Date: 2008-07-02 Member: 64536Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1724581:date=Aug 23 2009, 01:20 PM:name=CyberMantis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberMantis @ Aug 23 2009, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only achievement we should be talking about is getting out the alpha. No achievements.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1