Has the Taser been dropped?

iPandaiPanda Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68417Members
Just a quick question, we have currently got a Poll going on for a Pistol which we were originally lead to believe
was axed for the Taser. But now with the Pistol concepts does this mean the Tasers being Dropped or is it going to be avalable as a weapon upgrade from the armoury (this would be preferable).

Comments

• SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    Nothing has been officially stated but it seems a lot of people did not like the taser concept so the team is rethinking the idea.

I am in the anti taser camp.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I don't think so. It looks like they are redesigning the appearance of the game to make it look more threatening.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    As of now, the Taser is dropped. It's less then favorable reception by the community got us to rethink the taser, which we weren't quite comfortable with to begin with. After discussing it at length internally we felt a return to the tried and true pistol would be the best way to go, for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps the Taser may make a reappearance in some form down the road, but for now we've moved on.

--Cory
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited August 2009
    Damn, I was hoping for something new in the secondary weapon department.

Maybe the TAZER should be 3rd Tier for the Marines. Like it would require a built Prototype Lab before being purchased, and cost 5/10 resources.

I think that would be fair, just to upgrade your pistol to the taser.

Also, if there is a model already created with basic animations, let the Alpha/Beta Testers decide if it does fit or not. If not, then I guess oh well. =(
    <!--quoteo(post=1724129:date=Aug 20 2009, 09:30 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 20 2009, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As of now, the Taser is dropped. It's less then favorable reception by the community got us to rethink the taser, which we weren't quite comfortable with to begin with. After discussing it at length internally we felt a return to the tried and true pistol would be the best way to go, for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps the Taser may make a reappearance in some form down the road, but for now we've moved on.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh wow, I am honestly surprised by this.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    hmm bit of a shame, but i guess the welder is going to be used much like the taser?
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited August 2009
    Getting Welder Killed will still be the biggest Humilation Kill in the Natural Slection Universe, with the Knife coming in at a close third.

Second place is reserved for the Gorge's Heal Spray of death. (Now with AoE Enhancments)
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724129:date=Aug 20 2009, 09:30 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 20 2009, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As of now, the Taser is dropped. It's less then favorable reception by the community got us to rethink the taser, which we weren't quite comfortable with to begin with. After discussing it at length internally we felt a return to the tried and true pistol would be the best way to go, for a variety of reasons.

Both sorry and glad to hear it- perhaps it is for the best, at least at this stage of the *ahem* game. Its still a good idea, keep it on the shelf.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724129:date=Aug 21 2009, 11:30 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 21 2009, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As of now, the Taser is dropped. It's less then favorable reception by the community got us to rethink the taser, which we weren't quite comfortable with to begin with. After discussing it at length internally we felt a return to the tried and true pistol would be the best way to go, for a variety of reasons.

Less than favorable?

Was a small minority of community posters who were against it... Majority of posters were "I'll wait until I see it in play before I pass final judgement" and there were more people in support of it (positive posting) than there were negative posting.

:(

Sad to see the minority have made you guys stray from your vision of the game.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2009
    Taser was just too silly of an idea. The name itself just conveyed the overall worthlessness the weapon would have possessed when a killing-tool is needed most.

Just a bit more input here but people want overkill to be common to all their NS2 weapons. For nerf, just play NS1.

I think people would be more comfortable if we had a pistol with a reddot and a giant magazine. Perhaps it can also fire in burst or full auto. A revolver that fired full-size shotgun shells would of been ok :P
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724152:date=Aug 20 2009, 10:25 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Aug 20 2009, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Less than favorable?

Was a small minority of community posters who were against it... Majority of posters were "I'll wait until I see it in play before I pass final judgement" and there were more people in support of it (positive posting) than there were negative posting.

Sad to see the minority have made you guys stray from your vision of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, not really a minority at all. The addition of the pistol is great news.

One of the reasons why the pistol was amazing was because of its accuracy. It served the purpose of doing damage at long range, wasn't overpowered due to mag size, and it didn't become obsolete once the game went on to the mid/late stages. To see it replaced by a taser means the secondary pistol slot would no longer serve this purpose and that would <i>really</i> suck.

Something that was very strange to me was on the taser blog post the dev's said they wanted "a secondary weapon that's not be better than the primary." That led me to think they were under the impression that the pistol was somehow better than the LMG. If the dev's thought the pistol was better than the LMG then I'd be very disappointed in their judgment. Different does not equal better as every weapon should have its own role and not be instantly overshadowed by tech.

They've said they want NS to be as successful as Starcraft. In Starcraft there really isn't a unit that gets overshadowed by tech and each unit (or weapon in this case) having it's own unique purpose is a good thing. If the purpose of the taser was to mainly do damage to buildings there are a million other ways to go about creating a weapon to serve that purpose without destroy the marine's pistol.
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724152:date=Aug 20 2009, 10:25 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Aug 20 2009, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Less than favorable?

Sad to see the minority have made you guys stray from your vision of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thus my surprise.

It would be nice if the pistol and new melee weapon will have a creative hook. I can handle the pistol, since it is hard to get away from - but please make the melee weapon not be boring. A super charged cattle prod with a secondary to fry buildings would be better than a plain old knife.

EDIT: RE: SentrySteve, I remember DaWorm counting the number of people pro/against the idea. The majority of people were positive or undecided. The majority of posts however, were the people complaining about the idea.

EDIT2: Found:

<!--quoteo(post=1719703:date=Jul 28 2009, 12:14 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 28 2009, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719703"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->90 - Neutral
    47 - Positive
    36 - Negative

Total = 173

There are a few posts not counted for not contributing anything either way (and completely random merely talking about mines and how they should work)

<b>To clarify how I get these numbers, I do a two-step process.</b>
    I boil it down to a simple question: ""Is the taser I good idea for NS2?""
    * Yes
    * No
    * Unsure

From there if the user has put more than "I like this idea, bring it on UWE" or similar comments I'll expand the view into the rest of their post based on their keypoints.

Commonly this revolves around: "This is good! But I don't like how you describe it's function, why not try this?" type of posts

Majority of Unsure posters are holding judgement till they get to see it in-game play, and a few of them like the idea of the taser but would prefer it as an "optional" extra to the knife and/or pistol (note: not always both)

There are 4-5 positive posters that slid into the unsure category based on successive posts and/or large posts with concerns over how it will fit into the gameplay and be fitting enough to not seem like a "we did it cause we can" kind of weapon.

Some negative posters revolved around "don't take my blankie" type retorts. IE: They had it in NS1, so it should stay in NS2.
    A couplle almost slid to Unsure but said they didn't want taser, but a rework of the pistol with a different alternative melee option available (bashing with the lmg/hmg for example)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1724157:date=Aug 21 2009, 12:38 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 21 2009, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thus my surprise.

It would be nice if the pistol and new melee weapon will have a creative hook. I can handle the pistol, since it is hard to get away from - but please make the melee weapon not be boring. A super charged cattle prod with a secondary to fry buildings would be better than a plain old knife.

EDIT: RE: SentrySteve, I remember DaWorm counting the number of people pro/against the idea. The majority of people were positive or undecided. The majority of posts however, were the people complaining about the idea.

EDIT2: Found:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's the first count through - not the whole thread.
    <!--quoteo(post=1724157:date=Aug 20 2009, 10:38 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 20 2009, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: RE: SentrySteve, I remember DaWorm counting the number of people pro/against the idea. The majority of people were positive or undecided. The majority of posts however, were the people complaining about the idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I didn't post in that thread and I don't like the taser idea so +1 to that camp.
    Even the devs weren't too sure about the idea. A lot of people here seem to just want a bunch of really flashy toys, unfortunately these toys may be fun to play with but they may not make for good game play.
    Here's the most recent count. I'm sure there were a few more to those numbers but the whole thread I had posted it in (about 5-6 pages long) isn't coming up in searches...
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=107063&st=20&p=1719730&#entry1719730" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry1719730</a>
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724165:date=Aug 20 2009, 10:51 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Aug 20 2009, 10:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's the most recent count. I'm sure there were a few more to those numbers but the whole thread I had posted it in (about 5-6 pages long) isn't coming up in searches...
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=107063&st=20&p=1719730&#entry1719730" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry1719730</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry for posting the wrong link, I'll update my post.

EDIT: The Taser did not seem like a bad idea. The concept of combining of the secondary range and melee together is a good one. The opposition was split into four camps:
    1) The concept of energy weapons in the Natural Selection universe is odd.
    2) The suggested implementation of the weapon is unwieldy.
    3) LOL Taser is a dumb name. Why does it stun? (For the record, stunning was never mentioned in the weapon description...)
    4) I like the old pistol and knife.

Two of those camps I consider legit. Guess which two.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    Wow... I really liked the taser, it was new, fresh and pretty bad***.

I mean really, with the technology of Natural Selection 2, with FTL ships, teleporters, offworld colonies, cybernetics etc. They can't make a taser that sends out 10'000 volts on max settings? I'd feel safer with one of those, aim it in the general direction of enemy and fry, instead of hoping for a headshot with a puny pistol.
    They could also add laser and plasma weapons but NS has always stayed away from flashy concepts like that, I believe for the best.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    haha you guys are gonna make the devs pull their hair out! so may mixed messages about everything. I say stop beating the dead cat, they've already decided to not do the taser and we need to respect that and let them work on the game. I do hope it makes a return though later :D but for now lets not waste time arguing when there's much more pressing things to be completed for NS2.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724157:date=Aug 20 2009, 10:38 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 20 2009, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: RE: SentrySteve, I remember DaWorm counting the number of people pro/against the idea. The majority of people were positive or undecided. The majority of posts however, were the people complaining about the idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, because that matters and somehow backs up the claim that a 'small minority' wanted the taser removed.

Oh wait, not at all.

Looking at everything on paper, I agree completely with the dev's that adding a NS1-like pistol is better, for gameplay reasons, than how taser described in the blogpost.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724177:date=Aug 21 2009, 03:21 AM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Aug 21 2009, 03:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724177"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They could also add laser and plasma weapons but NS has always stayed away from flashy concepts like that, I believe for the best.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As of right now there is research into laser weapons, we also have experimental ship mounted railguns (The definition of a sci fi weapon)... plasma weapons maybe not, but I wouldn't say never to that. Right now we could develop a taser which could easily kill, but it would probably be large and unwieldy. Thing is though, as time goes by one thing is guaranteed, portable/hand held devices will always get smaller and smaller. Think about how technology such as mobile phones/laptop computers have come from large bulky, short lived (Battery wise), featurless boxes to now small, long lasting, multi purpose devices.
    Just change the taser design to something a bit more inline with the nature/biological inspired look, make it a bit less 'flimsy' looking and give it the impression of being able to be thrown about.

The most flashy thing about NS to me would be the faster than light ship drives. Even the teleporters make sense, I remember reading about the research a few years back.
    <!--quoteo(post=1724202:date=Aug 21 2009, 01:24 AM:name=Fortune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fortune @ Aug 21 2009, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As of right now there is research into laser weapons, we also have experimental ship mounted railguns (The definition of a sci fi weapon)...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah... I know there is research into these fields that wasn't the point.
  • ShzarShzar Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21098Members, Constellation
    Bah. I was looking forward to a new sidearm. I am a little disappointed, though I trust the developers will make whatever they choose work. Hopefully the pistol won't be a fully automatic sniper rifle in cognito. I wonder what the melee weapon will be, then ... I would like something different from a knife. I think Sirot suggested a prod-type weapon. I would enjoy that. It could have a swipe attack for swift targets and a thrust attack effective against slow aliens and structures.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724180:date=Aug 21 2009, 04:41 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Aug 21 2009, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, because that matters and somehow backs up the claim that a 'small minority' wanted the taser removed.

Oh wait, not at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because people tend to post when they disagree and tend not to when they think everything's fine.

In any case, I'm somewhat disappointed with the decision, not because I liked the taser (I didn't dislike it, but didn't love it), but because, as Sirot pointed out, it was often shot down for the wrong reasons.
    Remember, the devs already said they weren't satisfied with the NS1 pistol's role. So yes, I understand all the nostalgia around the pistol whipping, but it's not going to carry on. So replacing a last-resort sidearm with another last-resort sidearm is much more of an atmospheric/immersive detail. And that's where the "lol grandma purse item!" crowd comes in...

So yes, I agree that it could feel out of place to have an energy weapon as standard marine equipment, but I don't believe it to be completely out of context.
    The implementation was very complicated, but that's what testing is for, right?
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    ^^ I'm going to have to disagree there. Lots of people post positive feedback, many more so than negative feedback. Your theory that only the people who disagree voice their opinion is true in everyday life where 90% of people are apathetic about everything. But as far as I've seen EVERY active member of this forum comments on EVERY aspect of the game whether it be criticism or adulation.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I meant a positive comment takes a line in a post. A negative one takes effort to explain why not, and constant reminders of the poster's point of view (example: this post, in reference to my previous post).

Now, bar visual updates (because NS2 is just so darn sexy), and the vast majority of topics are to fix something that needs fixing.

And before I get flamed, this is not criticism. By positive/negative, I don't mean good or bad, but rather "it works, I've got nothing to add"/"That's how I see it instead". It is natural behavior to not add anything when there is nothing to add. And while I for one am very happy with the way things are going with NS2, I don't say it more often than a short thumbs up at every blog update, yet I spend time posting on minor details.
  • iPandaiPanda Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68417Members
    edited August 2009
    Well I think if the Devs have the time they should try this.
    Intergrate the taser as a Pistol slot upgrade or possibally knife , much the same as how the shotgun is an upgrade for the Lmg.
    Even if this is just for the beta. Then just get it polled input by Beta players on the basis of.
    Yes keep it
    No drop it.
    If you already have done all the hard work and effort go for it try it. Overall you guys created the Game. So surely you have a better idea were the game should be going. I think the community would agree this is idea is fair.

[Edit Spelling]
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    I don't think they're going to bother getting a taser modelled, animated and coded just to test it in the alpha/beta - would be a waste of time and resources if it wasn't implemented.

Personally I was willing to see how it panned out, but happy to have my pistol back.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Good choice imho...

The pistol in NS was just one of the most memorable and awesome weapons in the game, it really also defined how good a marine was..

I think it would have been a major mistake to drop one the most icon weapons in the game.
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1724325:date=Aug 21 2009, 12:05 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 21 2009, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good choice imho...

The pistol in NS was just one of the most memorable and awesome weapons in the game, it really also defined how good a marine was..

I think it would have been a major mistake to drop one the most icon weapons in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The pistol isn't in any way iconic. It's a pistol...every game has a pistol. It's pin point accuracy is related closely to the Halo 1 Pistol in terms of functionality. Funnily enough, the Halo 1 Pistol was also deemed one of the best weapons in that game because it too, was basically a fast firing rifle.

EDIT: Moved to my reply to SentrySteve.