Map Enviroments

Sooper1337Sooper1337 Join Date: 2009-03-21 Member: 66836Members
Are They Going to be different kinds of map environment in ns2? something other than the giant structure that everyone is so convieniently locked into. something like big open maps would be epic =D like on a giant structure in the middle of the ocean. or a giant open space station. something with alot more moverability. something that would be really awsome and creepy would be like a jungle environment. it would give the aliens a huge advantage. but it would make a really good challenge for the marines.

Comments

• NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1723026:date=Aug 15 2009, 04:22 PM:name=Sooper1337)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sooper1337 @ Aug 15 2009, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are They Going to be different kinds of map environment in ns2? something other than the giant structure that everyone is so convieniently locked into. something like big open maps would be epic =D like on a giant structure in the middle of the ocean. or a giant open space station. something with alot more moverability. something that would be really awsome and creepy would be like a jungle environment. it would give the aliens a huge advantage. but it would make a really good challenge for the marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt it, but a properly made jungle would be amazing. Hives in the trees, hives in a cave! Skulks in the river !! Lerks swooping down off cliffs. Out doors might be pretty awesome.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2009
    Natural Selection 2 is going to be all in-door environments. Somewhere in an interview though ( I think I read this ), if the devs get to the point of making an expansion, they would consider doing outdoor environments, but it wont be anytime soon.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I believe at this stage everything initially is going to be indoors. I can't remember where but I either read or watched (IE: post or video) something talking about eventually adding in the option of having natural environments. IE: rock walls etc. So this is something on the cards for a future update after launch at the minimum.
  • MrChadMrChad Melbourne, Australia Join Date: 2008-07-02 Member: 64536Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The FAQ, which you can find <a href="http://www.naturalselection2.com/faq/game-questions/will-there-be-any-outdoor-environments.html" target="_blank">here</a>, states that outdoor environments aren't expected any time soon. Which possibly means we may get it in the end ;D
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well the main reason for having outdoor environments is because it gets awfully problematic when you factor in fades, lerks, jetpacks, or maybe even skulks. It can just become far too hard to balance and may require weird "hacks" to keep it all in order like randomly placed clip brushes and still result in some bad rspeeds (or some bad +showbudget readings for you source folks).

We can always have stuff like Biodome that sort of simulate an outdoor area though. And you can't forget about windows that view... into space.
  • Jackson3113Jackson3113 Join Date: 2008-05-16 Member: 64272Members
    The top half's of the arms cross through each other as they fold out in the animation.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1723755:date=Aug 20 2009, 10:58 AM:name=MrChad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrChad @ Aug 20 2009, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The FAQ, which you can find <a href="http://www.naturalselection2.com/faq/game-questions/will-there-be-any-outdoor-environments.html" target="_blank">here</a>, states that outdoor environments aren't expected any time soon. Which possibly means we may get it in the end ;D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's where I read it.