Old Gamer Revisits

CafuddledCafuddled Join Date: 2009-08-12 Member: 68438Members
<div class="IPBDescription">An old gamer reflecting on the time he had in the good old days</div>Hi everyone, I have never posted on here, nor have I played the game in at least 2 years. I have some questions I want to ask about the game as it is and the way the game is going with the new development of Natural Selection 2.

I used to play back in the day when the first NS was released in the beta stages, when it seemed as not a day would go by before a patch was released and things were updated. I’ll lay my cards on the table right now and save everyone some time (please note that this is from my point of view, I want to know if other people agree with the way I feel). I stopped playing NS when the games were made shorter, when the almost constant stalemate type marathon games that were undeniably assured at the start of each game were taken away from us.

For me the most memorable moments of the old NS were when you would be down to your last resource node after an hour long game with a full tech tree and you would fight to the bone to keep that other team from penetrating your defences and wiping you out. The games end would take almost 20 minutes to end if not more and you where nonstop franticly killing everything you can see. Using real skill and real endurance to keep your team alive and hopefully (by some miracle) break out of this almost one-sided stale mate to take out the other team and win the unwinnable battle.

But all that ended around the same time the 2.0 patch (I believe it was called) was released, with games mealy lasting 20 minutes if you were lucky and near stalemates never happening as the balancing of each team became needle thin, one mistake and it was all over (whatever happened to being 3 nodes down and still winning?). For me it seemed that what made this game different from all the other hordes of HL mods that were being released at the time, was somehow taken away with that patch.

So I am here to ask the question, does anyone else feel that way, have things changed? Are things going back to the way that made NS great to begin with? Or is the same new game just being given a facelift?

Would a marathon type ‘game option’ be an option for the new NS to give gamers who like to play a game of FPS chess more of the thrill that they crave?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Just an old gamer reflecting on good memories past.

Happy Gaming.

Comments

• Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Big fan of pre 2.0 NS gameplay- I would say that going back to that style isn't going to be the official target, but with NS2 the entire thing is scripted in LUA and it sounds as though the team are developing the game such that complete gameplay re-writes are possible. Years ago BRYs ns1.x retro servers were fun, but were buggy and people knew exploits. When NS2 comes out, should anyone recreate ns 1.x timing then I think it will be far more successful, easier to produce, and easier for anyone to try out.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Stalemates are looked at as "bad game design" these days. Can anyone point to the changes that made games shorter? Or was it mostly that the community got a real grasp of the game then so battle weren't as protracted and advantages were followed up upon?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I like it how it is now personally, where the game is based on how evenly matched the teams are. If both are comparable, you can have an epic back and forth game that goes on for 30-45 minutes. Having turret and OC spam all over the map where its hard for either team to penetrate for every game is not fun. Every once and a while it can be fun but that should be an exception when it does happen due to game circumstances. I've played games where it goes back and forth for so long without either side making much progress, where the only option is to start laming up the map to cut the opposing teams strategic options (OC spam mostly, as the same strat on marines is too expensive for what you get).

Hopefully in NS2 they re-think how turrets and OCs operate so they are useful and not a waste of res, but they're are hard counters to it (like the onos bone shield). Marine turrets in NS are pretty much useless right now whereas mines usually do a better job for a lot cheaper.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722250:date=Aug 12 2009, 05:31 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Aug 12 2009, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722250"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stalemates are looked at as "bad game design" these days. Can anyone point to the changes that made games shorter? Or was it mostly that the community got a real grasp of the game then so battle weren't as protracted and advantages were followed up upon?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1.04 --> 2.0 was obiviously huge. Nevertheless, even in 1.04 era the games were short and insanely marine biased if they knew what to do (mostly optimizing the tech path to JP + HMG).

I think somewhere between 1.0 and 1.03 the turret (and probably OC) HPs got a lot lower and most of the eternal DC vs Siege fights were patched out. Everything was also more expensive in the early versions.

So, it's a combination of quite bad game design (I couldn't kill a single turret from a farm with onos in 1.0 without being forced to heal up, even if there were just turrets firing at me) and terrible NS play. I don't think recreating the exact 1.0 era is going to create that many epic games nowaydays. With some rebalancing and such it might be possible though.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Four hour NS games remain as my most cherished gaming experiences.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722262:date=Aug 12 2009, 07:08 PM:name=ZeroFate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZeroFate @ Aug 12 2009, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Four hour NS games remain as my most cherished gaming experiences.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same...

but I understand that that's not accessible. You can't really target such a 'hardcore' niche for a first commercial game. Hopefully we'll be able to mod up various changes to make a "EPIC NS2" or whatever heh.
  • CafuddledCafuddled Join Date: 2009-08-12 Member: 68438Members
    The long games were for me the best, you got such a sense of achievement after playing one. Didn’t matter if you won or lost really it was, for me a much more fun way of playing. I mean the best game I have in memory was a game where we lost.

I guess I just don’t like the more accessible ‘as someone put it’ gameplay, I would love an epic mode of gameplay that could feed some gamers needs.

Also 1.03 sounds about right for when it was good for me, 2.0 was when I stopped playing I think. But the way it seemed from memory was that turrets played a much bigger part of the game. They were actually useful, with the one weakness of allowing the control unit to be destroyed and the turrets becoming useless.

It just seemed that mistakes could be made and the whole game would not completely shift because of them. It just seems to me that the course of a game just got too delicate and you felt very soon from that start that it was pointless playing on as you knew in the back of your mind it was impossible to shift the play of the game for a win.

I can also remember in the patch that did this it was stated all over the readme.txt that they have sped up the pace of the game, so it seemed that it was the soul reason for this patch being released if that helps pinpoint it.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    You'll be happy to know then that Flayra agrees with you that a <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/4/marine_power_grid_design" target="_blank">dynamic feel</a> to the game is important, and has specifically pointed out that part of the reason for the implementation of the marine power grid system "is to cause different areas of the map to have different strategic value at different times, to enable comebacks and to give the aliens an ability to win even when the situation looks hopeless."
  • PaladinDudePaladinDude Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58881Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722262:date=Aug 12 2009, 06:08 PM:name=ZeroFate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZeroFate @ Aug 12 2009, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Four hour NS games remain as my most cherished gaming experiences.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Likewise. I would prefer one really good 4 hour game where me and my team have the band of brothers experience of bonding together against the other side in an epic battle, rather than 8 half hour wham bam thank you maam quick matches. I wasn't even too bothered losing after an epic battle as the joy was in the game not the result.

I know people tend to have attention spans measured in miliseconds these days, but surely quick non-team bonding games is NOT what NS is supposed to be about. For me it was about the immersion in the world and fighting as a team.
  • wankalotwankalot Join Date: 2005-02-05 Member: 39872Members
    ... And being the commander in these 4 hour games was just PURE epicness. I remember one game in particular... we must have killed 6 hives.. it was outrageous lol. And in the last half hour I had to just keep telling my team "cmon guys we can do this!" They only way to win in the end was to siege-creep the whole map, twas epic sirs.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I played NS for about three years straight, and I have to agree that my best memories of the game are from the 1.04ish era. I loved the epic 6 hour marathon battles, as others have mentioned, even when we lost.

The changes to the feel of the game were definitely in design and not just increased player knowledge. To be completely honest, I think that the changes to make the game more 'accessible' caused its gradual degradation, and disenfranchised much of the fanbase in favor of a broader audience. Things like removing falling damage for JP wearers, combat style maps, and - here's my favorite bit of absurdity - changing Fade Blink from a (admittedly finicky) short range teleport into Superman-like flight. There were a lot of changes that just stripped away elements of finesse or skill and replaced them with heavy-handed 'accessible' alternatives that made it great for all the counter-strike scriptkiddies and bunnyhoppers that joined up and, in my opinion, ruined the game for a lot of us.

It was a long, slow death for me and for my clan. I remember stretches of several days at a time in the 2.0 era where nobody would even join the server, and it didn't take much to pull us away in the end. For my part, I do not want Natural Selection to play like Quake or Counter-Strike. I've clocked a lot of hours in both of those games, and I still have the option to any time I feel like it, but that's not what I crave. I want NS to be good again, and I worry that the sequel will be more of the same 2.0/3.0 sadness.
  • C4K3C4K3 Join Date: 2008-01-26 Member: 63502Banned, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722454:date=Aug 12 2009, 09:07 PM:name=|DFA| Havoc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|DFA| Havoc @ Aug 12 2009, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want NS to be good again, and I worry that the sequel will be more of the same 2.0/3.0 sadness.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IF the final result were 2.whatever or 3.whatever would be nice. I'm afraid this is actually even worse than that, just check out the new "skulk" or the "onos" or the teaser threads. Those threads deserves tears.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Ns2 is not "natural selection" get over it ;)
  • C4K3C4K3 Join Date: 2008-01-26 Member: 63502Banned, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722511:date=Aug 13 2009, 01:21 AM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seker @ Aug 13 2009, 01:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ns2 is not "natural selection" get over it ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I want a refund. This is fraud.
    To be honest, with the intensity I play NS 4 hours would be absolute overkill. Even 45 minutes of comming at full focus is quite exhausting. Winning those rounds while playing well yourself is awesome of course.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Maybe some of us want to experience mental fatigue in our game?
    edited August 2009
    I have done a little bit of searching and you can still download the client and server from here: <a href="http://www.hcgamer.hu/gamer/index.php?p=6&category=4" target="_blank">http://www.hcgamer.hu/gamer/index.php?p=6&category=4</a> How you would install the client is a bit beyond me though as I cant remember if it was through a HL CD install of through steam. But anyway if anyone wants to do a little bit of digging and creation I am in for a few games of the old style NS.

Here is the patch that changed the game time and boasted about it: <a href="http://4.games.bigpond-images.com/news/read.php/1609300" target="_blank">http://4.games.bigpond-images.com/news/read.php/1609300</a> don't know about you but even though it says 'epic game still possible' I don't think I seen much after this patch.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    I prefer long games over short games too. I haven't played NS for a long time but i heartly recall the sometimes hours long matches of pre 2.0 :)
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    tbh I usually don't have 4 hours to sink into a game in one sitting.
  • UnFazedUnFazed Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60121Members, Constellation
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I really don't care how long the game is as long as player actions have meaning. The long games in NS were great fun at times, but often they were due to both teams not knowing what to do. Spending 10 minutes taking down an OC wall was no fun. If a game is going to be long then it needs to be paced well... it needs to grow in tension and have a dramatic ending. In 1.04 the games dragged out a lot and often ended very low.

I've accepted at this stage that people like to be big game hunters. I've seen it happen in every game I like.. starcraft bgh maps, wc3 dota, ns siege maps etc.. to me, the infinite res maps ruined starcraft, and I personally gave up playing it at lan parties when those maps became the staple. Games lose their finesse when played in 'maxed out mode'. In my opinion, NS has become a much better tuned game and in general I enjoy the 3.x games more than any other release, however I do remember how much fun we had with 1.04 - my problem is I'm not sure how much of that was due to the newness of it, and how much was due to the games being long.
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722560:date=Aug 13 2009, 10:15 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Aug 13 2009, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really don't care how long the game is as long as player actions have meaning. The long games in NS were great fun at times, but often they were due to both teams not knowing what to do. Spending 10 minutes taking down an OC wall was no fun. If a game is going to be long then it needs to be paced well... it needs to grow in tension and have a dramatic ending. In 1.04 the games dragged out a lot and often ended very low.

I've accepted at this stage that people like to be big game hunters. I've seen it happen in every game I like.. starcraft bgh maps, wc3 dota, ns siege maps etc.. to me, the infinite res maps ruined starcraft, and I personally gave up playing it at lan parties when those maps became the staple. Games lose their finesse when played in 'maxed out mode'. In my opinion, NS has become a much better tuned game and in general I enjoy the 3.x games more than any other release, however I do remember how much fun we had with 1.04 - my problem is I'm not sure how much of that was due to the newness of it, and how much was due to the games being long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That summed up my points of view better than I ever could have. For me 3.2 was one of the best NS updates ever and I couldn't have asked a better finish for the game's development.

I'm not sure about the implementation of dramatic endings though. Can you give any examples of games doing this? NS grows tension nicely all the way into 2 hive vs proto fights, but finishing the game in a dramatic way seems difficult in a game where the slippery slope exists. Most RTS games have adressed this by allowing the player to give up easily, but apart from that I can't think of any good solutions. Shorter useless endgame is a big improvement of course, but I don't think it directly dramatizes the ending.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Sorry, I should clarify that point. Of course NS always suffered from a 'mop up phase' after that final battle, but I guess the important thing is that there is a a final battle. That the game builds towards a 'winner takes all' encounter. Of course, there should always be the possibility of a comeback from losing such an encounter.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722544:date=Aug 13 2009, 02:56 AM:name=Cafuddled)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cafuddled @ Aug 13 2009, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have done a little bit of searching and you can still download the client and server from here: <a href="http://www.hcgamer.hu/gamer/index.php?p=6&category=4" target="_blank">http://www.hcgamer.hu/gamer/index.php?p=6&category=4</a> How you would install the client is a bit beyond me though as I cant remember if it was through a HL CD install of through steam. But anyway if anyone wants to do a little bit of digging and creation I am in for a few games of the old style NS.

Here is the patch that changed the game time and boasted about it: <a href="http://4.games.bigpond-images.com/news/read.php/1609300" target="_blank">http://4.games.bigpond-images.com/news/read.php/1609300</a> don't know about you but even though it says 'epic game still possible' I don't think I seen much after this patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check out Bry's 1.04 pack. It lets you install it by tweaking a current NS install and replacing all the dlls.

Frankly, I went and tried it and while I did enjoy the atmosphere of the maps and some of the interesting gameplay, I also very much appreciate the polish that has been added since. For example, being able to walk over a PG. 3.0 saw PG telefragging (which I always thought was kinda epic, though I had to keep telling people to get off the PG once they phased in so I wouldn't kill them), and then they added in PG pushback, which is all sorts of awesome sauce. Also, I much prefer the current Fade blink. couldn't judge distances properly with 1.04.

I will admit that it's become very high strung. The balance can be shifted by a few poor players, we often end up with close to formulatic games, and while with friends we often have some epic games (comming 2+ hours is intense, but awesome) it's much more rare today. It's partially the skill gap as the higher level players now know the very minute things that can tip the scales. It's partially the often jarring jumps in tech and ability. Plus zomg scaling team sizes. However, I'm hopeful that NS2 will be able to provide us with casual killing as well as epic wars. I can see the market for both. If I want to relax, I've stopped reaching for NS. But it's still my favorite FPS game.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Close games that go back and forth are exciting; long drawn out stalemates are not. 20 minutes is a good length for a round of NS.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    I have played my longest competitive matches in 3.1-3.2 era and I have played every version competitive. It's not really version which makes rounds shorter it's all about players. Main factor is that tactical focus has centralized for first 5 minutes. Normally marines try to take second hive down before it goes up and if they fail they lose. Aliens on otherhand try to get that second hive up at any cost. This mean that marines makes fast pg, semi-fast armslab and late aa or something like that. Key is that late aa, hmgs are the thing which counter second hive fades. Marines are overrun if they dont have hmgs when that hive goes up. That is the reason why we see fast games in competitive and in pub nowadays. Though if you can free yourself from your time tactical brands you can make that fast aa when you are comm or as alien instead of making fast hive you can make rt+hive. Or if you want to be real "oldschool" you can make turret farm for every rt spot. Like I said I have still have been able to play longest games in 3.1-3.2 era even without stationary defence and those matches has been really satisfying.
    Ok i'm going to try the new Natural Selection, but if i'm not happy it will make me cry... and with every tear and angel will be die. So it's on your heads if the heavens fall!
  • Sumo-SoldierSumo-Soldier Join Date: 2009-07-24 Member: 68249Members
    i didnt play in the pre 2.0 era but i remember playing plenty of games that lasted at least 2 hours. It just comes down to the team and players. Cause if u play with ppl that dont know what they are doing the games going to be short. u shud realise that at this point, the game was very popular and a lot of newbie players like myself were getting into the game.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    When I was younger, I liked the really long games. Now that I am older with less time available for my hobbies I don't have time for them anymore. I think 30 minutes is a good amount of time for a round.
  • vEtEr4nvEtEr4n Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33883Members
    The answer is in my signature. You disagree? Then all they had to do besides that was to lower marine dmg overall by like 10-15%.