NS2 Ventrilo Server

XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">During Alpha & Beta And Why</div>I'd like to explain why I think UWE should host a large private ventrilo server during testing. The reason being is that I've participated in a pretty good amount of betas. More than I can remember in the past 8 years. I'm currently testing Section 8(beta ends tonight) and League of Legends.

<a href="http://www.leagueoflegends.com/" target="_blank">http://www.leagueoflegends.com/</a>
<a href="http://www.joinsection8.com/" target="_blank">http://www.joinsection8.com/</a>

And this is also the first time I've participated in a large hosted ventrilo server during testing. Riot Games (studio for League of Legends) is hosting this server strictly for testers. I'm not sure what the capacity is for it but I've seen 100+ people in it so far. Why is this advantageous? The social factor. Rather than letting certain testers host their own vent servers and talk on their own; all your testers are congregating in one place. Here people are constantly pulling teams together and sorting themselves out in channels as they play. Not only that but last night they had a feedback session with some 30 people in one channel (notably the big players talking about a patch). The type of conversations that I've been picking up on and paying attention to really help engage the testers. After spending so much time in this environment, I would seriously hope UWE considers doing the same. Obviously I can't talk about the game, but I will applaud Riot Games in the way they're handling their development process. Not to mention, its an independent studio going for their first title after a successful free mod. =)

Comments

• Dead-InsideDead-Inside Join Date: 2004-09-22 Member: 31862Members
    edited August 2009
    I think you're trying to say "It's another DOTA clone!".

Edit: as for your suggestion I mean, I guess... it could be nice? Being able to discuss the game with other people who are there for the same reason is probably a good idea. For the GAME, though, you should talk INGAME to your TEAM though. If you're thinking about alpha/beta private matches (if these will even be possible) then I mean, they wont use a public ventrilo anyway because that'd just be a hassle.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    I think he's just talking about discussing the game outside of play testing. While playtesting of course we'll use ingame team talk, the best way to test for balance/bugs is to play the game as though it were finished.
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1721733:date=Aug 7 2009, 11:24 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Aug 7 2009, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1721733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think he's just talking about discussing the game outside of play testing. While playtesting of course we'll use ingame team talk, the best way to test for balance/bugs is to play the game as though it were finished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->Balance, sure. Bugs? "Hey I think I found something, someone come here and help me check it out." "NOOB I SAID GET TO THE HIVE GOGOGO!" Not to mention that if you are too competitive, you might avoid doing a lot of "dumb" things that could have bugs.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Ventrilo costs money.

If you want to host something for free use your own dedicated box and use Mumble/Murmur. I don't think UWE should host this, asking this is simply absurd. If you want something like this organise it yourself.
  • CCCorpCCCorp Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14503Members, Constellation
    id much rather have them spend money on "food" then a vent server and its not that hard for anyone who is testing alpha and beta to get there own vent server up and running
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    It would be a pretty sweet thing to have.

However, I personally don't just hang out in Vent servers. Sry, just not my thing.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1721801:date=Aug 10 2009, 10:03 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Aug 10 2009, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1721801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ventrilo costs money.

If you want to host something for free use your own dedicated box and use Mumble/Murmur. I don't think UWE should host this, asking this is simply absurd. If you want something like this organize it yourself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    On one hand I think it is useful and not "absurd" at all.

On the other, the devs are going to be hosting the servers themselves so communication within a server shouldn't be a problem.

Back on the fist hand, this would be good for organizing players to join a server since NS2 won't be integrated with steam right away.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    Asking a small development team spend out extra money on a large ventrilo server to cover a large proportion of their Special Edition buyers is and always will be absurd, simply due to cost.

If they have the available bandwidth or a dedicated box spare by all means mumble is a free chat client they can use which is simple to set up and uses less bandwidth than most other chat clients.

The expense is the main problem, a 400 user ventrilo for example costs $120-130 per month to run. I know that's pretty much massive however if there are a lot of testers involved then this may be required. That's pretty much not what you want when things such as IRC and the forums already exist for feedback and are just as accessible if not easier and free.

The 'free' alternative I suggested being mumble/murmur does take time to set up granted even if it is simple. Although you then have the overheads of running and maintenance for the dedicated box for it to run on, electricity etc. Which again, costs more money.

I did not say that it was not useful.

mIRC and the a dedicated forum group are just as good alternatives for finding and sharing experience. If someone wants to host their own chat client sure it's a good idea, I wouldn't ask a small company already in charge of making a game to organise it for you nor pay the expense.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I personally don't think it's worth it for NS2, just organise to get on a freely hosted Vent server somewhere (they do exist) and have people congregate based on their locations. I for one wouldn't be joining a central server hosted by UWE, the latency in talking on said server while playing on a (hopefully) australian hosted NS2 Alpha server won't be worth it. I would just get on a free vent/teamspeak server locally with players.
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    Having a Ventrilo server would be 'nice to have' but I think I would rather them spend money on the game. Anyone who is serious about organizing to do a more thorough job of testing will likely be serious enough that they can set up their own system for communicating with other testers. If UWE provides an IRC channel and a forum I think that should be sufficient.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1721928:date=Aug 10 2009, 08:28 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Aug 10 2009, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1721928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The expense is the main problem, a 400 user ventrilo for example costs $120-130 per month to run. I know that's pretty much massive...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

$130 a Month is NOT massive for a company, even a small one. If the idea actually offers some benefit for them, then that cost will not pose a barrier.

It's probably a good idea so have a live chat server (be it text or voice) host (or at least endorsed) by UWE so that testers have a centralized place to meet, socialize, and organize.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1721959:date=Aug 11 2009, 04:50 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Aug 11 2009, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1721959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's probably a good idea so have a live chat server (be it text or voice) host (or at least endorsed) by UWE so that testers have a centralized place to meet, socialize, and organize.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Best thing about that....

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->They do<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums" target="_blank">here</a>
    and
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/irc/" target="_blank">here</a>

I don't think an "official" vent/ts/mumble/whatevervoiceapp server is needed.
  • TrubodasleikjarinnTrubodasleikjarinn Join Date: 2004-05-28 Member: 28967Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1721801:date=Aug 10 2009, 09:03 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Aug 10 2009, 09:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1721801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ventrilo costs money.

If you want to host something for free use your own dedicated box and use Mumble/Murmur. I don't think UWE should host this, asking this is simply absurd. If you want something like this organise it yourself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aye, a murmur server is no big deal to set up. It's rather simple actually both on windows and on Linux and running it is not that hard. This community could probably set it up and organize it itself if they are willing to.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    I'd support the idea. I think voicecoms are actually a great thing for instant communication. We have used voice communication software (namely Venrilo) a lot in competitive scene and its definitely a good thing. Talking is a lot faster way to transmit information than writing, and voicecoms don't go off when you leave the server. Even when we're not playing on server, we can idle on Ventrilo channels and someone might come to ask for a mix or something. Basically I almost never use in-game voice communication outside tactics and minimal small talk, but I have used Ventrilo chat sessions for talking about NS1 development, NS2 development, organizing copetitive events, shoutcasts etc.

Just like in the Movie Contest recently, I convinced dracka to join me on ventrilo and we're able to discuss things a lot faster than we did via IRC and get an agreement a lot more easily.

Speaking of hosting, ENSL can provide a mumble server. We already have one, and have the bandwidth to host it for lots of users.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722210:date=Aug 12 2009, 03:01 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Aug 12 2009, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of hosting, ENSL can provide a mumble server. We already have one, and have the bandwidth to host it for lots of users.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would mean exposing all those nice shiny NS2 newbies to embittered ENSL people Jikiri. ;) We don't need them tarnished quite yet.
  • TheRealFuryTheRealFury Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67971Members
    Personally i wouldn't mind a ventrillo server or any other free alternative being set up for alpha (and possibly beta) testing as we can not even guarentee in Alpha that ingame voice communications, the ability to type or the ability to connect to a server will actually work. Although there is the forums its alot easier to communicate by word of mouth (barring language barriers of course) than it is to post and update threads on a forum or IRC.

It would not really be the end of the world if we did not have such a function though but i can only see benefits to it if used responsibly to co-ordinate testing.

I remember a quote from a developer of another game i alpha tested once... "In alpha testing, anything can happen... and usually it does!" so 3rd party communications could be usefull.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'm sure the community can russle up resources like that, heck I can supply one in Australia.