Skulk Review Video Posted on IGN

13»

Comments

• kflikfli Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42078Members
    I can't wait to taze that thing
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited August 2009
    I'm really impressed by the new skulk, even moreso than the new onos. I love the unified style of the new aliens. Perhaps with the cleft jaw more of the screen will be viewable while biting making it a little easier to get into skulking (which is quite important to learn...). Plus I was getting bored of being what was basically a little brown dog.
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    I wouldn't like that thing to bite me with that jaw. It looks like a meat grinder (awesome!).
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    It look like that cheetah like running gate lends itself to a gathering-momentum type mechanic. I'm thinking a sprint button that doesn't trigger a faster speed mode but does allow you to gain momentum if you don't make sharp turns. Like it could gain speed with each "hop" unless it hits a wall or makes a sharp turn at the wrong moment of the run.

@Cory

I was going to echo others on the fact that the run looks like it won't work for wallwalking so thanks for clearing up the multiple animations. Seems like the skulk will move much faster when running on the ground since I don't imagine a wallwalk animation being able to look that fast and still be natural. Makes a lot of sense even if it wasn't on NS1.

<!--quoteo(post=1720915:date=Aug 6 2009, 02:15 AM:name=PseudoKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PseudoKnight @ Aug 6 2009, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...with slower movement comes more reliable net code physics and hit detection...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for saying that. I couldn't have said it better myself. I always found super speedy movement in any game is just to sensitive to lag and hit detection.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    I love the skulk. i absolutly love every detail about him. but there is one thing that bugs me with the animation.

when running it looks strange how much his front legs have to move, its oddly fast and it looks like he's dragging himself with them and the rear legs are just there for stability.

apart from that: great work UWE, damn you're skilled!
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    So how exactly do you bite with half your jaw missing? The upper teeth have nothing to clasp against on the other side.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Maybe they rip out pieces of flesh. Or they do it like crocodiles.
    I have to agree though that it does look very impractical, but that would be my only criticism.
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1720952:date=Aug 6 2009, 06:37 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Aug 6 2009, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No it was nothing to do with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't remember it clearly but it was something to do with having to go back and edit the maps because they didn't have enough access to the engine or something.

I didn't mean a hint brush as in a hint brush. More like just a brush that makes the clipping less complicated that isnt noclip.
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    edited August 2009
    So far I'm very pleased with the new Skulk design. I like the added bone plating on the it's head. I think it makes it look sleek and feral. Also it shows further adaptation from the previous skulk form, which had practically no protection anywhere. Given that the skulk is often seen as a rocket with teeth by beginners, and the head-first attack strategy often adopted as a result, I have to say the adaptation of added protection to the head makes sense.

I'd say the body musculature is actually very interesting. The large barrel torso would make you think that it was a rather heavy set creature, but the lack of heavy shoulder muscle makes me more inclined to think this added muscle is for the jaws and neck. Seeing as the lower jaw basically integrates directly into the chest area gives the idea of immense biting power, perhaps for clamping and ripping and tearing. The split jaw looks to reinforce the idea that the Skulk has evolved more towards increasing the chance that it will get a piece of you. When combined with the heavy muscled "bull neck" it sends the clear message it intends to leave with that piece, be it an arm, leg, or your head.

I'd also like to point out that the "thigh" area of it's haunches are about twice as thick as it's "bicep" area. Beside the jaw support area this is the highest concentration of muscle on the skulk, and it puts me in the mind of powerful springing capability. I don't think we've seen the leap animation yet, or at least I hope we haven't. I think there could be two leap animations, one while it's on the go, and the other while stationary. I think seeing it's hind legs coil up for a powerful spring while the whole body tenses down and pitching backward would be cool. But I'm not sure how you would be able to achieve this without a separate animation.

Anyway, it looks really good. I like the sense of the skulk strain "evolving" and the musculature placement and proportion seem logical.

Er, could a friendly mod move this to the "Development Blog Update" thread... It went up while I was typing this.