Onos Horn Impale idea

N3MES1SN3MES1S Join Date: 2009-07-29 Member: 68303Members
<div class="IPBDescription">onos impales low-health marines with horn charge</div>Not a very hard concept to understand, but when the onos charges a marine with low health, I think it would be amazing if the marine's ragdoll became impaled on the onos's horn and jiggled around as the onos moved. Honestly with the game's engine I don't think this would too hard to implement. also, considering the length of the onos's horn, if multiple ragdolls are impaled, then the ragdoll that was first impaled should be gored and destroyed.

I know when a development team has a deadline and a set list of priorities it's hard to consider new features, however, I really think this feature would greatly enhance the game and make players enjoy playing as the onos even more. :D

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1720017:date=Jul 30 2009, 10:22 AM:name=N3MES1S)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (N3MES1S @ Jul 30 2009, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1720017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not a very hard concept to understand, but when the onos charges a marine with low health, I think it would be amazing if the marine's ragdoll became impaled on the onos's horn and jiggled around as the onos moved. Honestly with the game's engine I don't think this would too hard to implement. also, considering the length of the onos's horn, if multiple ragdolls are impaled, then the ragdoll that was first impaled should be gored and destroyed.

I know when a development team has a deadline and a set list of priorities it's hard to consider new features, however, I really think this feature would greatly enhance the game and make players enjoy playing as the onos even more. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its probably over the level of violence that the dev's are aiming for - but hey it would kind of be cool to have different finishing moves, or death animations which are triggered by different types of attacks - but then again if ns2 does the usual thing of turning a dead player into physics ragdolls then it will kind of have the same effect anyway
  • N3MES1SN3MES1S Join Date: 2009-07-29 Member: 68303Members
    Right, well although the onos's charge move does a knockback to marines, I think the ragdolls will go flying instead of being similar like you said. well I just hope that the sdk will allow for some neat lua mods that can help me achieve my idea.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    such things would be perfect ideas for a gore mod, but i doubt that it would ever make it in the official game
  • ljcrabsljcrabs Join Date: 2007-11-15 Member: 62924Members
    At the very least an onos should be able to 'pick up' and throw a ragdoll or knocked over marine with its horn, like bulls do to people.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    I agree that the idea may be a little to violent but it would be very satisfying to watch. If the marine is going to die from that attack, why not make it a lot of fun to watch? It kind of reminds me of fatalities from mortal kombat.

The gore could always be cut back to make it less violent. For instance there won't be any blood or when the marine falls off of the horn there won't be a hole in the body. Or maybe knockback from the horn will cause bits of armor and guns to fly off the marine.

The idea could be extended to other alien kills also, I can't figure out how though.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    I hope the Horn ingame functions like a real life Rhino horn, and not an instant hit Melee weapon. What I mean is if the player looks from left-to-right or right-to-left the horn will hit everything in that radius.

Kind of like the Tank Punch from Left 4 Dead(2), would make the onos that more useful.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1750580:date=Feb 4 2010, 08:00 AM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Feb 4 2010, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope the Horn ingame functions like a real life Rhino horn, and not an instant hit Melee weapon. What I mean is if the player looks from left-to-right or right-to-left the horn will hit everything in that radius.

Kind of like the Tank Punch from Left 4 Dead(2), would make the onos that more useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that would be sweet - nothing works than being blocked by a tiny marine or skulk when you're a PWNOS
  • myrddinmyrddin Join Date: 2010-01-31 Member: 70373Members
    edited February 2010
    Lo,

I'm not sure the "Impale" is a good thing. After all, we're not in a game like L4D with members and guts flying around.

But, I must agree that an onos should not be blocked by a little marine, not even by an other alien except an other onos.

This guy is a tank, and as a tank it should be able crush and shove anything on its way, dealing damage to marines but to teammates too if they dont get out of the way. With a little more imagination we can think that the only thing able to stop him should be a HA marine, grabbing its neck in a wrestler like grip (with the "use" action?) but just slowing him down enough to let the other rines full time to shoot him... But its certainly a little too much of fantasy ;)

++
  • NicksaerianNicksaerian Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65207Members, Constellation
    We're talking about a game where the main goal is to commit genocide on the opposite species and people are saying "oh, it might be too violent" to these kinds of ideas. Really?