NS2 graphics

Sumo-SoldierSumo-Soldier Join Date: 2009-07-24 Member: 68249Members
edited July 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
well its 2009 and games these days look awesome visually. I know Ns2 isnt going to be like crysis kinda graphics...but i hope it looks at least sort of visually appealing, maybe something like doom 3 with the dark environments. If it looks anything like the teaser that would be awesome..but i highly doubt it.
ive played Ns1 and i have to say that game was probably the best looking hl mod out there. I just hope the game looks stunning but at the same time i dont have any high expectations for the game visually mainly as ns2 is mainly going to be a focused on gameplay. still...i wudnt mind a game that stresses out my system haha.

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    why wouldn't it look like the teaser? the teaser was made from an in game demo :)
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    edited July 2009
    The hallway teaser is in-engine. It looks like that. That's an in-game Onos animation.

Though it should be said, even if that level of motion blur can be run real-time, I'm not sure many would turn it on. Plus, the camera view was scripted using the cinematic tool.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    While it is using in-game cinematic from what I've seen before the in-game cinematics are a tiny bit higher quality than the play engine. Probably because of how they are designed.
    That's just my 2cents, but even then, look at the gameplay vid showing the dynamic lighting and that alone is pure awesomeness!!!
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2009
    Yeah the Teaser was in-engine. I'm sure it'll look fine, but more importantly it'll play superb!
    edited July 2009
    It looks a little better in trailers because they can max the post-processing. It's also converted to low res so that you don't see some of the little flaws. That's why sometimes cam shots make the game look like it's going to be better than it turns out to be in many games. The blurriness obfuscates the flaws and your mind fills in the blanks.

When playing the game everything is rendered on the fly with a balance of anti-aliasing and other effects to maintain a high framerate and little input lag. So you get more jaggies and choppier frames, but higher resolutions and higher framerates.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719240:date=Jul 25 2009, 03:37 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jul 25 2009, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why wouldn't it look like the teaser? the teaser was made from an in game demo :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not at all, the lighting was "extra" for the teaser and will not be ingame, like the shaking walls (if the onos hit the wall, you will NOT see the same effect on the walls like in the teaser!)
    Teaser = bluff (i don't understand why they need to trick us, but ok they are be honest to tell us its NOT ingame, its just the engine.)
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1719261:date=Jul 25 2009, 03:07 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Jul 25 2009, 03:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not at all, the lighting was "extra" for the teaser and will not be ingame, like the shaking walls (if the onos hit the wall, you will NOT see the same effect on the walls like in the teaser!)
    Teaser = bluff (i don't understand why they need to trick us, but ok they are be honest to tell us its NOT ingame, its just the engine.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's all in game, I'm looking at it right now.
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    This was, as they told it before, in engine only, so all features were scripted to look nice, but the door breaking was an animation, the sounds of weapons shouts behind the doors would surely not sound like this in final product, the Onos walking animation is only for ambiance and not in game animation.

So we can conclude, from the trailer, that textures, models and general rendering will be like that for the game, the other things are pure spéculations.

So stop saying ****.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I am tickled that you people think that a small team such as theirs has the time and resources to produce a teaser that isn't ingame.
  • NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1719274:date=Jul 25 2009, 06:37 AM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Jul 25 2009, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am tickled that you people think that a small team such as theirs has the time and resources to produce a teaser that isn't ingame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hum, was going to say something like this. I gess i dont need to now ;D

anyway first teasers really dont look like the finished product.

(Edit out swedish word that "pop" in there :P)
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719264:date=Jul 25 2009, 10:01 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Jul 25 2009, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's all in game, I'm looking at it right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Absolutely everything? That means you can be knocked down on the ground?

Also, Greg, just look at dux's Group. Something tells me he's a bit more trustworthy.
    I'm sure that there are a few things that won't be found everywhere in the game (for example, I'm expecting that the door deformations are part of the door model or a script, rather than due to the onos' actions, which means you will only be able to ram certain doors, on certains maps, in a certain fashion, a bit like the tanith weldable)
    As for the Onos walking animation, where have you seen it? Considering what we've seen from the running/roar animation, it doesn't seem impossible that walking would look so good.
    <!--quoteo(post=1719264:date=Jul 25 2009, 04:01 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Jul 25 2009, 04:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's all in game, I'm looking at it right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

frome
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Youtube, TheRealFlayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Youtube, TheRealFlayra)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The hallway and alien footage shown in this movie was filmed entirely in-engine and showcases one of the playable classes - the "Onos".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfjfBeC6tQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.naturalselection2.com%2F&feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfjfBeC6tQ...player_embedded</a>
  • Sumo-SoldierSumo-Soldier Join Date: 2009-07-24 Member: 68249Members
    if the teaser was in game...y havnt we seen a 'meet the skulk' video yet...as ppl have pointed out seeing a skulk crawling through the bottom vents. This reminds me of the killzone 2 video and how everyone thought it was in game. After that i cant believe any game trailers out there...
    <!--quoteo(post=1719310:date=Jul 25 2009, 01:04 PM:name=Sumo-Soldier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sumo-Soldier @ Jul 25 2009, 01:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if the teaser was in game...y havnt we seen a 'meet the skulk' video yet...as ppl have pointed out seeing a skulk crawling through the bottom vents. This reminds me of the killzone 2 video and how everyone thought it was in game. After that i cant believe any game trailers out there...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the first KZ2 video was GCI as to show what they wanted to game to look like, later on closer to finished produkt they showed in-game video that was the same, but diffrent from the first GCI.

I know i own KZ2 and its awesome....

But i still think its a bit to early to show some "in-game" content, but we have seen some when they talk about lighting and all and just from that litte "preview" the games lightning looks greate.
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    I believe they said in an interview that everything was possible in-game EXCEPT for a few scripted things, like the vents shaking and the onos 'ducking' under the door. Everything else such as the door being smashed, and the onos roar animation is in-game.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    I would love some in-game screenshots with max af/aa just so we can get a baseline of where things are ending up.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719321:date=Jul 25 2009, 11:54 AM:name=Eddie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eddie @ Jul 25 2009, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe they said in an interview that everything was possible in-game EXCEPT for a few scripted things, like the vents shaking and the onos 'ducking' under the door. Everything else such as the door being smashed, and the onos roar animation is in-game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just want to point out that the scripted things like the vents shaking etc ARE possible in-game, since that's where the vid was created. It's not likely that they will be in-game, though, unless scripted by a mapper to react that way to some kind of stimulus. Remember, the scripts are running in the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1719274:date=Jul 25 2009, 04:37 AM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Jul 25 2009, 04:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am tickled that you people think that a small team such as theirs has the time and resources to produce a teaser that isn't ingame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Um, the NS1 teaser was NOT in-game, and that was an all-volunteer group.

<!--quoteo(post=1719288:date=Jul 25 2009, 08:13 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jul 25 2009, 08:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Absolutely everything? That means you can be knocked down on the ground?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The knock down was a camera script. From what we know, there's no reason to believe there's knockdown in the gameplay.

Here's the official response to this. I'm disappointed that I didn't dig this up sooner. Enough speculation:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=106378&view=findpost&p=1708880" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1708880</a>
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719464:date=Jul 27 2009, 10:05 AM:name=PseudoKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PseudoKnight @ Jul 27 2009, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Um, the NS1 teaser was NOT in-game, and that was an all-volunteer group.

The knock down was a camera script. From what we know, there's no reason to believe there's knockdown in the gameplay.

Here's the official response to this. I'm disappointed that I didn't dig this up sooner. Enough speculation:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=106378&view=findpost&p=1708880" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1708880</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    sigh, the ns2 teaser was in game, and the knock down is talked about in the onos reveal blog - yes the onos can knock people down
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    no actually the teaser was shot in real life, the onos was just a few dudes in a rubber suit.

/more facepalming then usual
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719484:date=Jul 26 2009, 07:39 PM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Jul 26 2009, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no actually the teaser was shot in real life, the onos was just a few dudes in a rubber suit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be awesome, actually.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    One note to clear up confusion.

In-Game -- recorded from actual gameplay

In-Engine -- scripted sequence rendered using the game engine, but may use higher resolution models, separate animations, etc.

The teaser is "in-engine", not "in-game".
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1719475:date=Jul 26 2009, 09:12 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jul 26 2009, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sigh, the ns2 teaser was in game, and the knock down is talked about in the onos reveal blog - yes the onos can knock people down<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He was talking about the NS1 teaser, which was indeed prerendered.
  • TesseractTesseract Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61328Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1719559:date=Jul 27 2009, 09:08 PM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ahnteis @ Jul 27 2009, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One note to clear up confusion.

In-Game -- recorded from actual gameplay

In-Engine -- scripted sequence rendered using the game engine, but may use higher resolution models, separate animations, etc.

The teaser is "in-engine", not "in-game".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just to note, for people.
    <!--quoteo(post=1708880:date=May 31 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 31 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1708880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->{T}hat exact version of the Onos is the current in game version.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1708880:date=May 31 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 31 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1708880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The blur effects, like the motion blur on the camera movement, are in engine, as well, and can be applied using the cinematic editor tool. We will be using blur effects like that and depth of field in game, though not as drastic as in the teaser. Obviously if everything is blurring all the time as you are looking around and things are moving, it can get very distracting very fast{.}<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1708880:date=May 31 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 31 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1708880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All of the lighting and particle effects are in engine, and were set up the same way mappers will be doing it for their maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1708880:date=May 31 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 31 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1708880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is nothing about the Onos animations that couldn't be in game. And in fact the roar animation will be used in game, though the exact ability that will use it is still being sorted out. The main thing is that the animations will be more separated up, rather then strung together in one long animation, and will be player dependent. So, chances are a player controlling the Onos won't walk slowly straight towards a marine and stop and roar at him, though there would be nothing keeping them from doing that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And, most importantly.
    <!--quoteo(post=1708880:date=May 31 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 31 2009, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1708880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, really, the only thing that keeps this from being a real time teaser, is that we weren't recording us actually playing the game{.}<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    if all this is true then this game is gona look SWEEeeet and i also believe its going to run smooth.
  • TesseractTesseract Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61328Members, Constellation
    Smoothness depends on your set-up, really.
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1719826:date=Sep 11 2001, 02:41 PM:name=Tesseract)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tesseract @ Sep 11 2001, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Smoothness depends on your set-up, really.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->If it runs well on the kind of computer UWE can afford we'll all be fine. And reading that bit about the blur made me think NS2 needs a blink button for marines.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
    <!--quoteo(post=1719826:date=Jul 29 2009, 04:41 AM:name=Tesseract)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tesseract @ Jul 29 2009, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Smoothness depends on your set-up, really.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well they did say the requirements for this game is gona be like a 1.2 ghz system...so if they can make it look THAT good and run smooth (which is y i have my doubts that ns2 will actually look as good as the teaser) then full props to the ns2 team.
  • VerthandiVerthandi Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10687Members, NS1 Playtester
    When they say the requirements are a 1.2 GHz system and whatnot, I think they are referring to the specs required for an acceptable gameplay experience. "Look-good" <b>and</b> "run-smooth" together might (and most probably would) require a lot more firepower.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    I'm hoping for a graphics experience that doesn't require too much in the way of computing power.