My (bad?) way to stop aimbotters (but not wallhackers)

rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
This isnt a "great" or even good way to stop aimbotters, but it should work if implemented.

core idea is this: every hour or so, at some random point, have the marine in a special section of the map for about 100 milliseconds. The moment the marine arrives in this special location, the marine should be aimed at, say, a fade model, but not exactly, but quite close to say the chest or head. The engine forces the marine to fire the moment he arrives, and if there is a consistent hit stream, then you probably have a aimbotter. People who toggle aimbot, won't know exactly when to turn it on or off, since their "test" time is random. If the rhine's aimbotting software allows the rhine to choose a different button for aimbot style firing for "toggle only on fire" type effect, then the engine should be aware of what keys so far have been used to produce an attack during that session, this way, you dont have to just force mouse1 for attack. If the test period is only for 100 milliseconds, this probably wont give enough time for the cheater to wildly swing his mouse or "turn it off".

This type of capture test isnt 100%, but it should over time, catch cheaters no matter what kind of software they use, unless its built in with a special anti-anti cheat. What do you think? I dont know how to resolve the fact that this test is 100% disruptive to gameplay during those 100ms, but it is one kind of solution that doesnt care about evolving memory profile scans that punkbuster employs.

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I don't think this would work. Most aimbots track a player as a target and don't use the screen at all to determine what to shoot at.

Even if it did work, it's not worth it for the interference in the game, especially when admin can just as easily spectate.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    nexuiz has a experimental feature where a picture is drawn somehow where the player shot (how far from the target, hot, or i don't know). After like 100 or more shots you can clearly see the difference between a bot and a player (and also a difference between a good and a bad player)
  • 2_of_Eight2_of_Eight Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20016Members
    Not sure which FPS, but there's one that had this feature: after dying, you re-live the last few seconds of your opponent's life (while respawning). That way, you see if they had any funny business going on before killing you. And if not, you get to learn something new :P
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718562:date=Jul 21 2009, 07:20 PM:name=2_of_Eight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2_of_Eight @ Jul 21 2009, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure which FPS, but there's one that had this feature: after dying, you re-live the last few seconds of your opponent's life (while respawning). That way, you see if they had any funny business going on before killing you. And if not, you get to learn something new :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ya a bunch of call of duty incarnates have this... COD4 is a good example.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718562:date=Jul 22 2009, 10:20 AM:name=2_of_Eight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2_of_Eight @ Jul 22 2009, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure which FPS, but there's one that had this feature: after dying, you re-live the last few seconds of your opponent's life (while respawning). That way, you see if they had any funny business going on before killing you. And if not, you get to learn something new :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's called Death Cam.
    I like it as it means the campers can't camp as long :)
  • Gamer-XGamer-X Join Date: 2008-03-22 Member: 63930Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    i like the death cam idea. lets you learn new tricks and it also allows you to semi spec him. but since the spawn system is a bit different not sure how they can fit it in right.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    A death cam would generally be a bad idea for NS2. Once you start speccing whoever killed you, you have "free" access to their area. Assuming they shot you from within their spawn and you were in a corridor, this means that you may know where all their structures are, what aliens they have at the given moment etc. When you respawn, you'll have the upper hand.

As for the OP, it sounds like it might work in theory, but if something as simple as that exists, I'm sure aimbot programmers will undoubtely come up with a solution, if they haven't already. I believe locallyunscene is correct too, in saying that the aimbots track targets rather than the player models. I think most of them trap packets (information such as player locations, etc, that gets displayed on our screen) coming from the server or hook into the game via C.
  • lilboy98lilboy98 Join Date: 2009-05-15 Member: 67414Members
    Or enforce a zero tolerance all-servers ban on anyone using any type of hacking, and stick to it. It'll make players think twice before 'trying' out a hack.

They paid for the special edition and using that as a defense for hacking? So what? Ban his ***.

A system like Steam's VAC system would work very well.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    the problem isnt banning them, its finding them out
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Transporting a player for "100ms" simply will not work. It's completely implausible as it disrupts gameplay experience. It's also an extremely bad measure at cheat detection.

Until NS2 comes out there really is no need or worry to talk about cheating, I've seen it a few times around the forums and talking about cheats before any game is released will only give people ideas.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    100ms is a fairly significant portion of time. Also, the logic to say "hey I just teleported, and I didn't use a PG/bacon" is pretty trivial, even moreso if the location you will always be is constant.

Not to mention, catching the people who always have aimbots on, and are just trying to disrupt the game with them is trivial. Catching people with say, a low-FOV aimbot, which is only active when they are firing is much, much harder.

I've gone into this in other threads, but global mod-wide banlists are rarely a good idea. They simply cause too much drama (and the NS forums have enough of that as it is)
    edited July 2009
    Umm, i must of blacked out when i was writing this post the first time,... here goes again lol

If i was making an aimbot and i wanted to bypass this method of aimbot-detection...

I would simply run a global-mouse-hook (c# can do this...) and just only track the enemy with aimbot when the WM_MOUSEDOWN message is received... (indicating the mouse button was depressed)... The reason i think that would work is it's highly likely that the game would just be calling something like +SHOOT to make you shoot at the aimbot-detection-fade... and that would not trigger the WM_MOUSEDOWN message and therefore the hack would not track the enemy fade.

to make this bot even more undetectable when being spectatored, i'd just smooth out the tracking animations and had some irradic aiming behavior that gets triggered randomly... This way the aimbot will totally recreate how i shoot in NS1 which is spray and pray :P

Another feature i'd add is to only track an enemy if it is very close the center of my aiming reticle. So i'd still need to get the gun somewhat pointing at the enemy, which in turn would totally decrease the odds that someone will scream AIMBOTTER!! HAXSS!!
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718863:date=Jul 23 2009, 03:04 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 23 2009, 03:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><snip><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You put into two paragraphs what devicenull said in 1 sentence....
    <!--quoteo(post=1718865:date=Jul 23 2009, 12:30 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 23 2009, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You put into two paragraphs what devicenull said in 1 sentence....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think i went in depth a bit more.
  • rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718631:date=Jul 22 2009, 05:27 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 22 2009, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Transporting a player for "100ms" simply will not work. It's completely implausible as it disrupts gameplay experience. It's also an extremely bad measure at cheat detection.

Until NS2 comes out there really is no need or worry to talk about cheating, I've seen it a few times around the forums and talking about cheats before any game is released will only give people ideas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My only worry is that a small company like UWE probably does not even have $5 spent from its corporate payroll to finance say at least one dev to spend a week on working on anti-cheat technology.
    To be honest, the global expenditure to stop cheating should probably be at least 10-15 million dollars a year cumulative across all game companies, but the fact is game companies are tightly run and they dont ultimately care.

What do you think is the value of this fraction : anti-piracy technology / anti-cheat technology? I would say this is at least 100 million per year / 0 dollars per year.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Why do they need to work on anti-cheat technology right now? How do you know they're not?

Jesus I don't know where you guys are getting your information, but the development team will not let on everything and tell you everything. Give it a rest already and stop ###### about this that and the other and just wait to see something patiently.