Custom characters

2»

Comments

• HebachebaHebacheba Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67872Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718205:date=Jul 20 2009, 02:09 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jul 20 2009, 02:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens can all be generic, they don't need customisation. They're like ants and bees. They are born simply to live and die for the hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

One could argue that all of the marines are simply drones sent through the IP's to fight and die for the Commander.

I think not having an ounce of customization would make the game more realistic. Assigning a player a random model out of a pool when they spawn would make the marines feel much more insignificant, which would be good in my opinion.
  • NinjiNinji Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68109Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718246:date=Jul 20 2009, 04:37 PM:name=Tesseract)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tesseract @ Jul 20 2009, 04:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I'm a troll for calling someone out for being sexist about something that doesn't make an iota of difference, then I shall willingly accept my title.

edit: grammar<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<i>Actually, If you take a look at your posts not just here but everywhere else and quit avoiding the obvious. <b>You are a troll</b>. You pick fights in a forum and make insults towards everyone who doesn't share your mentality, does that make you feel big? Quit picking members apart with your troll like teeth and step down and be quiet. Oh wait, you wont. I know you wont, because I know your type. You are here for the lols, the laughs, and the reactions, and you will try so hard to pin me to the wall with some outlandish post or cocky remark.

Wanting customization is not bad, a majority of good games do it. Halo is a good game, for its time. Now its just a pile of regrets, something that ten year olds have infested because it has the most pew pew. Something I'd figure for you to be the master of.

Personally, as long as I'm not forced to play as a female [and I bet someone will say something about this]. I don't care if its somewhat randomized, I really don't. It would kinda compensate with the theory of how the heck to the marines keep up with the fight, they don't have a infinite resource of legit people to call upon. So cloning or some type of mechanical-replaceable drone would be plausible to fit a good logic.</i>
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    I think it was the "Hell no" at playing another gender and "disliking crossplaying" which ultimately lead to Tesseract's remark that you are sexist RobB.

To be fair to Tesseract he has valid points even if he is coming across in such a negative way. MMO culture character customisation does nothing for the game, in fact the culture rapidly slows development time and is not worth putting in to an action based multiplayer shooter in which the target rounds are 20 minutes.

EDIT:

It is also completely unrealistic that marines would do this especially during war in favour of the nanite/financial revolution they would face. NOW we're getting in to BS reasons apart from that fact that from a game design perspective it makes no sense, on that alone the idea is wasted.
    <!--quoteo(post=1718285:date=Jul 20 2009, 08:16 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 20 2009, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it was the "Hell no" at playing another gender and "disliking crossplaying" which ultimately lead to Tesseract's remark that you are sexist RobB.

To be fair to Tesseract he has valid points even if he is coming across in such a negative way. MMO culture character customisation does nothing for the game, in fact the culture rapidly slows development time and is not worth putting in to an action based multiplayer shooter in which the target rounds are 20 minutes.

EDIT:

It is also completely unrealistic that marines would do this especially during war in favour of the nanite/financial revolution they would face. NOW we're getting in to BS reasons apart from that fact that from a game design perspective it makes no sense, on that alone the idea is wasted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<i> How hard is it to offer some color and texture changes? It is not that advanced. Yes it is unrealistic, but this is a game. Even outside of the game world there are some slight differences in uniform. Slight. Why even bother being fair to Tesseract? This isn't MMO character customization, this is just gaming customization. In games like warhawk or even Css you are allowed to look a little different. Why should we all suffer the drone like aspect of being all the same and dressing the same?

Not implementing something so simple creates a problem, how are you going to tell who your friend is apart from looking at the name. The time it takes to bring the name up of the player is wasteful of game play time.</i>
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    <u>
    Some kind of decal/patch spot would be neat, though it might end up being too small to be useful. Something sprayish. No real need for massive customization in a game like this though.
    </u>

~~Sickle~~
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Artwork requires the most resources to create. Just because it is a simple concept doesn't mean it is easy to do, especially if you want to do it well. If customization was going to be a pillar of the game it would be worth it. It is not, and this would just be a tacked on half-feature.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718289:date=Jul 20 2009, 08:27 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jul 20 2009, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Artwork requires the most resources to create. Just because it is a simple concept doesn't mean it is easy to do, especially if you want to do it well. If customization was going to be a pillar of the game it would be worth it. It is not, and this would just be a tacked on half-feature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Quoted for truth. On the other hand customization is fun and entertaining for a moment, but then again teammate regocnizition is the only connection I see to the ideals of original NS. NS also managed to create a very distinct militaristic and functional look for the marines, too much customization probably breaks it unless there's a lot of effort put into it.
  • TesseractTesseract Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61328Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718268:date=Jul 20 2009, 07:39 PM:name=Ninji)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ninji @ Jul 20 2009, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, If you take a look at your posts not just here but everywhere else and quit avoiding the obvious. You are a troll. <b>You pick fights in a forum and make insults towards everyone who doesn't share your mentality, does that make you feel big?</b> Quit picking members apart with your troll like teeth and step down and be quiet. <b>Oh wait, you wont. I know you wont, because I know your type. You are here for the lols, the laughs, and the reactions</b>, and you will try so hard to pin me to the wall with some outlandish post or cocky remark.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dear Lord you need to get over yourself. I know I don't pull punches when I post but have you noticed that I haven't posted in <b><i>every</i></b> single thread, here? Because I only post in certain threads, the one's with ideas that are genuinely bad. Yes, I am rude about, but maybe it's because I'm bored of these kinds of suggestions. People make them everywhere because they think X or Y feature would be great in Z game, but at the end of the day these features aren't needed and would detract from the purpose of the game. It's people trying to come up with <b><i>their own</i></b> dream game, and not really thinking beyond "I want this in the game" to "will this <b><i>genuinely</i></b> be a purposeful addition to the game." And you could claim that by arguing against them I'm on some hidden agenda for my own dream game, but that's rediculous as I'm just shooting down suggestions and not making any of my own. I trust the development team to do the right thing, and so should you.

Now, on the subject of character customisation, think of it this way: what benefit would you gain from it?
    a) You'd know who were your buddies, specifically.
    You should know who they are, anyway.
    b) It looks "cool."
    That's pretty subjective, and unimportant.
    c) Some other reason.
    No.

Edit: broken tag
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718286:date=Jul 20 2009, 09:22 PM:name=Ninji)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ninji @ Jul 20 2009, 09:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i> How hard is it to offer some color and texture changes? It is not that advanced. Yes it is unrealistic, but this is a game. Even outside of the game world there are some slight differences in uniform. Slight. Why even bother being fair to Tesseract? This isn't MMO character customization, this is just gaming customization. In games like warhawk or even Css you are allowed to look a little different. Why should we all suffer the drone like aspect of being all the same and dressing the same?

Not implementing something so simple creates a problem, how are you going to tell who your friend is apart from looking at the name. The time it takes to bring the name up of the player is wasteful of game play time.</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one is going to dumb a game down this far. I'm pretty much done with the arguing on this idea because it is never going to be a plus to a game, if you've ever done anything in a modification or retail game you may know how to spot very very silly ideas such as this easily.

PS. Writing in italics is not cool.
    edited July 2009
    *both of you, stop the silly half-attacks and keep to the point. If you have nothing more *useful* to add to the topic, then just leave it* --Comprox