Dedicated Server

KeldounKeldoun Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68114Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Creating a dedicated server</div>Hey, I'm trying to create a dedicated server for NS but i keep getting errors....

can someone explain or link me to a detailed explaination of how to get it working please?

Comments

• DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Can you post us the errors you get ?
  • KeldounKeldoun Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68114Members
    ok i got the server up and running but sometimes it spikes high for no reason and other times it crashes with the error try_alloc greater than free hunk and hunk_alloc I cant find anything telling what that is on google

Specs are
    2.4 ghz pentium 4
    768 megs ram
    cable connection with 512 upload speed
    Windows XP Pro SP3

should hold 12 people no problem but these crashes keep happening any know why??

thanks for help
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Verify nothing else is running in the background?
    Maybe post the command line you are using for review.
    Maybe add -heapsize 786432 to your command line?
    When it is spiking are you connected to it as a client from the same machine? (assuming it is a dedicated server)
    Is the server connected to a router?

No clue really, just some thoughts that came to mind.
    nothing is running in the background, i have already increased the heapsize also i disabled screensaver/ desktop wallpaper power options (ie turn disks off after 20 mins) stuff like that is off visuization is on performance mode paging file is maxed (4096)

Im using a router but the ports are forwarded I connect to it thru another computer on the same network NOT the same computer

command line is something like -heapsize 500000 -pingboost 1 -console +exec server.cfg

plus a few others but just cfgs' and map and maxplayer and such
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    :: Vadakill's Guide: <a href="http://www.vadakill.com/nsguides/" target="_blank">http://www.vadakill.com/nsguides/</a> -

Just read it...
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <3 Vadakill guide.
    omg yes very good guide

I have a new issue now though

I have whichbot installed and working my problem is I want it to have no bots when there is no players and then 1 bot when there is 1 human and 2 bots when there is 2 and 3 when there is 3 but also leave the aliens side when a player joins aliens

is this possible??

thanks for all the help APPREICATE IT!
  • asmodeeasmodee Join Date: 2007-06-20 Member: 61317Members, Constellation
    1) your connection can't handle 12 humans without problems

2) no idea on the crashing

3) -pingboost doesn't do anything on windows hlds

4) you can set up whichbot to join bots automatically as people join marines, but to have them leave when people join aliens would require a plugin to control whichbot afaik
    Oh ok

Now I am the admin and I have it so your cant say /wb add or /wb remove to add or remove bots

but in console i cant do wb add or wb remove it says unknown command wb

but when i do wb add or wb remove from the server it works

how can i get it to work when im playing??
    type "/wb add" and "/wb remove" in global chat (not team chat)

For balance check the whichbot.txt file in the whichbot/conf folder for the balance settings. As I recall it is pretty well documented Something about setting the number of bots vs number of players, like 0, 2, 4, 6, 4, 3, 1, 0. so 0 bots for zero players, two bots for one player, four bots for two players, etc. I think you also have to set a console variable like "wb_balance on" or something like that. Read the docs (RTFM) the info is there,.
    Sorry Im saying I disabled the say commands like /wb add

i want to be able to do it from console so only i can do it and not every player that joins
    Oh I see. You can get access to all commands with rcon (Remote Control) - First, setup a password in your server.cfg file if you haven't already, rcon_password "YOURdumbpassword"

Now that the password is established you can gain access to RCON when you are in game by typing rcon_password "YOURdumbpassword". Once you have access to RCON you can issue anything just like you are typing it into the server console by prefacing it with the word rcon. Like this > rcon /wb add
    oh that could work I suppose

I have the rcon password set in the server.cfg already

could i make it so when i connect to the server it automatically gives me rcon or do i have to type in rcon_password "password" everytime??
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Could always bind a key you're not likely to hit at all/that often to do the command?
    How often do you hit the + key on your numpad in game-play?

I believe you can also set a command when joining the server it parses the rcon password.
    Alrighty cool

Thanks for all the help guys :)
  • wildwolfwildwolf Join Date: 2007-12-07 Member: 63097Members
    Im haveing a problem trying to make myself a server i downloaded everything and read a few forum pages but im getting this when i type status in my server console:

Setmaster: Unknown command enable
    VAC secure mode disabled.
    Executing Admin Mod config file
    ] status
    hostname: test
    version : 48/1.1.2.1/2.0.0.0 4554 insecure (70)
    tcp/ip : 192.168.1.104:27015
    map : ns_bast at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
    players : 0 active (6 max)

# name userid uniqueid frag time ping loss adr
    0 users

I need to find a way to make the version secured instead of insecure i even double cheaked my ports on my router and created a steam_appid.txt file with the 70 code so im not seeing the reson. if some one could help plz and ill keep searching in the mean time