Piracy concerns

Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
<div class="IPBDescription">How they gona stop that</div>So i come from poor Post-Soviet country. I live in uk now and preordered the SE in first day it was available. But i started playing ns1 on cracked server and cracked client. There is only one server in my country.
I spoke with one of the main admins on that server about ns2. I asked him do they think to lunch ns2 server. And he said only if there will be cracked version. I was quite upset about that.
I said him that game cost only 20$ and he said : yes but the ns1 costs the same (to buy hl1) and only some 10 people have it. And that was a good point.
<b>So what you will do in case of piracy ? </b>

Comments

• MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    There isn't much that they can do against piracy, it's just way to rampant to stop. But keep in mind that any cracked version will only be able to play on cracked servers and it will take a while for hackers to develop these since NS2 runs on its own independent engine. If you are wondering how Unknown Worlds will respond as a company to pirates? Not totally sure what they can do.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited July 2009
    there are always going to be pirates but, i think anti piracy is quite easy - and i think ns2 has got the two factors which will definitely help

1. Make the game actually worth buying - the game has to be good the whole way through, not just 1 or two cool bits and the rest boring.
    Put in something that makes the game awesome when played online - basically because of the MP only factor you can't really play offline anyway
    (and im fairly confident ns2 will have this)

2.Make it cheap - at $20 why wouldn't you buy?

3. the other option is that servers must have some kind of extra authentication to the master server - so only legit servers can be run
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    For a small team like the developers of NS2, there cannot be much that they can do. Even Blizzard couldn't stop hackers from cracking WoW and hosting their own servers, so I don't see how UWE can do any better. Every single popular FPS out there have their own cracked clients and servers anyway. As long as the piracy isn't too rampant (very subjective though), I think UWE should take it as a compliment when someone cracks their game. After all, only the worst games aren't affected by piracy.

Btw, 20USD can be cheap or expensive depending on where you're living.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716906:date=Jul 11 2009, 11:32 PM:name=senor_hybrido)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (senor_hybrido @ Jul 11 2009, 11:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw, 20USD can be cheap or expensive depending on where you're living.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes that's right ! before i moved to UK i never bought any game !! Now i bought few but if the game is worth buying i do buy it.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716902:date=Jul 11 2009, 05:58 PM:name=Megahalo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Megahalo @ Jul 11 2009, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There isn't much that they can do against piracy, it's just way to rampant to stop. But keep in mind that any cracked version will only be able to play on cracked servers and it will take a while for hackers to develop these since NS2 runs on its own independent engine. If you are wondering how Unknown Worlds will respond as a company to pirates? Not totally sure what they can do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sigh... this game, like all games, is open source assembly when viewed in the right debugger. Why do people think that up until now all games have been using the same game engine and therefore susceptible to 11 year old hacks and exploits...

Fact is this game is a nerd magnetic... therefore it will be cracked, hacked, exploited, pirated, and enjoyed. Get over it.

Also... a homemade game engine = bugs... big nasty performance stealing memory leaking... reinstall/blame Microsoft/vista/Nvidia now.... bugs.

Overall i hope they don't spend one second trying to google some useless antipiracy product to spend money and time on integrating. After all the best anti-piracy method is requiring a cdkey to play on line which is what we got now (got my key :P).. that will stop 99% of piracy. Their discussion over.
  • Alurcard2Alurcard2 Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18614Members
    I've never really seen piracy as being a problem for multiplayer games. The few people who pirate them and play on cracked servers will either buy the game later on so that they can play on actual servers with the bigger community, or they will get bored, quit, and would probably never have bought the game anyway. You don't get nearly as much out of a pirated multiplayer game as a single player game.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716916:date=Jul 12 2009, 11:21 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 12 2009, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--></snip><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Won't stop, will just limit.

Unless they have a call-back feature that authenticates against a MasterServer and not local hash coding for the cd-key, it will only limit it.
    It's like Demigod, at launch they ended up having something like... 180,000 unique calls back to the server checking for updates, despite only finding out about 18,000 LEGIT sales.
    Partly because (Gamestop? I think) launched it a week early meaning the piraters got it, cracked it and sent it up to torrents before it was on the streets.

Legit clients are ever-increasing... I just hope if there is a Master Server authentication for clients, that it is capable of handling large hits on day one :)
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I would have piracy concerns, if the game were arrrrR-rated
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Didn't they already say it was being integrated with steamworks?
  • Dead-InsideDead-Inside Join Date: 2004-09-22 Member: 31862Members
    Doubt it'll be pirated in any hurting amounts. Even less so by people who would have "bought it if they couldn't pirate". I'm going to assume they're not going to be able to play online without a legit key, unless on cracked servers, which kind of forces any would-be pirate's hand into a purchase.
  • BryBry Join Date: 2003-01-23 Member: 12609Members
    I guess the main defence will be steamworks. While people will be able to pirate it but, NS2 is virtually an online only game. Meaning those who download it will not have a cdkey that is able to authenticate (or will have to be extremely lucky). The best they can really hope for is to play it on pirated servers so tbh NS2 pirated should not be a major concern as long as it needs some kind of authentication like steamids to play online
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    Piracy isn't an issue for NS2. In fact, if everyone on the planet pirated a copy of the software (but not a key for online) that they could play on LAN, the game would be a huge success. All the devs have to do is make the game have value and people will buy it. Unfortunately the same can't always be said of singleplayer games. (it also ignores markets dominated by piracy, which is an actual issue, but not addressed by copy protection measures)
  • tertletertle Join Date: 2009-07-12 Member: 68117Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716927:date=Jul 12 2009, 02:58 PM:name=Alurcard2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alurcard2 @ Jul 12 2009, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've never really seen piracy as being a problem for multiplayer games. The few people who pirate them and play on cracked servers will either buy the game later on so that they can play on actual servers with the bigger community, or they will get bored, quit, and would probably never have bought the game anyway. You don't get nearly as much out of a pirated multiplayer game as a single player game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that pretty much sums it up, piracy really is only a concern for SP games.

If they spend any time/money on anti piracy other than authenticate checks when logging onto servers, then it's wasted time and money better spent elsewhere.

EA spent $2mill on a version of secuROM for one of their games, it took pirates under 5 days to break it (which is pretty much the longest time it's taken for one of their recent games to be cracked.) They can not afford $2mill and anything less will be broken probably before release.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716927:date=Jul 12 2009, 12:58 AM:name=Alurcard2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alurcard2 @ Jul 12 2009, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've never really seen piracy as being a problem for multiplayer games. The few people who pirate them and play on cracked servers will either buy the game later on so that they can play on actual servers with the bigger community, or they will get bored, quit, and would probably never have bought the game anyway. You don't get nearly as much out of a pirated multiplayer game as a single player game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed. With multiplayer games it takes a lot more effort to pirate because you need to find a bunch of other players to pirate it with in order to play the game at all. I think steamworks plu sthe C-D key will solve this problem pretty effectively.
  • The_Real_QuasarThe_Real_Quasar Has the I.Q. of 12,000 P.E. Teachers Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9998Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716930:date=Jul 12 2009, 07:45 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jul 12 2009, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would have piracy concerns, if the game were arrrrR-rated<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like you.

Piracy's never going to go away, but I like to think that UWE lack the 'corporate ######' image that fills in the moral gaps in pirating games from larger companies, like EA. I'd feel a lot worse pirating NS2 than I would, say, The Sims, purely because UWE are a fledgling company and need all the help they can get. Hopefully, I'm not the only one with morals on the internet -_-
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Look, people who are so desperate as to play a game like NS on a hacked server and play with only a few people won't buy the game. Period. Its kind of like homeless people... Anyway, the real way to combat piracy is to COMPETE WITH IT. By selling the game for 20 bucks instead of 50, they've already gone a long way. Since its 20 and its gonna be teh rox, thats another point for it. Lastly, its a multiplayer only game with a great community. I don't want people who aren't sold on all of that to be around here.. there is something wrong with them.
    I got an idea to limit the amount of piracy even more... basically we allow players to join a server who didn't buy a game but limit the weapons they can pick up... make it sort of like a demo mode where their limited to lmg or skulk...
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Is Valve concerned about TF2 being pirated ? I don't think so.
    UWE has even less to be worried about.
  • Alurcard2Alurcard2 Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18614Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1717019:date=Jul 12 2009, 01:01 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 12 2009, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got an idea to limit the amount of piracy even more... basically we allow players to join a server who didn't buy a game but limit the weapons they can pick up... make it sort of like a demo mode where their limited to lmg or skulk...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would just disturb other players on the server, and it's not a very good demo either. It is never a good idea to deny or award things to specific people in that sort of way since it unbalances the game.

Edit: btw, pressing quote inserts a whole lot of
    in the textbox.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1717036:date=Jul 12 2009, 05:59 PM:name=Alurcard2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alurcard2 @ Jul 12 2009, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That would just disturb other players on the server, and it's not a very good demo either. It is never a good idea to deny or award things to specific people in that sort of way since it unbalances the game.

Edit: btw, pressing quote inserts a whole lot of
    in the textbox.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm maybe have it where on certain days or certain hours of the day they get full weapons or something.

If we make it free on some level then a lot of people will be playing and even more will be buying it.

Maybe limit them to certain maps or not allow them to play custom maps...
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1717037:date=Jul 12 2009, 11:16 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 12 2009, 11:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm maybe have it where on certain days or certain hours of the day they get full weapons or something.

If we make it free on some level then a lot of people will be playing and even more will be buying it.

Maybe limit them to certain maps or not allow them to play custom maps...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So.. Basically make a demo..? :P
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716985:date=Jul 12 2009, 09:45 AM:name=The_Real_Quasar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Real_Quasar @ Jul 12 2009, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like you.

Piracy's never going to go away, but I like to think that UWE lack the 'corporate ######' image that fills in the moral gaps in pirating games from larger companies, like EA. I'd feel a lot worse pirating NS2 than I would, say, The Sims, purely because UWE are a fledgling company and need all the help they can get. Hopefully, I'm not the only one with morals on the internet -_-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah you would think that but <a href="http://kotaku.com/5085915/90-of-world-of-goo-installs-are-pirated" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5085915/90-of-world-of-g...lls-are-pirated</a>
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1717019:date=Jul 12 2009, 03:01 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 12 2009, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got an idea to limit the amount of piracy even more... basically we allow players to join a server who didn't buy a game but limit the weapons they can pick up... make it sort of like a demo mode where their limited to lmg or skulk...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do you think before you post?
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    In Post-Soviet country.... Game Pirates you!
    <!--quoteo(post=1717038:date=Jul 12 2009, 06:25 PM:name=XeZo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XeZo @ Jul 12 2009, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So.. Basically make a demo..? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes and no... not just a demo but a entry level free client to get people playing with people that bought the game, on their servers.
    <!--quoteo(post=1717042:date=Jul 12 2009, 06:36 PM:name=Frogg2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frogg2 @ Jul 12 2009, 06:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you think before you post?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Usually but this time i'm posting like how i code... many repetition's and rebuilds until it works :P
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716901:date=Jul 11 2009, 05:54 PM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ Jul 11 2009, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>So what you will do in case of piracy ? </b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lmao, it's like some bad high school public service announcement.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Since NS2 is an online only game, they can simply authenticate that players joining servers are legitimate players - sure, you will probably have a handful of pirated servers at most, but who cares about them - they get less of a game experience and aren't worth caring about at all.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I agree, because NS2 is a online game, piracy, other than pirated servers, won't be a real problem.

Even if anti piracy stuff is added (DRM), it won't change ANYTHING about the fact that there will be pirate copies (well, it will annoy the user that legaly got NS2).

So, pirates are a fact one has to live with, but i think the simple fact that you can't play on 99% of the servers without the real copy, will keep piracy low
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    With Steamworks, they can do the free weekends like TF2 does. I remember reading somewhere on TF2's site that these are hugely popular, and drive up sales by a significant amount. That takes care of the trial, you could even have a regularly scheduled free weekend every month.

As far as the piracy goes, nothing they can do can stop it. There's already generic cracks for Steam available, so if they are relying on Steam's DRM it's already broken. But as has been said so many times in this thread, there are not many cracked servers running, and they are mostly contained to certain countries.