Where to start?

psykotikpsykotik Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68106Members
Well, I played NS1 back when it first came out, but have totally forgotten how to play the game. I tried playing some games recently, but unfortunately all the servers that are left are full of experienced players and don't have time for a noob.

I've already preordered the SE, but I want to be prepared for when the game comes out.

How would I go about learning more about the game and how it's supposed to be played? Would reading the latest NS1 online manual be a good place to start? Or is NS2 going to be THAT different?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    We don't really know how different it'll be. The goal they're aiming for is supposedly 1/3rd old, 1/3rd updated, 1/3rd new. At worst, you'll have to learn in-game with the rest of us!
  • SkydancerSkydancer Join Date: 2003-03-28 Member: 14959Members, Constellation
    At worst?? Being all newbs again is where the fun is at!!
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    If you really want to get a head start, I would get on to one of the empty classic servers that has bots playing the alien side. If you're the only one in the game, it will give you a chance to use the command chair, and you can hone your aim against the more predictable bots. Also if you suck no one cares cause it's just you.

When I've done this, I've had to first jump in the comm chair, plant an IP (Infantry Portal) and a Armory, jump out, build the armory, jump in the chair again, drop some mines, jump out, plant mines around the IP, then build the IP. Keep placing mines around the IP, and you won't have any trouble with getting the IP eaten before you spawn again.

The bots are inclined to run straight for you, jumping occasionally. This gives you a chance to steady your aim, and aim at where the enem IS, not where you think they might go to. If you're finding playing against people is far too hard, you might find this is because you're trying too hard to anticipate their next move (badly). Playing bots helps to forget about that, and just shoot where they are at any given instant, and the consistancy of bot tactics (or lack of) gives you a chance to iron out your own inconsistancies with aiming.

Playing against bots won't help you be a better commander, but it will help appreciate the commander role more. The best chance you'll get with learning the commander role is to stick to a bot server and just stay in the commander chair as people join your team. You WILL get pushy people telling you to get out, but if you can ignore that, and listen to what the players are asking for, you'll begin to get used to the controls and following players. More comm advice... If you REALLY want to learn the Comm chair, get a microphone, make it work. If you can get verbal with your players you will get better advice. Players sometimes won't bother using their mic if they thin you don't have one either. Try to force yourself to get used to the shortcut keys for comm chair. The basic system is that the menu has 3 rows of 4 columns, and this corresponds at all times with:

ROW 1 - QWER
    ROW 2 - ASDF
    ROW 3 - ZXCV

Pressing those keys activates the corresponding action in the grid on the lower right of the HUD. Probably when you get in to the heat of things, you'll forget your shortcuts, or press the wrong item, but don't let that stop you from sticking to the shortcut keys. Players won't let you stay in the chair long if you can't place items quickly, so stick to it.

As for aliens I have no idea. I'm really not very good with the life-forms, I sometimes have a good run but mostly I'm killed before I get my money's worth with anything other than a skulk. Probably the answer for aliens is to jump into a CO combat server, and just stick to one life form at a time to get used to it. The trick to the fade seems to be .... BLINK in, wack, wack, BLINK out, Energize... repeat. The hard part is blinking out... It's easy to get disoriented, hit a door frame, get stuck in a corner, and die... or simply go into a more dangerous room and end up dead.

I believe that the NS2 experience is going to be very different. All the little "tricks" that make you good at NS original are going to either change or disappear entirely. Mouse movement is no doubt going to change (Nothing is quite as precise at the Quake engine, anything after that always has a bit of lag or sensitivity inconsistancy), the weapons are changing, as well as the commander experience (I imagine similar, but completely overhauled), aliens are to have a commander and the upgrades handling is going to change. Movement is sure to be different, hitboxes different, visuals different. So all of the honing of skills you do with NS1 will be reset (along with the rest of us)

The point is that refining skills in NS1 will let you experience more of the gameplay, because as one thing becomes automatic, you start to notice other things, and begin honing them too. The more you get used to the controls, the more you learn about tactics, strategies, and general gameplay concepts.

If anyone has tactics to share for NS1 (what each unit should get excellent at) then I think that will help lots of us.