The Writing of a Simple Flash Tutorial

remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">What game should I make?</div>I have been commissioned to write three tutorials on making games using AS3 in Flash, but I have been given a ton of freedom in the actual content of the tutorial.

So, I come to you, friends of NSoT, to propose a few questions... answer whichever apply to you, or let me know anything else you are thinking:

Does anyone have any super simple game ideas that I could use?
What aspects of making a game seem completely like magick to you?
What are the greatest mysteries you have encountered (if)when you started making games?

Thanks guys. :)

Comments

• FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    Classic Gameplay mixed with new concepts are always nice for flash.

Top scroller and there are 2 kind of enemy bullets Red and Blue.
    When you are hit by a red bullet your ship gets a little bit more red. Same for blue.
    Once you are too blue/red you die.
    Grant access the special power, depending on your current color.
    Being neutral adds the most powerfull main gun
    Being blue adds the most powerfull defensive abilities.
    Being red adds the most powerfull offensive abilities.

Enemies are more powerfull depending on their brightness.

Bosses should be big and have blue and red areas. You need to charge your ship to a certain color and then fly your ship into a part of the opposing color, turning it grey. When the whole boss is grey you win. As an alternative you can also simply shoot it down ;)

Very simple, allows the player to survive by managing being hit and allows them to change the way they wanne play directly through game interaction.

Add achievments like:
    Pacifist (play a single level without firing a single shot)
    Primary Target (Get hit by every single enemy bullet)
    Big Blue/Red (Be at least 90% red/blue for 5 consecutive minutes)
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Kind of a shameless plug here but for my first Flash game project I worked with two students from my course, each doing a different part. I took up the coding of the project (never touched AS3 in my life) and managed to produce a very simple game called <a href="http://apps.facebook.com/poseidon/" target="_blank">Poseidon</a>. It uses all the basic functions you may need to use in a game such as Timers, Arrays etc.

The game works by picking out a couple of words from an external dictionary in a txt file and links them to a character. The user has to then type the word into the input box below and if the word matches one of a character, you save that particular person.

Also for advice in writing your tutorial, game design documents help hell of a lot.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716165:date=Jul 7 2009, 01:47 PM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jul 7 2009, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://apps.facebook.com/poseidon/" target="_blank">Poseidon</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Solid Flash game.

Except for sailors sometimes covering up words :(
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1716165:date=Jul 7 2009, 07:47 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jul 7 2009, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kind of a shameless plug here but for my first Flash game project I worked with two students from my course, each doing a different part. I took up the coding of the project (never touched AS3 in my life) and managed to produce a very simple game called <a href="http://apps.facebook.com/poseidon/" target="_blank">Poseidon</a>. It uses all the basic functions you may need to use in a game such as Timers, Arrays etc.

The game works by picking out a couple of words from an external dictionary in a txt file and links them to a character. The user has to then type the word into the input box below and if the word matches one of a character, you save that particular person.

Also for advice in writing your tutorial, game design documents help hell of a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First of all, did either of the other two students do the coding? What did they do? This is the exact same scenario the users of my tutorial will be in (The tutorial is going to be used in a intro level game design class).

Second, would you mind elaborating on what you mean by the game design documents helping? Do you mean that it helps when writing a tutorial, or that having a game design document before working on a game helps a lot?
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    I did 100% of the coding on this project, one other did all of the art assets including backgrounds and characters, and the other guy wrote up the design document and worked on the sound. As for the game design document itself, the latter. Its mainly good for assigning tasks to each person if there is more than one of you, and it also helps as a checklist for features.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1716272:date=Jul 7 2009, 07:30 PM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jul 7 2009, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did 100% of the coding on this project, one other did all of the art assets including backgrounds and characters, and the other guy wrote up the design document and worked on the sound. As for the game design document itself, the latter. Its mainly good for assigning tasks to each person if there is more than one of you, and it also helps as a checklist for features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's pretty impressive. I'm hoping the incoming students will be able to pull off what you did.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716272:date=Jul 8 2009, 12:30 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jul 8 2009, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did 100% of the coding on this project, one other did all of the art assets including backgrounds and characters, and the other guy wrote up the design document and worked on the sound. As for the game design document itself, the latter. Its mainly good for assigning tasks to each person if there is more than one of you, and it also helps as a checklist for features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow awesome.

I got 18200 with an accuracy of 88% on hard difficulty. First try :)
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715884:date=Jul 6 2009, 12:39 AM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Jul 6 2009, 12:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715884"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What aspects of making a game seem completely like magick to you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Anything to do with 3-D. That's probably out of the scope of this tutorial.

Oh and i'd be interested to see a flash game that used a DB backend(to store Usernames plus high score or something)
    I would like to see something to do with highscores and users, everybody loves competition :)
  • PhlashPhlash Join Date: 2008-02-18 Member: 63674Members, Constellation
    You should show the users how to tighten up the graphics if you are to make a Flash tutorial.

Is this for Rob by the way?
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716562:date=Jul 9 2009, 02:17 PM:name=Phlash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phlash @ Jul 9 2009, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should show the users how to tighten up the graphics if you are to make a Flash tutorial.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you being facetious ie: tighten up the graphics on level 3, or asking a serious question?
  • PhlashPhlash Join Date: 2008-02-18 Member: 63674Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716565:date=Jul 9 2009, 02:30 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jul 9 2009, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you being facetious ie: tighten up the graphics on level 3, or asking a serious question?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes to the first one