Infestation wall

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
edited June 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
As an extension to alien infestation, make it possible (perhaps only by the alien commander, or via a special chamber) for the aliens to build a wall which forms, for example, across a hallway. Initially, it could be a few strands. But over time (a few minutes), it would resemble a web or mesh. As with other structures, it would gain health as it builds.

This wall, once fully formed, would completely block marines from crossing it -- although they could potentially shoot through its visible gaps. While the wall is being formed, marines could still get through it -- although at a slower and slower speed depending on how developed the wall is. Aliens would be able to move through the wall at normal walking speed -- no running or "blinking" through the wall. The onos would move through at a much slower rate.

The wall could, of course, be destroyed, with lots of grenades and/or flamethrower. However, it would quickly heal itself if not being attacked. Knifing the wall would give a visceral response and stop the wall from healing itself, but would not really hurt it.

The ability to build the wall would be available from the beginning of the game. However, it could only be used near infestation or perhaps near certain alien chambers. Proximity to other walls or being in a "powered" area might be other limiting factors.

It would not be possible to "siege" the wall, since the point of the wall is to make the marines attack it from nearby.

P.S. I'd really like to be able for the aliens to actually build the wall from something. Like what, you ask? Marine body parts is the first thing that comes to mind, although NS has never been keen on gore so I'm willing to let it go. However, we could use their dropped weapons. Another material could be the "creep" itself, which could be potentially picked up by the gorge and placed on the wall. If nothing else, gorge heal spray could always be used as a last resort.

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    [X] don't [_] like

Reason:
    Marines need to sacrifice lots of Ammo to get through a Wall that could be spammed like 4 Times in the same hallways.
    Does spell anything but balanced for me.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    *Shoots the idea dead with an M60 SAW*

No thank you.

Gorges will be getting the ability to morph Infestation, leave it at that.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    i think they already have this, infestation clogs up hallways making it impassable but flamethrowers are great ways to cut it down, same for doors they can be welded shut
    As well with the fact gorges get to manipulate Infestation.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    I actually like the idea. If done right and with sufficient tweaking it sounds like it would take a good deal of time to actually collect itself into a wall, over the course of the game.

An infestation wall would also reduce the main advantage of the marines, being their range. If you block off the visuals or bullets down a hallway you allow skulks to set up around it or behind it and wait in ambush for marines to come and try to slowly walk through it or take time to destroy it, so distracting their attention from the skulks/aliens.

In addition it sounds like these walls would only really be a problem around the mid-late game when marine firepower tends to make skulks cry.
  • MimmitarMimmitar Join Date: 2007-09-04 Member: 62163Members
    I kinda like it as well, although I'd prefer it if it was say an automatic door made of vine type growths that would open to allow aliens to pass through and close to stop marines, give it the health of a chamber and marines could pass it quite easily while still being usable as an escape route for aliens.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    No.

I can only think of two or three situations in which this would be balanced and well used. The potential number of situations in which this could be abused are rather limitless. And as much as I like that idea, I'm not willing to throw away gameplay just because every once in a while you'd see it being used in game like it actually should be. Imagine a lame strategy in which every alien goes gorge and spams these infestation walls in every route leading to the last hive? Of course your counterargument is to simply limit the number of such said infestation walls, but then what would keep them from simply building another right behind the last destroyed wall? It worked with webbing only because it was a hive 3 ability and by then most marines had either a grenade launcher (or single grenade) or a welder. You could make a stretch and say a welder could tear down infestation walls, but come on.. we're talking about a welder, not a bulldoser.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    Can anyone point out what the gorge manipulation of infestation is all about? I haven't seen anything on that.

I think having the infestation close off rooms or pathways and etc could be a fun dynamic, but only as much as is dictated by the map design. As in, infested areas shut off doors or lifts in such a way as to the advantage of aliens, but this is all managed by the map designer and fixed locals.

Or things like, infestation weakens jetpacks (if they're still included). So a jetpack can get to an infested vent, but can't jetpack down it to escape or otherwise. Or, as according to the map design, there would be vents that HAVE to be clear of infestation for jetpacks to navigate, because there is a vertical shaft and the infestation is too much for the jetpack to get through, and thus falls back down. Also a hive room fully infested would be more difficult for a jetpack rush (Still probably fatal, but less of a foregone conclusion).

Make it so gorges can climb infestation like a skulk, and plant chambers in the walls and ceiling.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714771:date=Jun 29 2009, 04:49 PM:name=Avata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avata @ Jun 29 2009, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can anyone point out what the gorge manipulation of infestation is all about? I haven't seen anything on that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I've seen speculation about that, but no dev comments.

I like the idea, although it should take too much to break and should probably have anti-spam features. Even if it just hid line of sight and bullets tore through it like paper it would be useful.
    The devs, If I remember, were talking about you seeding Chambers by shooting a spore at an area, and it grows out of the infestation.

IF that is so, no need for ###### ass gorge wall crawl.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    but it'd be still a tactical advantage for that bugger, you know yourself how hard it is to get those anoying marine off your tail.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    Seeding chambers sounds like a good option... Especially if chambers can seed anything that is infested, ceilings and walls etc

If a gorge can climb infestation, then he can seed a chamber in the ceiling, and climb up to assist building.

If he can't climb infestation, then he can still seed on the ceiling, but it takes longer to grow... and the player must decide if it's worth the wait.

I just like the idea of teams having home turf advantage. Right now it's all about chambers for aliens and turrents/AA's for marines. That's cool, but why not make the infestation and power grid concepts more than just visual? Make them practical/tactical as well. The more gameplay options that can be introduced with these game mechanics the better I reckon. As a marine in an infested area I want to be paranoid and watching the corners. As an alien I want to scatter like a cockroach when the lights come on.

Also, just because infestation and power grids can influence the environment and gameplay, it doesn't mean that the map designers have to use this. There is always logical reasons why a map can be made that isn't effected but infestation and electricity availability. Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Paring the concept down a little, why can't dynamic infestation and dynamic infestation alone indicate where and when sticky strands of web/infestation begins to collect inside narrow corridors? It could be a map-defined feature to specify where a wall/web could form, or it could be purely dynamic and based on age of infestation, closeness of walls, etc.

If it's easy to burn away with a flamethrower it's mostly for visual effect (and hiding behind/around as aliens)

It's not important enough to be in NS2 v1.0 but maybe NS2 1.04 or 2.01
    ehh, that would be ok, only if it blocks visual and the area is predetermined.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Predetermined or not, if it blocks visuals and only slows movement down a small amount while inside the 'webbed' area, I don't see it as game breaking by any means, especially if a flamethrower (Glee!) can be used to clear the whole mess.

The idea of a gradually accumulating 'mess' of infestation on the floors, walls and these new 'webbed' areas of hallway would encourage players to request flamethrowers, since the alternative would be 25% or so reduced movement within the webbed area, plus slight visual impairment. The whole idea would also hopefully give aliens more opportunities for ambushes and traps.

I imagine this as kind of a really really really scaled up version of gorge web, without the near-immobilization and much better graphics!
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    NS1 was known for how well balanced the gameplay was. Even though there were questions about that. I remember seeing exi vs. I dont remember what team having to have multiple matches because they kept on tying. The alien team was too overpowered.

With infestation, I think this is going to completely through off the gameplay. Since the aliens don't have to do anything to have the infestation disable machinery, that doesn't make much sense.

I think that if infestation was to occur, it should occur when say for instance, a res node is built and the infestation grows from the res node, or a chamber of any sort where it would grow from that. And when they are taken down by a marine, the infestation would simply die off.

I had always dreamed of NS2 almost the same exact way as NS1 but with better graphics. It was just so balanced.

I DO LIKE, however, how the Onos has been turned into more of a defensive alien than offensive. I'm sure it was always meant to be that way, but turns out that a good Onos in NS1 could hold off an entire team. I'd like to see the Onos simply help with rushes (where skulks and fades hide behind him when he's using his shield and when he get's close enough all the aliens pop out from behind him)

I hope the Onos doesn't have the ability to paralyze a player anymore. I know that they can disable machinery.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714778:date=Jun 29 2009, 05:00 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jun 29 2009, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I've seen speculation about that, but no dev comments.

I like the idea, although it should take too much to break and should probably have anti-spam features. Even if it just hid line of sight and bullets tore through it like paper it would be useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I take it back. It exists.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie added a gorge "seedling" that is basically a protective wall ("bony growth"?). Can't wait to play with that.7:37 PM Jan 9th from web<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • 2_of_Eight2_of_Eight Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20016Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714696:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:11 AM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Jun 29 2009, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No.

I can only think of two or three situations in which this would be balanced and well used. The potential number of situations in which this could be abused are rather limitless. And as much as I like that idea, I'm not willing to throw away gameplay just because every once in a while you'd see it being used in game like it actually should be. Imagine a lame strategy in which every alien goes gorge and spams these infestation walls in every route leading to the last hive? Of course your counterargument is to simply limit the number of such said infestation walls, but then what would keep them from simply building another right behind the last destroyed wall? It worked with webbing only because it was a hive 3 ability and by then most marines had either a grenade launcher (or single grenade) or a welder. You could make a stretch and say a welder could tear down infestation walls, but come on.. we're talking about a welder, not a bulldoser.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I'm not necessarily for or against this idea, but I'm against calling things that we have not seen in a game unbalanced. I'm going to counter-argue by ridiculous example.

Fades are strong lifeforms. Imagine a lame strategy every alien goes fade and attacks the marines. Right, that's not going to happen; why not? Because aliens need other lifeforms, or they'll get rolled by no upgrades/hives/res to re-fade. Same with this. If every gorge chooses to put up a wall, they can get dominated when marines get an armoury up next to the wall and shotty it down in 5 seconds, having nobody to stop them but measly gorges.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not necessarily for or against this idea, but I'm against calling things that we have not seen in a game unbalanced. I'm going to counter-argue by ridiculous example.

Fades are strong lifeforms. Imagine a lame strategy every alien goes fade and attacks the marines. Right, that's not going to happen; why not? Because aliens need other lifeforms, or they'll get rolled by no upgrades/hives/res to re-fade. Same with this. If every gorge chooses to put up a wall, they can get dominated when marines get an armoury up next to the wall and shotty it down in 5 seconds, having nobody to stop them but measly gorges.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How many gorges would it take to lame up a hallway with webbing? Only reason why you don't see that is because the gorge would be in direct line of fire and marine would simply not get caught up in webbing and shoot at it. If they're actual barriers, gorges can do this, though I think you're assuming I meant that all would go gorge and all would lame infestation walls. It'd only take one persistent bugger to hole in the Kharaa in their last hive and keep placing infestation walls down as soon as one is shot down.

And true, while we shouldn't call things which have not been seen in a game unbalanced, it's also true that if I suggested an idea which would cause all spawning Kharaa in ns2 to start off as onos and not as skulks, that's unbalanced. Lets not pretend all ideas aren't necessarily unbalanced until we try them. :P
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->start off as onos and not as skulks, that's unbalanced<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> if the onos inherits the low health of a skulk, it is a huge nerf.
    <!--quoteo(post=1716708:date=Jul 10 2009, 06:33 AM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Jul 10 2009, 06:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How many gorges would it take to lame up a hallway with webbing? Only reason why you don't see that is because the gorge would be in direct line of fire and marine would simply not get caught up in webbing and shoot at it. If they're actual barriers, gorges can do this, though I think you're assuming I meant that all would go gorge and all would lame infestation walls. It'd only take one persistent bugger to hole in the Kharaa in their last hive and keep placing infestation walls down as soon as one is shot down.

And true, while we shouldn't call things which have not been seen in a game unbalanced, it's also true that if I suggested an idea which would cause all spawning Kharaa in ns2 to start off as onos and not as skulks, that's unbalanced. Lets not pretend all ideas aren't necessarily unbalanced until we try them. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If we assume that the web-walls only slow marine movement down and don't restrict it entirely while also providing a visual impairment to varying degrees, we won't see situations where a team full of gorges can completely stop marine movement. A couple of marines could just slowly walk through the webbing and then do some gorge-popping. Alternatively one marine with a flamethrower would be able to melt through the webbing like butter.
    Meh. It's a close call. I think while you could 'damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead,' I don't think anyone would do that for putting yourself in a vulnerable spot. It'd be a bit like purposefully jumping into webbing to get rid of it or climbing a ladder. If they could shoot it down, they'd do so (especially if it tears like paper), though even all this considered, you could still have a gorge around the next corner spamming more of it causing them to wear down ammo and time just to get to the alien hive. I wouldn't have a problem except that I doubt that would be a possible tactic but more like a spammable nuisance. From a balance point of view, would there really be any reason not to have infestation walls?
    <!--quoteo(post=1717417:date=Jul 15 2009, 09:08 AM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Jul 15 2009, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh. It's a close call. I think while you could 'damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead,' I don't think anyone would do that for putting yourself in a vulnerable spot. It'd be a bit like purposefully jumping into webbing to get rid of it or climbing a ladder. If they could shoot it down, they'd do so (especially if it tears like paper), though even all this considered, you could still have a gorge around the next corner spamming more of it causing them to wear down ammo and time just to get to the alien hive. I wouldn't have a problem except that I doubt that would be a possible tactic but more like a spammable nuisance. From a balance point of view, would there really be any reason not to have infestation walls?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Balance: Time

While these might in some playtest build be able to construct themselves (slowly) the idea that a gorge would have to take the time to build a structure that has no defencive, offensive or resource-based effect beyond the meta-game allows the gorge to:

a. do something useful when he's not sitting around with 0 res,
    b. consider the value of his time spent "oh 10 seconds building this web-wall up a bit or 10 seconds of running down the hallway to get to that res node? decisions!
    Well as far as tactical value, I see very little for the simple fact that if there was a res node I wanted to cap, but I could equally make an infestation wall, I think only rarely would I not put up the infestation wall prior to putting up the res node because it gives you a heads up for approaching marines. Guess it depends on the cost of an intestation wall, but I think that the point in which I would only lay down an infestation wall if I had more than enough resources due to being overly expensive, most people would not use it for being too expensive in of itself.

It's really no more tactical than a skulk waiting in ambush vs trying to attack head-on when a marine approaches. Certain decisions are not even really decisions because you'd almost never get an advantage to the contrary.