The Alien Commander and Dynamic Infestation

HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
edited July 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Influencing the Path</div>So, here's what the overview about DI has to say:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dynamic Environments

Spreading alien infestation deforms hallways and causes space station power failure, turning off lights and shutting down marine powered structures. Use a flamethrower to clear infestation or weld a bulkhead shut for a last defense. Every game is different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Due to the nature and utility that DI presents, it is of my opinion that that the Alien Commander should be able to catalyze, if not direct, the growth of infestation in selected areas.

<u>How it might work</u>
- AC's can select a <b>single room</b> connected to present Dynamic infestation, and trigger the speedier growth of Dynamic infestation.
- This selection should increase the DI growth speed by a certain multiplier [Let's assume x2 for now], but only in the room that has been selected. All other rooms should remain unaffected.
- Removal of DI in the selected room should be more difficult.

<u>How this is useful to Aliens</u>
- Can allow for a more focused expansion of territory for the Aliens.
-Using the current model of the node network, careful and deliberate Alien commanders can potentially use this ability cut off power to current Marine operations, such as a Hive lockdown or a Siege. This would be an effective tool for battles of attrition.

Comments

• AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    This is being discussed in a couple other threads. One (in the wrong forum) post I made is talking about what you're saying here (Alien Commander speeds growth in a single chosen direction) except that the interaction between Alien Comm and the infestation is done in first person like a ghost super gorge. The aesthetic is different, but the goal is the same.

<!--quoteo(post=1715969:date=Jul 6 2009, 12:05 PM:name=Avata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avata @ Jul 6 2009, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think having the "queen" need to re-locate to build a hive adds a level of difficulty that isn't fair on the aliens.... unless it's indestructable! What if the player is "really" inside the hive, but has the option to go first person wherever there's infestation, as a kind of psychic ghost mode. Then playing as the hive mind, the queen can dip in and out of first person, acting as a "super gorge". This super gorge can push infestation, boost buildings in it's vicinity, "reclaim" chambers, and maybe even perform some sort of "beacon" or "phase gate" role, like maybe a nydlisk tunnel thing from starcraft. Limit the super-gorge to being effective in infestation only, and perhaps give it the unique task of spawning new hives (with or without the need to get infestation there first, depending on gameplay balance).

Queen in first person is invisible to marines, but provides a kind of "wall hack" shared view for anything she sees. Also, around the hive, she has a limited defensive ability. I'd like this to give the aliens the kind of turtle options that marines currently enjoy, but even just abilities that can tackle a single marine scout would be useful. Ideally something like web targeted in FPS and shot from the hive would give the hive a great defensive boost while still being vulnerable.

Every hive spawned could have an additional queen, with the same influence on infestation, the same defensive ability for it's own hive, and a portal/beacon option when infestation is involved back to the hive it's in.

Again, I could see that no-one doing this won't nessesarily lose the game for the aliens, but would definately get them working together where they have the queen advantage. Also, it would be a fun role to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716009:date=Jul 6 2009, 03:28 PM:name=Avata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avata @ Jul 6 2009, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is being discussed in a couple other threads. One (in the wrong forum) post I made is talking about what you're saying here (Alien Commander speeds growth in a single chosen direction) except that the interaction between Alien Comm and the infestation is done in first person like a ghost super gorge. The aesthetic is different, but the goal is the same.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The search function isn't nearly good enough as it should be. :(
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    Doesn't bother me if threads topics repeat themselves. Each thread has it's own narrative, and 2 threads with the same subject nearly always come up with different solutions.

I liked your solution because it's acheiving the same goal but in a more straight forward way.
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    I don't think that being able to control the infestation would be of any help to the aliens expanding their territory. Obviously a marine that walks into a hallway leading to a hive room that is not the hive room that the aliens are spawning from would know to take out the infestation or direct the commander to counter act this infestation. I mean, obviously this sounds like a new strategic aspect of the game, and I think it's a pretty good idea, but I just think that it will end up always giving away hive locations.

I like it though, because I don't really know what else an alien commander could do, lol.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716349:date=Jul 8 2009, 10:40 AM:name=S!K)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (S!K @ Jul 8 2009, 10:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think that being able to control the infestation would be of any help to the aliens expanding their territory. Obviously a marine that walks into a hallway leading to a hive room that is not the hive room that the aliens are spawning from would know to take out the infestation or direct the commander to counter act this infestation. I mean, obviously this sounds like a new strategic aspect of the game, and I think it's a pretty good idea, but I just think that it will end up always giving away hive locations.

I like it though, because I don't really know what else an alien commander could do, lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In truth, it wouldn't take that long to find the hive anyways. =P

Addressing the expansion of territory, aliens would have to protect the territory to expand either way. Faster DI would reduce the time it takes to take over a room, meaning that aliens would devote less time and resources protecting said room.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716013:date=Jul 6 2009, 03:34 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Jul 6 2009, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The search function isn't nearly good enough as it should be. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105853" target="_blank">This</a> might help.