Remember more when I reconnect

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
When a player gets disconnected, the game should make every effort to preserve the player's status, so that they can reconnect without loosing everything. This should not only include how much res they have, but should also include what they were (e.g. onos, HA, etc), and also where they were on the map. Of course, you would have to reconnect in a reasonable amount of time (30 sec?) and rejoin the same team in order for this to take effect.

So, if a player has <u>not been recently attacked</u> (within 5 sec?), and there are <u>no enemies nearby</u> (within 10 meters?), then a player can disconnect and reconnect, and be spawned back into the <u>same place</u> they were when they disconnected, as the <u>same class</u> that they were.

Otherwise, only the player <u>res and kills stats</u> would be preserved. Their class and location would be lost, as if they had died -- and they would respawn as normal.

Obviously, this doesn't cover all scenarios where a person gets accidentally disconnect. However, it is a good balance between the player who gets accidentally disconnected and someone who would exploit the feature to their advantage. This is especially important in clan/tournament matches where the results affect overall standings.

P.S. There should also be a limit to the number of times this can happen to a player during a round. Someone that is constantly being disconnected is probably better off going to a different server. However, when it happens only once or twice, they deserve another chance.

Comments

• Blue21Blue21 Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67970Members
    I like the idea but I think that the player should be required to respawn.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    Having the server remember you and put you back into the place you were in would be great, as long as it can't be abused.

For instance, an ONOS that disconnects and then has to spawn back in... this could be abused...
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716171:date=Jul 7 2009, 06:58 AM:name=Avata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avata @ Jul 7 2009, 06:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having the server remember you and put you back into the place you were in would be great, as long as it can't be abused.

For instance, an ONOS that disconnects and then has to spawn back in... this could be abused...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed, this is why I said that you have to spawn back to the exact same place you left.

For example, I didn't want an Onos far away from the hive notice its hive is under attack, and be able to disconnect and reconnect in order to quickly get back to the hive.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    I think the solution is simple enough. Reconnecting should be the equivalent of a redemption, that is to say it brings you back to a random hive. This solves the problem of getting massacred upon reconnect. However, to avoid getting abused, think you'd simply have to encase him in an egg and be reborn. If they were an onos before, they'd have to re-evolve as an onos, which takes time, not to mention there's the risk that they'd get killed as an egg.

Good idea. *thumbs up*
  • 2_of_Eight2_of_Eight Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20016Members
    I agree completely with this idea. Implementation-wise, there are a few questions - is it better to have the player in the same spot, or to be at a hive/IP? Basically need to find a way to make this something that makes games less frustrating when technical issues arise, rather than an exploitative strategy (Onos incoming, you heavies disconnect and rejoin).
  • Batabusa2Batabusa2 Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67507Members
    Meh. Too much possibilities for abuse.
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    I like the idea. It would make more sense if the kills, res and all other progress except class should be preserved. It would be bs if someone gets killed as an onos because of their ping then comes back and is an onos again. I think that this addition would be especially good for combat, if it ever get's re-established in NS2. It wouldn't make a difference for regular NS maps though.