NS2 must be hilarious

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">truth</div>Anybody else hoping that NS2 will be as funny as the first? NS is pretty much the only game where I was LOLing a lot because there was so much random stuff that happened. Things like knife/flashlight of peace, gorges being funny, and aliens getting creative with killing the comm to name a few. Other shooters I've played just don't have the comic appeal that NS seems to have. Not sure if this makes sense...

Comments

• TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2009
    My guess is that it depends on the people who play the game. But don't worry, I sure that NS2 will be entertaining.
  • GaussWaffleGaussWaffle Join Date: 2008-02-22 Member: 63708Members
    admin abuse no-clip skulk shark attack!
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I agree, ns had and has some hilarious moments. Even in the all so serious competitive play hilarious things happen regarding stupid lifeform deaths or comm decisions :D
    I think ns2 will have these moments, too, and thanks to lua there are completely hilarious mods possible.

Prepare for evil alien commanders sending out clouds of glowies to distract the view of marines until they stumble into a pit of doom.
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    Eggs => Omelet when they were done on the edge of textures
  • Pollo JackPollo Jack Join Date: 2007-09-13 Member: 62283Members
    edited July 2009
    Onos death by PG, back in the day when you could get telefraged.

What still happens today is a bilebomb setting off all the mines and killing all the lifeforms in the area.

Actually, one of my funniest events was on marines. I needed a weld, desperately calling for it on mic. One guy says sure, and comes to base. I toss him the welder and someone runs between us right as I do. That jackass ran off with my welder and died to a fade.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715920:date=Jul 6 2009, 09:35 PM:name=Pollo Jack)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pollo Jack @ Jul 6 2009, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, one of my funniest events was on marines. I needed a weld, desperately calling for it on mic. One guy says sure, and comes to base. I toss him the welder and someone runs between us right as I do. That jackass ran off with my welder and died to a fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is quite humourous :)
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    Having a screenful of onos colon is still funny to this day, if a little frustrating.

But then I'm easy to please. I still get a giggle out of mine kills that happen 10 minutes after I laid the mines.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715924:date=Jul 6 2009, 07:43 AM:name=Avata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avata @ Jul 6 2009, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still get a giggle out of mine kills that happen 10 minutes after I laid the mines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ha! That cracks me up every time. It's even better when you're completely out of ammo, totally helpless, and some random hallway mine takes out the skulk and saves the day.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715927:date=Jul 6 2009, 12:59 PM:name=ZeroFate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZeroFate @ Jul 6 2009, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ha! That cracks me up every time. It's even better when you're completely out of ammo, totally helpless, and some random hallway mine takes out the skulk and saves the day.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thumps up!
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715920:date=Jul 6 2009, 12:35 PM:name=Pollo Jack)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pollo Jack @ Jul 6 2009, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos death by PG, back in the day when you could get telefraged.

What still happens today is a bilebomb setting off all the mines and killing all the lifeforms in the area.

Actually, one of my funniest events was on marines. I needed a weld, desperately calling for it on mic. One guy says sure, and comes to base. I toss him the welder and someone runs between us right as I do. That jackass ran off with my welder and died to a fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahaha!!!! thats a good one!!
    Too bad my half lief 1 mods dosent works:( (stuck at establish connection to server) sure do's miss it
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I have an old 1.04 screenshot.

All you see is MS on nancy filled with laser lines and the text: fade f4

Anyone who played then will know why this is funny.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i liked the old fades :)
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    I think the comic appeal comes from the HL1 engine base. I can think of a bunch of HL mods that were hilarious for various reasons. I think the cutthroat violence coupled with unrealistic/comical actions and stuff makes for some pretty funny games.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    Yeah i remember my first day playing ns1 and everything was funny. Like when you first time see onus "WTF ? .... must run !!!!!!!!"

But after 4 or 5 years of playing it daily 1 - 2 it is still funny sometimes. Like gorge rush :D
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    aeroripper, you are so right. NS1 is definitely one of the funniest games I've ever played. Things that happen are hilarious. Knifing a fade, onos, gorge poop (I hope I don't see this in NS2, even though it was just a mod). I do hope that we can make ns2 funny as well.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715903:date=Jul 6 2009, 03:23 AM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Jul 6 2009, 03:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anybody else hoping that NS2 will be as funny as the first? NS is pretty much the only game where I was LOLing a lot because there was so much random stuff that happened. Things like knife/flashlight of peace, gorges being funny, and aliens getting creative with killing the comm to name a few. Other shooters I've played just don't have the comic appeal that NS seems to have. Not sure if this makes sense...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was just thinking the exact same thing... was about to create a similar thread on my findings lol.

After playing on the bad clan server and seeing their new "gorge rush" maze map where marines watch aliens try to do alot of jumping on weird structures... well at some point we got drunk in the retardation and after an hour of stargate xt9 all hell broke loose and we couldn't stop laughing at random ######.

Now i applied my amazing problem solving brain to the question "WHY THE HELL AREN'T WE JUST PLAYING THE GAME AND ENJOYING AND LAUGhING IN STOCK GAMEPLAY... STOCK MAPS".

Answer: NS1 is to hard. (for marines this is true... sorry i don't play aliens so i don't know if same circumstances apply)

Yes that's it... NS1 is so hard and marines die so ###### much that we get tired of even trying... at some point we're just doing stupid ###### in base and laughing at any news of our eminent "win" as revealed by the following mic chatter: "commander we need more CC's".

So like i said... because NS1 is so ###### hard on marines... it contributes to the funky and fun ###### you describe.

SHOTGUN RUSH!!!

now if NS was easy on marines... then their would be NO fun...just tactics, teamwork, and fast paced fighting and winning would keep marines 100% focused (like COD4 essentially)... but luckily some weird new science called game balancing dictates that by dieing all the time (every other second to 1 asian alien fade player)...we are playing "fairly"... and the unexpected byproduct is ###### THIS ROUND... COM GIVE ME MINES SO I CAN GET SOME RANDOM SKULK KILLS AND PISS OFF THE ALIEN TEAM.

So there you have it... unless NS2 is ungodly hard and overly nerfed... fun ###### will never everrr occur on a game to game basis.

Aliens Win.... i blame the com! ... ###### you wolf... <everyone laughs>...someone says "go wolfie" xD
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2009
    Why am I not surprised to see someone who only plays one side complaining about how the game is unbalanced? >.>

/on topic

My personal funniest moment was while playing on marine, and losing big time on... Mineshaft, I think. The game was over, and we were bracing ourselves for the final stand in MS. All hell breaks loose as the aliens start charging in, the room is filled with Onoii, and the server starts playing the funniest song I've ever heard. I don't remember the song name or anything, I wast just laughing my ass off as onii were devouring us, fades dicing us, and of course the gorgies were all over.
    Something about the chaos and the music together just made it the single best moment I've had in NS1. :P
  • TrubodasleikjarinnTrubodasleikjarinn Join Date: 2004-05-28 Member: 28967Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    FocusedWolf : When you haven't played aliens how can you even complain about the balance of NS 1 ? Besides that's not what this post is about, it's about teh funny :)

Ah I've witnessed some funny moments :P I remember playing NS 2.0 as marines, and there was this Onos that had been raping our base a bit but was escaping through a revolving door (I forget the name of the map). I had no ammo left from trying to kill the damn thing and the armory was gone, and the only thing I had left was a welder. So I ran after the Onos and just managed to get inside the revolving dor with him and started welding him. He obviously didn't have much HP left since he died from one weld :D And the fade that was in there with me just... stared at me for a few seconds before killing me.

I also remember a pcw where clanmate of mine was trying to kill this really annoying Lerk who was doing the "bounce up and down a lot with celerity" thing. So he decided to do a jump and landed right on top of the Lerk, wich stopped him dead in his tracks, and managed to kill the lerk... mario bros ftw :)

And there's just to many funny gorge moments to count I think...
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1715907:date=Jul 6 2009, 09:40 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jul 6 2009, 09:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Prepare for evil alien commanders sending out clouds of glowies to distract the view of marines until they stumble into a pit of doom.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Omfg.. Now I want them to be able to send out little fireflies with an orange glow for marines to play with!! XDDD
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    full, 32 person NSArmslab server

ns_nothing

me on comm

Marines clear final hive

Gorge Hideout

Beacon to base

Mass suicide into pit

Recycle IPs

Aliens win
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    probably one of the best moments in ns was when shottie rush met a gorge rush... hilarious
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->probably one of the best moments in ns was when shottie rush met a gorge rush... hilarious<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-IHoPeyqjs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-IHoPeyqjs</a>

lol

I got a heavy party video in my sig. Pretty funny, I think that was the game that got me hooked on NS classic.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    enjoyed watching your comm videos aero
  • MisfireMisfire Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5764Members
    Yeah NS is definitely hilarious with all the things the community has come up with.

I dunno if anyone here from the 1.01-1.04 days remember flashlight tag in the readyroom?
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2009
    Ok i can see that NS2 needs a paintball gun for the marines to use for marking rooms that they were in already... and let marines shoot the shoot out of each other with bright yellow paintballs... just for fun.

While we're at it... i know you all know of people that use bullet impacts to draw or spell out hilarious messages in game... so what if we just had a ###### marker or piece of chalk or paintbrush for using our mouse to do the same grafitti... YES WE NEED ALL THE TOOLS FROM MSPAINT AVAILABLE IN GAME!!!!!!

I mean i can see an entire marine team writing ###### on the CC and the walls... It's sure a lot more fun and dynamic then just having one single solitary "Spray" to express yourself with.

Definitely a good idea here lol. (###### YOU COMMANDER I"M GONNA WORK ON MY PICASO LMAO "draws painting with marine reaching out and touching the finger of a gorge...takes like 20 minutes of gametime to do lol")

HEY THEY HAD MARKERS IN THE DOOM MOVIE THAT GLOW IN THE DARK!!!!! I WANT THAT!!!!