Natural Selection 2 News Update - New web server and upcoming content tools

13»

Comments

• LeaderLeader Join Date: 2004-10-08 Member: 32157Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714005:date=Jun 25 2009, 05:22 PM:name=Daxx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daxx @ Jun 25 2009, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Either a Troll, or mentally deficient.

Not much difference really.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, I wholly disagree, a person can be a genius and still troll. But anyways...

My question for Flayra/Dev Team: Will these tools give us access to all thus-far-completed game materials like models, animations, etc? Hell, just seeing game content that's done? Quite amazing. Seeing a trailer with an onos? Worth pre-ordering NS2. Seeing a skulk in the vent? Arousing. Being able to make m00vies out of loud, moaning onos and small, fast and arousing vent-crawling skulks, priceless.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    okey understood. dont think they will make the big money only with the nstr :=

but in this case again, why not give it for free?
    so some creative ppl could use it and maybe we get again more top maps till the release?!
    its summer time, so some geeks would spend their free time to map a dream outa them.

im talking about tools for maps only. nothing you could make money with, like a chinematic editor, wich could give out full rendered scenes.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714090:date=Jun 26 2009, 05:27 AM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Jun 26 2009, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but in this case again, why not give it for free?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They are giving it for free... later. It needs testing first.

<!--quoteo(post=1714090:date=Jun 26 2009, 05:27 AM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Jun 26 2009, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so some creative ppl could use it and maybe we get again more top maps till the release?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some creative people are getting it, the ones who pre-ordered (Nitpick: Not everyone who pre-ordered is creative). It's not much good giving it to anyone else because making a map without being able to test it will more than likely end up horrible, and if you haven't pre-ordered then you can't test.

Spend 20 seconds thinking about it and it all makes sense.
    <!--quoteo(post=1714093:date=Jun 26 2009, 12:12 PM:name=Emoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Emoo @ Jun 26 2009, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are giving it for free... later. It needs testing first.

Some creative people are getting it, the ones who pre-ordered (Nitpick: Not everyone who pre-ordered is creative). It's not much good giving it to anyone else because making a map without being able to test it will more than likely end up horrible, and if you haven't pre-ordered then you can't test.

Spend 20 seconds thinking about it and it all makes sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    so maybe more ppl would preorder it?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Jesus. I don't understand how people don't get this. Let me make it veeeeery simple for you.

You're <b>not paying</b> extra for the tools.
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714103:date=Jun 26 2009, 07:22 AM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Jun 26 2009, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so maybe more ppl would preorder it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please stop.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The NS2 development tools are free. They come packaged with the game at no extra cost, just like the tools for other games. The people who have pre-ordered will be getting the tools early, just as the people who pre-ordered will be getting the game early.

At no point is there any extra fee involved for the tools, and this is certainly not a ploy to make large pots of money.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714103:date=Jun 26 2009, 08:22 AM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Jun 26 2009, 08:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so maybe more ppl would preorder it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*hissing sound*
    ...small explosion in Superfly's office.

derWalter wins. Fatality...
    But at this stage, there aren't people interested in modding/mapping for NS2 that aren't interested in NS2 itself. So either way they're gonna be buying the game.
    yeah, thats right ;)
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Why would you make a mod for a game you wont ever play?
    I've never played Half-Life/2, but played a multitude of its mods, but then I haven't got a modder's perspective, just a player's. However, students doing those multimedia / game design courses tend to make mods for games they don't play, afaik. Just check moddb - they tend to turn out high quality art and assets, then disappear off the face of the earth.

No, more importantly, where did that question even come from? Why do you bring it up?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    I'm wondering why the "cinematic editor" part links to the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/04/effect_editor_part_1" target="_blank">Effect Editor</a> page? They seem like 2 different tools. Wouldn't the cinematic editor be the tool used to make the teaser video?
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714435:date=Jun 28 2009, 09:38 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 28 2009, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've never played Half-Life/2, but played a multitude of its mods, but then I haven't got a modder's perspective, just a player's. However, students doing those multimedia / game design courses tend to make mods for games they don't play, afaik. Just check moddb - they tend to turn out high quality art and assets, then disappear off the face of the earth.

No, more importantly, where did that question even come from? Why do you bring it up?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think your missing the point, Harimau. You have to buy a game to play mods for it, so even if you don't play it you still have to BUY the game to play your own mod for the game. Can't imagine how Charlie would be able to make NS1 without every trying it himself.

So even though you strictly don't need to play a game to mod it, you have to at least buy it. And the complaint from DerWalter seemed to be that he had to buy the game to get access to the tools, which CoolCookieCooks rightly pointed out as strange.
    naaaaaaaaa, i missunderstoot one very important thing!

its prerelease time! in this case, we are betatesters for them. enthusiasts.
    giving them a credit for finishing a game at the way it should be done.

the nstr for ns1 was prereleased, but it was only a bunch of files
    and not whole programs wich are developed and maintained by them.

so its a very different amount of work to do and its very important
    for the credibility of their work, if they release unfinished
    not betatested and unhandy tools.

im still with the projekt :)
    but im going nuts if someone trys do make too much money ^^

ps.: sry 4 my engl. again :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1714480:date=Jun 28 2009, 08:17 PM:name=Kassinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kassinger @ Jun 28 2009, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think your missing the point, Harimau. You have to buy a game to play mods for it, so even if you don't play it you still have to BUY the game to play your own mod for the game. Can't imagine how Charlie would be able to make NS1 without every trying it himself.

So even though you strictly don't need to play a game to mod it, you have to at least buy it. And the complaint from DerWalter seemed to be that he had to buy the game to get access to the tools, which CoolCookieCooks rightly pointed out as strange.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But then, what you're saying, and what CCC is saying, are completely unrelated.
    CCC is saying (implying) that you wouldn't mod a game that you paid for but won't play. - which is what I contradicted, giving reasons and examples.
    Your argument on the other hand is, though you strictly don't need to play a game to mod it, you have to at least pay for it. This is not an argument, this is a fact. Obvious. I cannot contradict you.
    See? Unrelated.
    In fact, your statement <b>allows for</b> derWalter's situation - he plans to mod the game, without playing it, by paying for it* - which indirectly contradicts CCC's standpoint.
    * I don't actually think this is accurate... but let's say that it is, for argument's sake - it's what we've been arguing over so far, anyway.
  • TrubodasleikjarinnTrubodasleikjarinn Join Date: 2004-05-28 Member: 28967Members, Constellation
    Nice seeing you guys putting out those tools, even if that only applies to the preorder group at first... I just find it amusing how people complain about having to actually pay for stuff like this. It's not like the pre-order was any more expensive than a normal pc-game PLUS it's an extremely small development team compared to most and the work they have done is simply amazing.
  • KeilariaKeilaria Join Date: 2005-02-27 Member: 42639Members, Constellation
    ...In all honesty, I'm surprised that Natural Selection 2 isn't priced along the same lines as SPORE was. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when SPORE came out, didn't it cost somewhere around $80.00 to buy?

As soon as I'm able, I'll pre-order the game. I've loved Natural Selection ever since one of my friends pointed it out to me so many years ago.

If only I was a better coder, I would have volunteered to help. But with my current skill set, I'm fairly sure I'd have just screwed things up for people to have to come through and fix later. >.<;

I can't wait to play the game, and in general help with the feedback. I've been doing what I can to promote the game's release, but not many people who I know off of the internet have ever played Half-Life, Half-Life 2 or any of their variants.

It'll also be interesting to play with the tools and see if I can map anything worthwhile. I've only got very basic map-making skills, though, and none of my previous attempts at making a map have turned out very good. ^^;

It's absolutely awesome, by the way, that the tools are going to be free for the community to use. With the quality of work that was done on NS1, I'm sure that both the game itself and the tools you're providing will be awesome! =)

-Waits for her next paycheck so she can preorder NS2- =3
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715175:date=Jul 2 2009, 10:41 AM:name=Keilaria)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Keilaria @ Jul 2 2009, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715175"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...In all honesty, I'm surprised that Natural Selection 2 isn't priced along the same lines as SPORE was. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when SPORE came out, didn't it cost somewhere around $80.00 to buy?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If more games released via digital download, they'd be cheaper that's fur sure.

SPORE was a boxed release wasn't it?
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715175:date=Jul 2 2009, 01:41 AM:name=Keilaria)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Keilaria @ Jul 2 2009, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715175"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...In all honesty, I'm surprised that Natural Selection 2 isn't priced along the same lines as SPORE was. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when SPORE came out, didn't it cost somewhere around $80.00 to buy?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah it was and i got soooo disapointet when i acturly playede it.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As soon as I'm able, I'll pre-order the game. I've loved Natural Selection ever since one of my friends pointed it out to me so many years ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i was forcede to wait like 4 days before i could pre-ordere it and it was like killing me!! all though alpha isen't releasede yet, but it felt like that i was missing out on a lot of stuff^^
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If only I was a better coder, I would have volunteered to help. But with my current skill set, I'm fairly sure I'd have just screwed things up for people to have to come through and fix later. >.<;<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well at least you have som skills! i have like zero programing capabilities hehe. but i use to make good maps though so thats one of the main reasons that i want to pre ordere ^^ to get the tools so i can starts to pull out my hair when i see how awsom it is ^^
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't wait to play the game, and in general help with the feedback. I've been doing what I can to promote the game's release, but not many people who I know off of the internet have ever played Half-Life, Half-Life 2 or any of their variants.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Welcome to the club:P i can't watch the teasere without starting to look at my steam window to see if its on the list ^^ (placede like 4 ads on clan forums and the most commen reply i got was " it looks nice but what the hell is natural selection"
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's absolutely awesome, by the way, that the tools are going to be free for the community to use. With the quality of work that was done on NS1, I'm sure that both the game itself and the tools you're providing will be awesome! =)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i aggre just think of all the maps!!