MODding questions

MathBRMathBR Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63226Members
<div class="IPBDescription">NS2 Engine</div>Yeah right i just bought NS2 because i am an addicted player =p

But the notice of an possiblity of make a mod of NS2 light up my ideas, i think that a lot of people is having amazing ideas about making MODs in this new engine.
But, as i said before, i am just an player with some ideas. So i wanna know is if there´s a chance to UnknownWorlds make some Doc´s about they new engine for those who never did a game before and want to starting with MOD can read and learn with that material, as i expect, the community with a preview of that DOC will be more prepared when it finaly comes out.
Is there some chance to this happen?
thanks for amazing job in this Unique-Game
Greetings to UW team
Cya in-game ;)

Comments

• DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Read up on LUA coding... as they will support LUA with NS2, based on my experiences with LUA coding in WoW (not as a coder, but as an end-user) then there will be some awesome mods coming out I think.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I'm really against this support for modding. I want 10,000 people playing 1 game, not 100 people playing 100 games.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714937:date=Jun 30 2009, 04:22 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jun 30 2009, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm really against this support for modding. I want 10,000 people playing 1 game, not 100 people playing 100 games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I can see the concern, but it entirely depends on how its implemented.

My ideal would be a very good server/mod browser that defaults everyone's browser view to the official settings and makes a strong distinction between game-changing mods and smaller server admin mods. I.e. if I want to filter custom sounds then I can, if I want to filter custom maps then I can, and if I want to filter custom game modes then I can.

Ideally there would be some way of getting a mod 'approved' by the UWE guys, so that exciting game modes that don't massively change the mechanics of the game can be listed in some sort of official capacity. A kind of poop filter. E.g. "Filter for 'endorsed' mods."
  • DethGauntDethGaunt Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16938Members
    Well despite all the pitiful mods that will come out, atleast theres the guarantee a decent competitive mod can be made if UWE make it too pubnub focussed :)

In regards to Lua, it is a totally awesome language, and v.easy to get to grips with if you've ever delved into any other languages such as C/C++.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I really don't think they should waste their time on this, at least not for the alpha/beta/ maybe even initial release. The community can likely do a more complete job of this, and let the developers actually focus on writing the game.
  • Blue21Blue21 Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67970Members
    I don't think the developers will be creating any mods for the game, LUA scripting is just part of how the game works.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    It's a new engine and mod-ability has clearly been set out to be a feature to be included. How can you tell? Cross-platform simple purpose built tools.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    If it werent for MODs, NS probably wouldn't exist. Its only right that the team want to make their game very MODable.
    And doing it from the ground up (pre-alpha to release) is essential to making it work right.
  • MathBRMathBR Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63226Members
    I think that ns2 without the possibility of creating MODS for it, is against the idea of the devel team, after all, the NS1 is a MOD.
    I do not think they should focus only on writing the game, because they are launching a fantastic engine and of course it could be comercial in a near future.
    So, Reading about this new engine, i understand that LUA will complement the game but did not write a completely MOD
    Cya in-game ;)
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1714972:date=Jun 30 2009, 05:07 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Jun 30 2009, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it werent for MODs, NS probably wouldn't exist. Its only right that the team want to make their game very MODable.
    And doing it from the ground up (pre-alpha to release) is essential to making it work right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But since we can't run servers in alpha/beta it's very pointless for it to support mods.
    Would you rather they release a game that has been tested with the modding infastructure already in place or have them develop the infrastruture after they have alpha/beta tested everything resulting in possible bugs/crashes due to untested code?
  • MathBRMathBR Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63226Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715114:date=Jul 1 2009, 03:35 PM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Jul 1 2009, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But since we can't run servers in alpha/beta it's very pointless for it to support mods.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read the discussion, DOCUMENTATION is diferent that a MOD !!!
    Whe don´t need a server running, or even the code files, to starting the READING of the DOCUMENTATION, and as i said before, that PREVIEW of DOCUMENTATION about that new engine only will PREPARE the players like me (who never did a 3D game before), helping to start coding WHEN it FINALY COMES OUT.

Nobody here is thinking about the realize of the Engine/MOD´s before the game itself.
    Also just to clarify my position on modding, I don't believe in game play altering modifications. I'm not 100% sure how to explain this, but for example. Lets say a community doesn't believe that the game is balanced enough so they add an extra weapon or change the damage of weapons. I don't really like this kind of modification. Now if you want to completely change the game play and make it a new game. Such an example might be zombies in counter-strike thats okay by me because it a different game, your not trying to "fix" the game from what you think the developers did wrong.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715122:date=Jul 1 2009, 07:28 PM:name=Blue21)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue21 @ Jul 1 2009, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also just to clarify my position on modding, I don't believe in game play altering modifications. I'm not 100% sure how to explain this, but for example. Lets say a community doesn't believe that the game is balanced enough so they add an extra weapon or change the damage of weapons. I don't really like this kind of modification. Now if you want to completely change the game play and make it a new game. Such an example might be zombies in counter-strike thats okay by me because it a different game, your not trying to "fix" the game from what you think the developers did wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->But if a 'fixed' version of the game becomes massively popular it could show the devs where the problem lies much faster and more confidently than a playtest.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    If someone develops a pretty good gameplay quirk or even with custom maps manages to combine that with some LUA to make a new gameplay mode, it'd be pretty cool and possibly adopted by the team.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715117:date=Jul 1 2009, 01:49 PM:name=MathBR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MathBR @ Jul 1 2009, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Read the discussion, DOCUMENTATION is diferent that a MOD !!!
    Whe don´t need a server running, or even the code files, to starting the READING of the DOCUMENTATION, and as i said before, that PREVIEW of DOCUMENTATION about that new engine only will PREPARE the players like me (who never did a 3D game before), helping to start coding WHEN it FINALY COMES OUT.

Nobody here is thinking about the realize of the Engine/MOD´s before the game itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Documentation doesn't do a whole lot for you. Go read all the opengl docs then tell me if you can write a 3d engine on your first try. I'm guessing not. The documentation doesn't help a whole lot without the ability to actually test code.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I've been fleshing out in my head a Capture the Gorge mod.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715207:date=Jul 2 2009, 02:13 PM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Jul 2 2009, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Documentation doesn't do a whole lot for you. Go read all the opengl docs then tell me if you can write a 3d engine on your first try. I'm guessing not. The documentation doesn't help a whole lot without the ability to actually test code.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think that's what is implied.

Without reading documentation you'll do a lot worse than reading documentation.

Example, have you ever worked with Wikipedia's new API system they have available?
    If not, I dare you to write code that harnesses that API and it's various features. You won't get far without having some idea of what to do.

No Documentation = Harder to code.
    Documentation = <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->helping to start coding WHEN it FINALY COMES OUT.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It will give end-users and idea of what to expect and what sort of things they should be looking for / preparing / doing.

Assume you've never ever EVER looked at LUA coding before and the only coding you've ever done was some C++ and maybe a bit of Perl dabling.

Go code in LUA without reading the documentation... can you do it? No, you need to understand basic structure / layout / commands etc. of a given language to do that you need documentation (or examples of existing code perhaps?) either way, you can't do something without knowing the basics behind it first. IE: How an API is implemented (or intends to be) so you can plan for that in your design of your own code.
    Basically what he's trying to say is, documentation != tutorial.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715114:date=Jul 2 2009, 03:35 AM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Jul 2 2009, 03:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But since we can't run servers in alpha/beta it's very pointless for it to support mods.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just noticed this comment... linux servers are hopefully going to be available by Beta... so I would say we would be able to run them, else how can server hostees test bugs, and mod makers test mods ?
    well, according to one of the twitters or interviews, we won't be hosting our own servers during beta INITIALLY, which means that later in the beta phase we will be hosting our own servers.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715227:date=Jul 2 2009, 03:50 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 2 2009, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Example, have you ever worked with Wikipedia's new API system they have available?
    If not, I dare you to write code that harnesses that API and it's various features. You won't get far without having some idea of what to do.

No Documentation = Harder to code.
    Documentation =
    It will give end-users and idea of what to expect and what sort of things they should be looking for / preparing / doing.

Assume you've never ever EVER looked at LUA coding before and the only coding you've ever done was some C++ and maybe a bit of Perl dabling.

Go code in LUA without reading the documentation... can you do it? No, you need to understand basic structure / layout / commands etc. of a given language to do that you need documentation (or examples of existing code perhaps?) either way, you can't do something without knowing the basics behind it first. IE: How an API is implemented (or intends to be) so you can plan for that in your design of your own code.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I have the source code that would be used to produce the documentation, then I can easily do this without the docs. I learned lua by bashing my head against the interpreter until I figured out the valid syntax
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714937:date=Jun 30 2009, 04:22 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jun 30 2009, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm really against this support for modding. I want 10,000 people playing 1 game, not 100 people playing 100 games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

100% agree
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Any idea if person with no previous mapping/coding experience will be able to toy around with those upcoming mappingtools and other gadgets? Ive never done any mapping or coding in any language, but i cant wait to do something with NS2 so atleast messing around making maps would be something.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715857:date=Jul 6 2009, 07:54 AM:name=Onozki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onozki @ Jul 6 2009, 07:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any idea if person with no previous mapping/coding experience will be able to toy around with those upcoming mappingtools and other gadgets? Ive never done any mapping or coding in any language, but i cant wait to do something with NS2 so atleast messing around making maps would be something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Did you pre-order SE? Then yes... otherwise you'll have to wait a LITTLE bit longer before you get access to them.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715857:date=Jul 5 2009, 10:54 PM:name=Onozki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onozki @ Jul 5 2009, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any idea if person with no previous mapping/coding experience will be able to toy around with those upcoming mappingtools and other gadgets? Ive never done any mapping or coding in any language, but i cant wait to do something with NS2 so atleast messing around making maps would be something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS1 was hard and tricky lot's of stuff to learn not only how to make them but how they are rendered in ns1. But ns2 will be peace of cake :)