Windows 7 and OpenGL?

ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Help</div>Hey recently I got a new i7 machine and upgraded from XP to Windows 7 to utilize my machine properly.

On changing I've had some issues with my ingame NS:

I have to use gammaramp 0 and this is EXTREMELY dark. It's horrible to play. When using a gammaramp program to boost the gamma so I can see things, the colour quality is terrible compared to what it was on my XP and things aren't as crisp.

The second problem is my crosshair is very blurred. On XP you can distinctively see a "+" crosshair (very small), but on windows 7, the crosshair appears more like a dot.

Anyone know what drivers I can use or anyone can give any help?

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Gamma ramp: you are SOL. Just fiddle with gama/brightness in game.

The xhair thing I really don't know...

What resolution are you playing at? I seem to remember something about NS not having good sprites for wide screen...
  • ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
    No... even when putting all my gamma commands on full ingame... it still is really dark :\
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715009:date=Jun 30 2009, 08:33 PM:name=Zamma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zamma @ Jun 30 2009, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No... even when putting all my gamma commands on full ingame... it still is really dark :\<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yah, that is basically normal. There is no way around it.
    On XP there was.

a) It wasn't that dark ingame even when my gamma settings were lowish
    b) I could tweak my desktop gamma/brightness on my graphics card tab and it would take effect in game
  • DarkFrostDarkFrost Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    After asking around a bit, the only information I can find on this is that on windows 7 with a nvidia 9800, the games brightness is a little lower than normal. Which is on the latest nvidia driver.

It could be that steam requires an update, a problem with drivers, or it could be a problem with windows itself.

With the OS almost at release date, I don't know if microsoft would fix, or care to fix a problem with a half-life mod, perhaps if it is a problem with the entire half-life line (?) they would look into it.

I assume there is a bug reporting forum, for both your video cards drivers, and windows 7. Both of which you should definately utilise.

Is it possible to install windows 7 on your other system, to see if it displays the same darkness?
  • ckreonckreon Join Date: 2009-06-30 Member: 67977Members
    edited July 2009
    I have this same issue - although I didn't notice it getting super dark when turning gammaramp to 0.

There was a definite change, and stuff looks a little more washed out - but its still very playable.

I think this is just the effect of an old engine showing its age with newer cards (they can't always support things forever). I heard it had something to do with DirectX - and if so, its just a matter of living with it, or installing legacy versions (which are around).

I guess it really depends on how much your NS gameplay means to you.

Personally, I can live with it, and wait for NS2 to solve my woes :)

*EDIT* - I should add, I'm using Windows 7 RC1, and an ATI 4870
    Yeah dude, well I'm fine playing tf2 till NS2 comes out. But I do enjoy NS and my old clanmates play it so I have a large incentive. It's just annoying to be underperforming because everything is dark and the colours are warped...
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    i noticed this as well after setting gammaramp 0 but i fixed it by setting lightgamma 0 and gamma 3 ish then upping my brightness a bit.