Learning to play NS2

StreptoStrepto Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33571Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Could we make it easy and fun for new players to learn to play?</div>Natural Selection 2 will most likely be rough around the edges during the alpha and beta, and features that would help new players get into the game fast will probably be added late. To me that means that we, as a community, have alot of time to think about ways we can bring new players into the game, without overwhelming them with information.

I think that an in-game tutorial or training level would a straight forward way for players to get to know the game well enough to play online.

The ways I see this could work is as follows:

1. A boot camp style orientation map
2. A simulated training excercise (i.e. holographic or something)
3. A scripted mission with aliens and everything

A tutorial or training mission could also be done for people who want to try commanding, alien or marine.

Seeing how we'll relatively soon will have our hands on the tools for NS2, I think it would be good to start a debate about what you would like to see in the game in forms of tutorials/training. And with a little luck there might be some talented people who would like to work on it.

Comments

• linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    I think this is a great idea.
    I think that something like the tutorial found in "The Hidden" mod for HL2 would be very good for this game.
  • efektzefektz Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23665Members, Constellation
    It would be nice to have bots when I don't have internet.

Would be good practice too.
  • JerkstoreJerkstore Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67880Members
    edited June 2009
    I think anyone playing the alpha and beta will not need their hand held, even though a lot of people expect too much from beta builds.

But it definitely would be cool to see a tutorial of some sort later on after the game goes gold. Games like Quake 3 CPMA were very difficult for beginners because the advanced tactics like bunnyhopping and map control couldn't easily be summed up in a tutorial. NS2 will probably have many tactics that can only be learned through experience as well, but a tutorial at the least would prevent newbies from aimlessly wandering and being unsure of what exactly they're supposed to do.
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714239:date=Jun 26 2009, 07:54 PM:name=Jerkstore)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jerkstore @ Jun 26 2009, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think anyone playing the alpha and beta will not need their hand held, even though a lot of people expect too much from beta builds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, I pre-ordered the game and I've only played NS1 a couple of times to get the "feeling" of it.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a great game and I was very impressed, but I got a bit confused about what I needed to do which sort of prevented me from playing the game again.

Im not saying that the beta/alpha should have this, but the final release should include some kind of tutorial if they don't want others to go through the same thing that Im going through right now with the first game.

I mutated into one of those flying things and got kicked! It seems i was wasting resources or something.. :(
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    Anything that helps with easing new players into the game is an excellent move. When I decided to start playing NS again a couple of weeks ago (I'd last played it in 2004), I told my various Steam friends about it and most of them, upon hearing about the game, were madly keen to check it out. They downloaded, installed, and joined me in game. None of them are playing anymore. Why? One of them summed it up perfectly: "When I'm a marine I feel like I die to everything without accomplishing anything and it's the same when I'm an alien." These aren't inexperienced people; they play plenty of FPS and RTS games, including TF2, CS:S, RA3, War3, Starcraft etc. The problem is that NS's learning curve IS quite steep and brutal; if you don't know what you're doing games are not enjoyable.

Many, if not most, of the new players who will be joining our ranks in NS2 will have played TF2, a game which you can jump into and kill stuff with virtually no FPS experience. That is going to influence their opinion regarding NS2. Am I saying we should "dumb down" NS2 so that the most clueless noob can own faces in it? No. The game should be in depth. But it shouldn't be as harsh to newcomers as NS1 is, and if it is, much work should go into producing a tutorial or "boot camp" where players can pick up as much of the game as possible before being thrust onto the online stage.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    An ingame guide like in Left 4 Dead should be enough
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Well, we've got a few likely demographics which would need to learn different things.
    1) people that played NS. they'll have a fair idea how to play already. a large proportion of players will be this, obviously.
    2) people that play FPS. these are probably the ones you'll have to teach to play the RTS side, and the alien side. but they'll already have a good grip on the shooter side of things. possibly a larger proportion of players will be this.
    3) everyone else. apart from say, people that play other action games and RTSs, this'll be rather negligible, imo. but it depends on the peak popularity, i guess - how many 'fresh' players there are. it would be good to help these players out too.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    what would be nice is an in game tip system like left 4 dead and a mini tutorial like the one from hidden.

If it were a mini tutorial it can provide a backstory or something similar, such as aliens have infested the area, you are a marine whos trying to get out, small obstacles are infront of you such as jump the thing.

But realistically it would be probably better for a bootcamp for marines, shoot the targets, jump the pipes, crouch the pipes and whatnot

and for aliens you could be in a infested hive area, and the hivemind tasks you with things, such as morph into gorge and make resource tower,and evolve celerity so you can do a leap across the gap and so forth, even practice on munching some scientists? :P
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Creating a good set of Tooltips like in NS1 should work fine. Maybe adding in a 'Tips' paragraph onto the loading screen would help new players too. I find that I learn all those small extra bits about a game whilst reading through those while waiting to get into a server/game.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Honestly, the thing that made me most aware of how to play NS1 was watching the 1.04 EU vs NA exhibition match demos with commentary by Flayra. Looking back, the explanations weren't the most accurate... but it really did help a lot to understand the decisions the best players made. Without that kind of explanation I personally find it difficult to get my head around the strategy of a game and all the meta-components, which I guess is why shoutcasting is so popular.

That and the fact that the guy who made the mod was basically endorsing this really made me want to know how to play properly and it got me into competitive play when previously I was the clueless guy who ran in straight lines at marines and was the second gorge on the team who everyone shouted at.

I think a lot of people who still play now could do with some kind of strategy-education so this is probably a bit more advanced than "Resource towers make resources." which could easily be done through in-game HUD popups like L4D or TF2.. or the original NS, even.
  • PeperorosPeperoros Join Date: 2008-06-16 Member: 64458Members
    I agree with MuYeah. A simple tutorial like in NS1 and L4D is the best, as NS veterans can always make a tutorial themselves and share their knowledge, tips and tricks.

I played NS years ago, but recently installed it again since I preordered NS2. It took me maybe 2hours total to get back into the game, asking friends, chat, settings. And I had almost forgotten everything, so new players won't feel that this game is too alien(pun intended).

BUT, if the dev team have time and will for an ingame bootcamp, go ahead, they are always fun. Perhaps it could be made like a little storymode, take the teaser as an example. Marine boards a ship, needs to head over to the controlroom, and on his way there he learns the controls, faces enemies, friendly/enemy buildings, you get the idea.
  • [WHO]Mr.Black[WHO]Mr.Black Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67841Members
    edited June 2009
    I agree this sort of thing would be very helpful for easing players into the game, but I don't think it's the sort of thing the devs need to worry about for the alpha or the beta. It also sounds like just the kind of thing they had in mind when then told us they'd be releasing the tools so we could build content for the game. My feeling is if some industrious modder out there created some tutorial levels, it would be swiftly added as an official download to ease new players into the universe. Just my opinion though.
  • BurgerBurger Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30072Members
    Well if the devs don't make a map like this for official release, I'm sure I can whip up something (at least for marine side). I'm sure alien side wouldn't be too hard to make a training map as well.

The idea is to maybe avoid combat with hostile aliens, but still get an idea of what they are

Idea for marine side:
    - You get "wakes up" in a semi built marine start and a commander (the tutorial narrator) tells him some story about aliens taking over ship, need to take back the ship, blah blah, you get the idea
    - You find out you were in a fight or something, lost memory, and his crew (1 or 2 marines + commander) has to teach him what to do again
    - They teach him how to build and "use" and armory to get his hp back up (since he is still hurt from his fight)
    - They are ordered to go out and start repairing the ship; RTs are explained at this point and possibly those power grid things
    - Something dramatic happens. Maybe you go through a door and the bulkhead closes from infestation taking over the power, separating you from the rest of the squad. You need to get back
    - It's dark, you learn to use your flashlight via commander talking in headset.
    - You find out your in the infected side of the ship, and its a bit messed up. You learn how to jump and crouch to navigate obstacles.
    - You wander around, and fight a gorge maybe that is building some chamber, commander explains gorge and chambers
    - You walk through a vent infested area and skulks scurry across them (along with steam and flashing lights! scary!) commander explains
    - You hear walk pass a room and it begins filling with lerk gas. Commander closes the bulkhead and explains lerks and why they are the most annoying things ever
    - You go into a room and a fade or something blinks past, maybe hits you for good measure, and blinks away. Commander explains fade and drops you healthpack and ammo, explaining those as well
    - You activate a power thing and opens up a supply type thing in the wall. Player picks up HMG and HA (or JP, whatever)
    - You walk and go to a hallway that runs through a large room. Hallway has glass on both sides and upon looking out, you see a hive along, gorges running around, and a single egg.
    - Commander explains hive and at end of explanation, onos emerges from egg. He spots you and charges the window, perhaps cracking it. (don't know the limitations of onos yet).
    - Commander doesn't explain onos and tells you to get out of the hallway. You run around and possibly have an onos chase you (via glimpses of him behind a door before commander closes bulkhead). You finally get back to marine start and some other things could be explained (hive needs to be taken down to "win", etc).

This way the player learns basic FPS controls, structures and various marine pickups, aliens and their stuff, and get an idea of the atmosphere of the game. I figure a commander explanation (and catching a glimpse) is all you need for the aliens, except the onos, which seeing and having him chase you around gives you an idea plus gives you a feeling of the "oh ****" moments in the game.

Any feedback would be very appreciative.
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714959:date=Jul 1 2009, 02:57 AM:name=Burger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Burger @ Jul 1 2009, 02:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well if the devs don't make a map like this for official release, I'm sure I can whip up something (at least for marine side). I'm sure alien side wouldn't be too hard to make a training map as well.

The idea is to maybe avoid combat with hostile aliens, but still get an idea of what they are

Idea for marine side:
    - You get "wakes up" in a semi built marine start and a commander (the tutorial narrator) tells him some story about aliens taking over ship, need to take back the ship, blah blah, you get the idea
    - You find out you were in a fight or something, lost memory, and his crew (1 or 2 marines + commander) has to teach him what to do again
    - They teach him how to build and "use" and armory to get his hp back up (since he is still hurt from his fight)
    - They are ordered to go out and start repairing the ship; RTs are explained at this point and possibly those power grid things
    - Something dramatic happens. Maybe you go through a door and the bulkhead closes from infestation taking over the power, separating you from the rest of the squad. You need to get back
    - It's dark, you learn to use your flashlight via commander talking in headset.
    - You find out your in the infected side of the ship, and its a bit messed up. You learn how to jump and crouch to navigate obstacles.
    - You wander around, and fight a gorge maybe that is building some chamber, commander explains gorge and chambers
    - You walk through a vent infested area and skulks scurry across them (along with steam and flashing lights! scary!) commander explains
    - You hear walk pass a room and it begins filling with lerk gas. Commander closes the bulkhead and explains lerks and why they are the most annoying things ever
    - You go into a room and a fade or something blinks past, maybe hits you for good measure, and blinks away. Commander explains fade and drops you healthpack and ammo, explaining those as well
    - You activate a power thing and opens up a supply type thing in the wall. Player picks up HMG and HA (or JP, whatever)
    - You walk and go to a hallway that runs through a large room. Hallway has glass on both sides and upon looking out, you see a hive along, gorges running around, and a single egg.
    - Commander explains hive and at end of explanation, onos emerges from egg. He spots you and charges the window, perhaps cracking it. (don't know the limitations of onos yet).
    - Commander doesn't explain onos and tells you to get out of the hallway. You run around and possibly have an onos chase you (via glimpses of him behind a door before commander closes bulkhead). You finally get back to marine start and some other things could be explained (hive needs to be taken down to "win", etc).

This way the player learns basic FPS controls, structures and various marine pickups, aliens and their stuff, and get an idea of the atmosphere of the game. I figure a commander explanation (and catching a glimpse) is all you need for the aliens, except the onos, which seeing and having him chase you around gives you an idea plus gives you a feeling of the "oh ****" moments in the game.

Any feedback would be very appreciative.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

An alien side of the tutorial would be even better. Say we end the marine tutorial at where the you see the hive and before the commander explains the hive.

- Screen goes black and the player wakes up as a skulk.
    - The hive itself or a virtual alien commander explains the hive.
    - You go through an obstacle course where you learn about the alien lifeforms.
    - At the end you reach the bottom of a vertical tunnel with only a ladder and a onos stuck there because it can't climb the ladder.
    - The marine you've been using is alone above but out of ammo after using everything on the onos. This tutorial then ends with you fighting and killing a knife-wielding marine bot.

Also, instead of having a voice explaining everything, use the L4D style of having labels and arrows pointing at the objects and telling the player what to do with them. At the base/hive, everything would be labelled and a short text explaining functions.

At the hive I imagine there would be inactive models of all the lifeforms with short explanations of what they do. This can also be explained by saying that they are guarding/camping the hive. The same can also be done with Jetpackers and Heavy Armour-wearing marines. I'm assuming these will be in NS2 here but they can be changed according to what is really available.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I think that your tutorial idea is great, except that you mix the marines up with aliens too much. If you are in a marine perspective, learn everything marine. Dont need to introduce aliens in the fray. Then when u are aliens, learn everything alien, no need to introduce marines into the fray.