Increase alien HP

asdhasdh Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67874Members
edited June 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">for balanced make fine improve alien HP Skulks</div>Question base alien SKULK sucks and unbalanced vs 1rine with lmg SOLO
skulks = have Block autoblock slow movement low HP and with arrive melee need 3 Bites for kill.
rine = happy man shoot jump medspam 200 HP rine yeah Bull###### , knive are effective melee.
90 % times 1 rine kill 3 skulks are cheap easy with aim weapons dont have recoil , only have a few dispersion LMG pistol is 100% accurate xD patetic.
question is balance skulks for have same posibilities to attack 3rines and kill , same 1 rine kill 3 skulks. need more HP to get FRONTAL attacks to get rime arrive others back .

have 2 solutions increase HP skulks 85-+ and armor 20-+
or increase alien SPAM and SPAM protection hives are easyly get spamkill .
remember rines have mines sentrys electification .
ideas opinions post it plz =D

Comments

• WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    The balance is that skulks can walk on any surface.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->skulk
    –verb (used without object)
    1.to lie or keep in hiding, as for some evil reason: The thief skulked in the shadows.
    2.to move in a stealthy manner; slink: The panther skulked through the bush.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So yes, if your silly enough to try to take on a 'rine head-on, then you need to reevaluate your tactics.

The way it is in NS1 is fine.
  • M00_cowM00_cow Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60180Members, Constellation
    I have to mostly agree with White here. While a small increase to skulk hp would in the most case get you more kills, i think that would heavily swing the game round. Imagine a skulk rush at the beginning of the game. It would be helplessly op.

And yes. Skulks do it from behind.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714434:date=Jun 27 2009, 10:30 PM:name=M00_cow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M00_cow @ Jun 27 2009, 10:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to mostly agree with White here. While a small increase to skulk hp would in the most case get you more kills, i think that would heavily swing the game round. Imagine a skulk rush at the beginning of the game. It would be helplessly op. And yes. Skulks do it from behind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, I don't think the Skulk was ever meant to be equal to the marines. They are inferior that is the way that it is meant to be.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    So a marine+medspam > skulk

Don't see anything wrong with that... spamming meds costs rest. And if a skulk manages to bite a marine that gets medspammed a few times it will still end up as a win for the aliens anyway.
    The marine team gained like 3 res for the skulk kill (best case) but at the same time the commander spent like 6 res to keep the marine alive, so overall the whole thing cost the marine team 3 res while the alien team didn't lose a single res.

I might go a little bit offtopic here but another idea i had could fit in here niceley:

How about the alien players don't control a single skulk but rather they would control a small "skulk squad", of course the HP would be lowered for each individual skulk but the overall gameplay would feel more like starcraft where the aliens overwhelm the marines team with superior numbers without actually requiring more players on their team. Think starcarft: humans vs zeg

So the actual skulk model in the game wouldn't be just a single skulk but rather 3 of them (example number) and the alien player controls all 3 of them at the same time.

This way the marines would feel like they would play against a superior number of enemies compared to their own team. Yes it would require lots of balancing and strange game mechanics to make that work but right now i'm too drunk to go into details about that :D
  • cerberus414cerberus414 Join Date: 2005-05-07 Member: 51098Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Like someone mentioned before, skulk was not meant to be a "charge at the marine" unit. I guess a lot of people still don't understand that (lack of patience maybe?) and still rush marines from the front, causing the 3:1 kill ratio for the marines. Skulks are all about ambushing and scouting (para: which btw brings the bite-to-kill count to 2 from 3 at game start). Even the best players might not be able to kill you if you close the distance between yourself and the marine (such as when he is around the corner and you jump out).
  • craecrae Join Date: 2005-01-30 Member: 39035Members
    Here's what I think:

1 hive: 10,70 (Armor,Health - without carapace)
    2 hive: 20,80
    3 hive: 30,90

Here's why I think it:

- When the marines are attacking a hive, skulks pretty much have no choice but to go head on.
    - All the marines are doing at this point are camping.
    - Marines with full level 3 upgrades and multiple HMG's are just too powerful for most skulks to stand a chance (5 bites?!?).
    - A little more HP at this stage would go a long way for skulks without swinging the balance.
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    edited June 2009
    The most ridiculous thing in NS1, in my opinion, <b>is the fact that ANY MARINE can build a structure, while aliens NEED TO SPEND 10 RES to evolve into a Gorge and then spend another damn 15 RES to build a Resource Tower</b>. I mean, 10 res is something that takes some time if the Aliens dont have most of Res Nodes of map. The worst part is when Marines destroy the Resource Tower that you built 2 minutes ago and then kill you (Gorge) while ur trying to flee. Then u notice that <b>you need another 25 res just to build 1 damn Resource Tower</b>.

My opinion? <b>THE GAME SHOULD REQUIRE 0 (ZERO) RES TO EVOLVE A SKULK INTO A GORGE, because it's just unfair that when 3 skulks destroy a Marine Resource Tower, 1 marine comes back and builds another one so quickly.</b>

I don't know if u guys have noticed that too, but 90% of games the Marines win, and 90% of games the map is <b>quickly filled with Marines Resource Towers</b>.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    Isn't this the forum for NS2?
  • VmanVman Join Date: 2007-09-11 Member: 62251Members
    I like that idea. Though maybe slightly up the strength of aliens by enough to take down a respective marine.

2 hive = level 2 Alien attack = Marines level 2 defense... which equils a 3 bite kill as long as the hive count is = to the marine upgrade level.

Just tossing a Idea out.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    doesnt every hive created increase the effectiveness of alien armor? and i would actually have preffered it to be only 1-5 res to become a gorge
  • Mr_CharismaMr_Charisma Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12748Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1714456:date=Jun 28 2009, 04:40 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jun 28 2009, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know if u guys have noticed that too, but 90% of games the Marines win, and 90% of games the map is <b>quickly filled with Marines Resource Towers</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Stop playing on 32 player servers.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    sigh,

this isnt even worth discussing until the game alpha/beta stage comes out
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    <sarcasm type="thick">I've got a complaint about a game that hasn't even been released yet! Yeah.. those marines.. way too powerful..</sarcasm>

Lets wait until natural selection 2 is released before we start convincing ourselves that it will be unbalanced. After that, at least you can pretend you have a leg to stand on.

If you have a complaint about natural selection, firstly, wrong forum. Try <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showforum=5" target="_blank">here</a>.

And with regards to your complaint, I've got to completely disagree. Skulks play exceptionally well (arguably better overall than marines). The point is how to play with one. If I were attempting to kill marines with the mindset that charging down a long hallway is a smart strategy, I think I'd be frustrated playing skulk as well. There are tricks and tactics which make playing skulk far more effective, but these skills don't come from fast reflexes but from simply playing long enough to know what works. Any skulk player who can charge down a hall making a leap + bite attack and taking down a marine among several probably got that way because they had *way* too much time on their hands. Most veteran players play well as skulk because they attack from behind, ambush often, and generally attack only when they stand a decent chance of taking down their target.
  • AlaskaAlaska Join Date: 2006-10-11 Member: 58067Members
    OPs name was "asdh".
    Simply ignore such trolling -.-
    perhaps recommend some spell-checking-tool >.<
  • asdhasdh Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67874Members
    edited June 2009
    good post davidcalvante .
    me read all answers ,
    me make example
    for all understand me start play 1 beta NS , me before play CS DOD QUAKE in Freak Level , me first time ns kill ratio rine1/10 and no have any idea this game first time to play , and decide no play any time alien because bored unbalanced totally NERF , but compare team play (you rine shoot your friends shoots and help you with BULL###### shoot same target ) you alien your friends try to help you = yeah you get disturb or BLOCK .
    me vote increase alien HP or increase complexity or map for HIDDING maps at NS1 CRAP simply no space for hide , person play a lot of NS understand me FTW .

and yeah Mr_charisma 32vs32 Rine only need 2RT hive zone defend and JP HA HMG + legal whallhack but totally raped all alien tactics more servers at this partys decide give 100 res all aliens repeat times for more ONOS rush FTW BALANCED
    close games = 90% rines won me dont fai, at this question .

hawkeye you say balanced skulks , me dont need response you . you need play a lot and observe diferrence of effectivity rine > alien in pcw and publics and y take decision me have an opinion you have other is simply , me undestand you and say NOT balanced NS CS balanced DOD not NS play alien = same play CS TError all time in aztec or dust COMPLETE disavantage .
    and me dont blame any me use mi experience and opinion for use ns1 experience to improve ns2 FTW is mi fauvirite game <.<" .

crae not bad idea too .

have admins here =? alaska blame and insult me ban ? advise ? or me response troll you lame ? example
    <.<"
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
  • efektzefektz Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23665Members, Constellation
    I'm sure theres a plugin we can use to manipulate HP.

The ratio from NS1 was balanced.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    The game is perfectly balanced.

Hell a 75 minute comp round yesterday proves this even more..
  • MimmitarMimmitar Join Date: 2007-09-04 Member: 62163Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714479:date=Jun 28 2009, 01:00 PM:name=asdh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asdh @ Jun 28 2009, 01:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Me me me me me<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me vote you use my instead ;)
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    Skulks already get upgraded when hives up go up in the form of additional abilities and upgrades. It's just that 95% of people currently playing this game have learning disabilities such that the only thing they're capable of doing is running in a straight line across open space towards marines by themselves (the more advanced players quickly learn to bunnyhop across open space towards marines by themselves, which usually works only a little better. Rarely do skulks actually wait for backup these days)
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Backup? What's backup???

I personally prefer darting out and in a few times from cover to draw attention. Esp if I know there's a small grove in the roof / floor I can get into to go past/get behind/closer to them to chomp 'em.

That and jumping up onto a wall then off again works (often they keep travelling upwards with gunfire thinking you're going to the roof).

Not hard to take down a Marine in HA and upgraded HMG even as a lowly skulk if you have any skill :)
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    what i have observed so far:

lets assume both teams are equally skilled.
    both teams play bad -> aliens more likely win

but the more the niveau raises, the more will marines win.

A good marine team will always gain map control the first 3 minutes of the game.
    its impossible to kill the "perfect marine" who hits you with every bullet. just use pistol,
    make 4 shots its even faster than "para + 2 bites" so you can even win in close combat.

but, ns2 isnt out yet and discussions about balancing isnt relevant at the moment :D
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Troll or not... Maybe we can make good use of this tread.

Duh! Skulks are weaker than rines but...

*generally spawn more often (1 Hive = 3 Infantry portals and you rarely see more than two portals especially before the 2nd hive is up)
    *are much faster
    *can parasite marines and setup easy ambushes

Yay! For asymetry in NS!

However I do find it (a bit) annoying to have to re-evolve all my traits upon each spawn. Hope NS2 improves on that. I think one should be able to bring up the evolution menu at any time (even when dead) and make the choices so that you may spawn ready with all the upgrades you want if they are available. I can't too be specific since I don't know how the alien evolutions are going to work in NS2.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2009
    One of the Major Flaws of Alienrespawning is that you have to spend extratime in the Hiveroom or somewhere else evolving.
    Maybe we could have a base-spawntime for a Skulk, but you can stay longer in the Queue for a Spawn as, let's say, a Lerk or Gorge.
    Fade 'n' Onos are to strong for this Feature. Maybe as Hive 3 Option?

(by the Time Hive 3 is up there should be already a Heavytrain rolling somewhere through the Map)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714647:date=Jun 29 2009, 08:11 AM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Jun 29 2009, 08:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However I do find it (a bit) annoying to have to re-evolve all my traits upon each spawn. Hope NS2 improves on that. I think one should be able to bring up the evolution menu at any time (even when dead) and make the choices so that you may spawn ready with all the upgrades you want if they are available. I can't too be specific since I don't know how the alien evolutions are going to work in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the evolution time was quite good way to balance out the free upgrades when they implemented them in 3.0 Final. Hopefully they find some other workaround for NS2 though.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Prefix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prefix)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game is perfectly balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've got a million little things to nag about in the game, but servers below 24 players are well balanced in terms of winning indeed.
  • asdhasdh Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67874Members
    #23 yeah fine
    skulks dont have recources for kill aim rine
    remember NO recoil is considerate cheats in CS , simply
    no recoil = easy cheap
    get aim is easy
    get HArdcore bunnyjump not easy
    need balanced at start all alien = skulk
    3 min = rine overkill is easy and spamwkill too rines have 200 HP with meds FTW average 150 omg
    wen lerks UP a semiclose map rines have SGs FTW SGs first Sgs have more dispersion pellets actually dont have more dispersion so more easyly get overkill with these weapons need strong base alien needed.
    actually speak supposed NS2 dont ready actually xD dinamic infestation good alien comm ? is posible ns2 a lot of more balanced .
    better speak for these questions for improve better game =D
  • PrivatePrivate Join Date: 2007-06-10 Member: 61204Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714673:date=Jun 29 2009, 01:11 PM:name=asdh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asdh @ Jun 29 2009, 01:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->#23 yeah fine
    skulks dont have recources for kill aim rine
    remember NO recoil is considerate cheats in CS , simply
    no recoil = easy cheap
    get aim is easy
    get HArdcore bunnyjump not easy
    need balanced at start all alien = skulk
    3 min = rine overkill is easy and spamwkill too rines have 200 HP with meds FTW average 150 omg
    wen lerks UP a semiclose map rines have SGs FTW SGs first Sgs have more dispersion pellets actually dont have more dispersion so more easyly get overkill with these weapons need strong base alien needed.
    actually speak supposed NS2 dont ready actually xD dinamic infestation good alien comm ? is posible ns2 a lot of more balanced .
    better speak for these questions for improve better game =D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's seriously hard to read. Try some punctuation, like adding a comma or a dot whenever you feel like placing one. Even if they are placed wrong they still makes stuff a lot easier to read. And drop abbreviations like FTW.

There's never been recoil on guns in NS. It doesn't matter what guns are like in CS. (Also, I actually find it a lot easier to hit stuff in CS)

This has been stated before, but I'll try again. Skulks are weaker, but they always have the initiative (They are faster, and parasite is pure intelligence). You decide where and when to attack. You can use the map, your buddies and even the marines to your advantage. You might be weaker than a marine, but you can pick your fights. You should pick your fights. If you chose to run down a long straight corridor alone you deserve to be decimated. It's not only well balanced in NS1, it's also fairly unique and extremely entertaining.
    If you use your environment right, you can be a quite good skulk without knowing how to bunnyjump. But you have to think.

A good shotgun might be able to destroy a poorly organized alien team. A good fade might be able to destroy a poorly organized marine team. I think that's quite fair. It would be a sad day if NS is 'balanced' so everyone has a 50/50 chance of winning against anyone.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be a sad day if NS is 'balanced' so everyone has a 50/50 chance of winning against anyone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good point. Lets not confuse balance with symmetry. A game can have asymmetric teams and still be balanced. Lets not search for ways to make teams more symmetrical so that we can determine balance more easily. This is not team fortress nor will it ever be team fortress.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714694:date=Jun 29 2009, 02:01 PM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Jun 29 2009, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good point. Lets not confuse balance with symmetry. A game can have asymmetric teams and still be balanced. Lets not search for ways to make teams more symmetrical so that we can determine balance more easily. This is not team fortress nor will it ever be team fortress.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Some symmetry still helps. I really want the teams to be assymmetric, but I can definitely see the advantage of similarizing teams on certain areas. For example the alien comm makes the res models better controllable and more flexible, adding both strategy and balancing options to the game. I see it as a reasonable trade between the asymmetry and game structure improvement.

I'd still hate to see any of the present skulk underdog nature go. Skulking is probably the most unique thingy I've played in any well made multiplayer FPS.
    Yes but making skulks 1:1 with marines is perhaps balanced in of itself but that throws out of wack the balance of everything else. It'd be easier trying to push water back into a leaky tank. I can see the advantage of symmetry, but the genius of natural selection is in its asymmetry and I'd hate to see that ruined. Certain things have to be symmetric for the purposes of having a gameplay which makes sense like resources. That doesn't mean that lifeforms from the Kharaa should be compared to human players with specific upgrades.

Ultimately what is balance? If marines win just as many games as aliens win in a very general sense, it is balanced in my opinion. If skulks are truly inferior to vanilla marines, what's important is that this unbalance is made balanced by another aspect of gameplay.