Online servers

vvishmastervvishmaster Join Date: 2009-06-24 Member: 67911Members
<div class="IPBDescription">what countries will have servers to play on?</div>I'm not sure if this is the right section but it would be really nice if there were some South African servers to play this game online.
Please tell me there's gona be at least 1 SA server then im gona order this game :p

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Just depends on the interest in your region. I'd say that, apart from developer-operated playtesting servers, all servers would be third-party.

Which brings me to a question. Will there be initial test servers (since the devs stated that initially people won't be running their own servers during the testing phase) for people outside of the North American region? (i.e. for those participating in the alpha/beta)
    A lot of ISPs might be willing to host free public servers for games, simply because that's-what-they-do, but also because it gives them recognition/advertising - which may also be relevant to the OP's concerns.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1713900:date=Jun 25 2009, 04:32 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 25 2009, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just depends on the interest in your region. I'd say that, apart from developer-operated playtesting servers, all servers would be third-party.

Which brings me to a question. Will there be initial test servers (since the devs stated that initially people won't be running their own servers during the testing phase) for people outside of the North American region? (i.e. for those participating in the alpha/beta)
    A lot of ISPs might be willing to host free public servers for games, simply because that's-what-they-do, but also because it gives them recognition/advertising - which may also be relevant to the OP's concerns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I already emailed charlie about contacting a GSP for the alpha/beta servers.. he thought it was a good idea :D

As far as South Africa goes, I'm not aware of anyone actually hosting game servers there. I'd assume that hosting costs are more there, making it not as profitable.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    What is the ping like for an SA players on a Euro Server?
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I'm pretty sure come launch, in Australia there will be atleast be 1 WA and VIC server... More even depending on popularity!
  • vvishmastervvishmaster Join Date: 2009-06-24 Member: 67911Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1713999:date=Jun 25 2009, 11:59 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Jun 25 2009, 11:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is the ping like for an SA players on a Euro Server?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If we play over seas its like 400

But there are possible hosts here like SGS, GAMEZONE and IS
  • c3ntauriusc3ntaurius Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43304Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1713900:date=Jun 25 2009, 03:32 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 25 2009, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot of ISPs might be willing to host free public servers for games, simply because that's-what-they-do, but also because it gives them recognition/advertising - which may also be relevant to the OP's concerns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But of course, www.fraglider.pt (Portugal) will most likely have one server(maybe more than 1 depends on the community) running this :)