Filesystem

JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
edited June 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">A good idea from Jedi Knight</div>I wonder if the game is going to have a zip file system that Jedi Knight was using (namely .paks).

This has little to none drawbacks.

Basically all files (models, sprites, maps etc.) will be zips in some directory and game will fetch files by combining data from the zips. The zip wouldn't have to be compressed at all for speed. Besides, this might avoid underlaying filesystem fragmentation.

The great benefit of this is that when you want to try out custom models for example, there is not need for some external model handling program or manual copy paste. Or if you want to make NS2 movies, you don't need to manually create copies of the main directory just to have no-sprites etc. Though this depends on the possible console features.

So to add a map or models, you will just add the zip file to the directory. And when you don't need it anymore, just remove the zip file.

Then if servers upload lots of useless crap, you can remove them easily too.

EDIT: Ups wrong forum, this what happens when you wander around the UWE forums carelessly!

Comments

• 2_of_Eight2_of_Eight Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20016Members
    Yes. Absolutely.

I'm pretty sure Battlefield 1942/etcs did it. Star Trek Armada did, too. Basically, core files are not modified by any customs: customs are added as new files. So, no replacement is needed, and you can switch between your customs and regular easily. It's be great for, say, servers enforcing consistency and those allowing custom models for everything.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    A lot of games today use this method, and I like it.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Ye, my NS folder is a mess even after adding some custom crosshairs. A good system would be sweet.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Valve does it as well but with GCFs and VPKs.
  • frostymoosefrostymoose Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20799Members
  • c3ntauriusc3ntaurius Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43304Members
    I believe the .PAK files was introduced by id software and Quake I. OF course many games use it, and it prooves to be excellent for a better disk performance.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited June 2009
    NS2 supports reading from ZIP files like you mention. Actually the engine even supports reading from Quake PAK files, since that was a convenient way to get test models into the engine when I first started working on it!