NS2: Alpha Predictions

Comments

• CattablissCattabliss Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66803Members
    Pah! as if a terrible, bug-infested rotten apple of an Alpha could tarnish my undying faith to NS!! Im sure the devs are aware of just how long we have been waiting for this. How many of you weren't even sure if NS 2 would ever come out a few years earlier?
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    I hope the Alpha is a tragic mess....

Then when UWE starts getting it fixed people will feel much better about the product and perhaps they won't be so whiney about the little things.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited June 2009
    the alpha should be open to the public for free in order to iron out all the heavy bugs asap... beta should be for final changes to gameplay... not bug fixing.

Ofcourse instead the alpha will be only exposed to people who on impulse thought black armor was somehow better then green and these 10 people will be doing all the alpha testing :P

You know they shouldnt release "alpha" quality code to anyone... i mean their should be a bit of testing on their end to the grade of beta before releasing the official "alpha"... did anyone think getting access to the alpha was somehow a good thing... i mean it might just turn you off of playing the game before everyone else gets the better beta version lol
  • flying_mooseflying_moose Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67676Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1712627:date=Jun 16 2009, 10:35 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jun 16 2009, 10:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Of course instead the alpha will be only exposed to people who on impulse thought black armor was somehow better then green and these 10 people will be doing all the alpha testing :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Once again - I believe the final statistic given was something along the lines of 97% ordering the special edition. So while not free - they will still have a huge alpha player base.

<!--quoteo(post=1712627:date=Jun 16 2009, 10:35 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jun 16 2009, 10:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->did anyone think getting access to the alpha was somehow a good thing... i mean it might just turn you off of playing the game before everyone else gets the better beta version lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I partially agree with your main point - I think most people are over-estimating what the alpha will entail. I'm expecting alpha to be pretty bare, and I'm expecting game crashes.
  • 5emtex5emtex Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67727Members
    First of all black marine armor is just bad ass that's why people bought it, not because anyone thinks its going to be better

Second, yes I do agree that people are definitely overestimating how great the Alpha is going to be. Will it be playable? I'm sure, but its going to have bugs out the ass, not that that's a bad thing since this is the purpose of an Alpha. Problem is I can already sense the amount of whining that is going to be on this forum about glitches, bugs, crashes etc in the Alpha. If I were a dev I would go to the doctor and get a pre-emptive Migraine medicine prescription because there will be a ######storm on these forums from people crying.

Now with that said, I think the idea of being able to play an Alpha release of a game way before it is released to the general public is awesome because you get to become familiar with the game engine and mechanics and even possibly influence certain design features that work and don't work etc. etc.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Didn't even see the black marine armor before buying the special edition. Just saw "alpha and beta access" and allready bought it :p
    And like i said before: UWE is a small startup company, they don't have the money to hire dozens of professional gametesters so the community has to help out and the community seems mostly happy to be able to help out ^^
  • BurgerBurger Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30072Members
    The alpha is going to be buggy and incomplete. Anyone who expects it to be a brilliant complete game is delusional. Like someone said, they are small developers, they can't afford professional bug testers. So what did they do? Duped you guys into PAYING to be their bug testers. Pretty brilliant in my opinion. I personally got it since I've players Alpha and Beta's of various games and I can tolerate incomplete, polished games. I enjoy working with the devs to make it better.

I just can't wait to hear "My ALPHA sucks! It crashes and there are so many wrong things with it. I thought my ALPHA would be finished game!!"

Just like A != B != C,
    Alpha != Beta != Released Content
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Based on my discussions with people on IRC, there appear to be a lot of us who would be happy with nothing more the a large cube with player spawns. Anything over that is just amazing :)

Personally, I'm going to be happy no matter what the alpha contains, as it will have the lua code I need to get started modding :)
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    Hairy gameplay, very unbalanced and lots of fun.
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    As long as it doesn't make players force-shutdown their computers when it crashes, it should be good enough... for an alpha.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1712714:date=Jun 17 2009, 03:02 PM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Jun 17 2009, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Based on my discussions with people on IRC, there appear to be a lot of us who would be happy with nothing more the a large cube with player spawns. Anything over that is just amazing<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Woohoo, less work for me and Andrew! ;)
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    I think it's a great idea to get lots of people into the alpha. The more people you have testing it, the more bugs will be found and squashed and the more balanced the final product will be. I've played games that had a very limited alpha and beta test and the release version was not exactly polished.
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1712749:date=Jun 18 2009, 11:28 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Jun 18 2009, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Woohoo, less work for me and Andrew! ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol
  • Eternaly_LostEternaly_Lost Join Date: 2004-11-20 Member: 32907Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1712749:date=Jun 17 2009, 10:28 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Jun 17 2009, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Woohoo, less work for me and Andrew! ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't forget that less work now = more work later if you are still going to make the release date.

If you do less work on the maps, then you need to do more for the beta, that should have several maps for balance testing, ideally the ones that you are most unsure about.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    I did find it funny watching a gameplay video of StarCraft 2 alpha and see how incredibly polished and non 'alpha' like it was. Ah maybe UWE will one day have that luxury of we don't release until it meets our quality standards.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1713128:date=Jun 20 2009, 01:59 PM:name=Eternaly_Lost)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eternaly_Lost @ Jun 20 2009, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't forget that less work now = more work later if you are still going to make the release date.

If you do less work on the maps, then you need to do more for the beta, that should have several maps for balance testing, ideally the ones that you are most unsure about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think he may have been joking.
  • B1llyB1lly Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26653Members
    I hope devs will put a key to report bugs, it would help, or better, induce alpha and beta player help them.

I mean, it's easy for me, as a player and not a tester, to press a key and write down a description of the bug in a baloon. then it could be recorded in a server log or a client log and sent back to uwe for collection when i quit the game.

something like "race, equipment, location in the map, entities near, comment".
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1713130:date=Jun 21 2009, 12:14 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Jun 21 2009, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713130"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did find it funny watching a gameplay video of StarCraft 2 alpha and see how incredibly polished and non 'alpha' like it was. Ah maybe UWE will one day have that luxury of we don't release until it meets our quality standards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it IS Blizzard. Going out on a limb here, but even with the Special Edition pre-orders, I'm guessing Blizzard has a tad more cash than UWE.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited June 2009
    "Alpha" will really be more like a Closed Beta, with special edition pre-orders getting the invite. A lot of game developers do something similar to ensure that closed beta is filled with players that are enthusiastic about the game.

"Beta" will be a second phase of the Closed Beta allowing the $20 pre-orders to join.

Then <i>maybe</i> an Open Beta will be released shortly before release for the rest of the public to download and play. But it will probably come in the form of a demo.

Frankly, releasing an actual Alpha quality version of the game to the public would be suicide, and do more harm then good.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    I wasn't thinking about alpha ... when i both it all i wanted was <b>Maping tools</b> can't wait
  • ItalianmagicItalianmagic Join Date: 2008-12-13 Member: 65755Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1712713:date=Jun 17 2009, 03:58 PM:name=Burger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Burger @ Jun 17 2009, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... they are small developers...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually believe Charlie and the rest to be normal size.

:D
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
  • Blue21Blue21 Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67970Members
    edited July 2009
    All I expect out of alpha is a relatively good working tool set. I'm sure there will be bugs but I think UW is going to try and release a "finished" product when it comes to the tools. Seeing as they are using them to work on the game, they should be working pretty well. It will probably also be released with the game engine so people can see how maps will look in game. If they have actual game play testing in the alpha <b>at all</b> I will be very surprised. I have a feeling they will be releasing a fairly finished product when it comes to the engine, that <b>however</b> doesn't mean you will be getting the latest build of the engine with all the new features they currently have finished. In my mind alpha is going to just be a release for mappers. Don't expect game play testing, thats what a beta is for. Alpha is more of a "Can they install it and run the damn thing" when it comes to "game play" testing.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715247:date=Jul 2 2009, 11:38 AM:name=oma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oma @ Jul 2 2009, 11:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nanites<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and hovaring scorpians without flapping eh :D
  • LuaPineappleLuaPineapple Join Date: 2008-10-25 Member: 65296Members, Reinforced - Silver
    - Duke Nukem: Forever Public Beta

(We wish... :()
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715373:date=Jul 3 2009, 10:44 AM:name=LuaPineapple)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LuaPineapple @ Jul 3 2009, 10:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Duke Nukem: Forever Public Beta

(We wish... :()<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Being ID Software has been picked up by the same group that owns Bethseda (sp?) it might come to fruition finally.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715320:date=Jul 3 2009, 02:04 AM:name=PhiXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhiXX @ Jul 3 2009, 02:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715320"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and hovaring scorpians without flapping eh :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    bacteria
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1715374:date=Jul 3 2009, 12:46 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Jul 3 2009, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Being ID Software has been picked up by the same group that owns Bethseda (sp?) it might come to fruition finally.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why would that make any difference, given that 3DRealms was developing DNF?
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    I think releasing tools without the game engine to test the results is a bit weird.
    I predict that with the tools will come with some sort of in-game alpha engine to see the results, especially for the map editor.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715473:date=Jul 3 2009, 10:00 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Jul 3 2009, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715473"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would that make any difference, given that 3DRealms was developing DNF?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol dammit >.<

I got the game companies mixed up >.<