water

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
edited June 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
One of the things I thought has been lacking in most FPS games is good water gameplay. For example, in ns1, some maps had water, but ALL of the marines and aliens moved at exactly the same rate, building structures in it only served to turtle the game, and most weapons didn't work. Basically, nothing much happened there.

What I propose would be to make water a bit more gameplay friendly...
1. Lerk, onos and HA would move much slower in it; skulks, and regular marines would move at almost normal speed; gorge, fade (and JP?) would move faster.

2. Certain structures could be built in/underwater, while others could not. There would be limitations, or even advantages, for a few structures.

3. Alien infestation (for aliens), and building electrification (for marines) could give the team an advantage there. Perhaps longer breath, faster movement, or hurting the other team while they are in it. It should be obvious (via a different water color, etc) that the effect is in place.

4. Make at least one marine/alien upgrade be water friendly, giving a player with that upgrade a distinct advantage in water that they did not have on dry land.

5. Provide the ability to see in, and into, the water without having to buy a $500 video card.

6. Optional: Make player movement different and more appropriate in water.

7. Optional: Provide marine a semi-cheap item to breathe underwater. HAs wouldn't need this.

Note: When I say water, I'm not only talking about deep dark tunnels of water -- although that could happen. Even the occasional puddle or flooded room could provide opportunity to alter the gameplay. Maybe even a hive could be floating in the water.

Comments

• LuaPineappleLuaPineapple Join Date: 2008-10-25 Member: 65296Members, Reinforced - Silver
    The problem is that water is insanely annoying-some/ish to do, and even harder to do right. Look at Source, it still hasn't evolved past it's original Quake water brush thing (a few new sfx though, I'll admit, did quake have water?).
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't remember, but the Waterstation / Dam in HL2 was pretty annoying with the repeating square-puddles.

Water is in NS' current State not a good Idea at all. It should only be used for atmosphere, nothing realy crucial.
    I remember one Map that had a flooded Tunnel between a Hive and a Key Area.
    When Aliens lost, you could allways find at least one Gorge down there - and a hail of OC Spikes.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Water was in ns, I don't see why it wouldn't be in ns 2
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    It would be sweet if puddles of liquid gathered between the vains of alien infested floorways. Not enough to affect gameplay, just enough to splash around as players ran. But lets be honest, one dude is making this engine.