Double Pistols

XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Possibly enhances teamwork...</div>I was thinking about the re-usability of weapons in NS, and considered a way to get rid of a pistol drop being a worthless drop. Usually in NS if a rine dies then his main weapon will likely give you ammo or a better alternative, and the pistol(aside from it's ammo) floats. Well, what if we made it so that when a pistol drops, you can pick it up and duel wield if you choose. This would help re-cycle the firepower left on the field, and encourage players to trade out weapons.

I picture a lone marine with a HMG holding off by himself, then another marine joins who is out of ammo. He asks the HMG player to drop his pistol, and then improves upon his basic defense with two pistols. Now, there is a possibility of this being over-powered, especially if the pistol retains its "sniper" tactics with no recoil that it does now. I would opt for a pistol with a higher rate of fire with a large cone of fire. This wide cone of fire works better as a last ditch defense with an alien likely right next to you when you're using it.

Comments

• ozbirdboyozbirdboy Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61827Confirm Email
    Sounds alright; yeah perhaps if a second pistol is grabbed it lowers accuracy over distance which would make it more useful for close combat.
  • gamakungamakun Join Date: 2007-11-20 Member: 62971Members, Constellation
    I could image the double pistols slowing down your ability to switch weapons.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I really like this idea. Great for teamwork and atmosphere it's simple and elegant.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Hm, sometimes you'd prefer keeping the accuracy, but as long as it's noticeable that you picked one up and possible to drop it, it should be fine.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dual pistol rush anyone?

It's got my vote!
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    Yeah, I thought about it some more, and figured it could be kind of classy as well. Kinda like something that describes small bits or character that a game has. Could even more of a novelty kind of kill. Or something desired, which would encourage trade-offs. Just thought I'd mention.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    So the tradeoff is slightly less accuracy for a larger clip size?

It sounds balanced, but it doesn't seem like a very interesting choice to me. Maybe if you kicked up a second pistol, you would be unable to use the secondary fire(whatever that is).
  • chisschiss Join Date: 2008-06-05 Member: 64395Members, Constellation
    edited May 2009
    I don't like this, simply because dual pistols would be FAR better than an LMG. (Although that could be balanced with accuracy, but then no one would want to use it... As your pistol is your 'sniper' weapon for picking off a far away skulk).

This would result in half the players dropping their pistols at the very start of the game, and the other half picking them up and using them instead of the LMG.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    True that double pistols are overpowered as they are now. But you just need to tweak the ROF values, the accuracy values and you can make it a balanced option. However, that would probably mean that all marines have serious psychomotor issues.
  • chisschiss Join Date: 2008-06-05 Member: 64395Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1707171:date=May 19 2009, 01:06 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ May 19 2009, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1707171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True that double pistols are overpowered as they are now. But you just need to tweak the ROF values, the accuracy values and you can make it a balanced option. However, that would probably mean that all marines have serious psychomotor issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As i said, if accuracy was lowered with double pistols, most people would not want to use them, as pinpoint accuracy is one of the key elements of the pistol, needed for quickly sniping a skulk.

Also, how would picking up the 2nd gun be optional? Have to push E on it?
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    Great idea so long pistols become close range backup weapons. This upgrade would just make them even more close range.