Siege map support

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
Whether you like to admit it or not, siege maps were (are?) a popular (sub)culture of NS1. It would be nice if at least a bit of thought and design was put into the NS2 game/scripting engine to support siege maps <u>by default</u>. I'm not saying that the devs have to release any official siege maps (although that wouldn't be horrible). However, it would be nice if the common elements of siege maps could be addressed and made part of the official game and map development toolkit.

First of all, supporting alternative game modes that are recognized by the game would be very helpful in letting people know what is going on. Perhaps they have never heard of a siege map and want to know what it is. Perhaps they want to avoid it. In any case, this would help players know whats going on in a well defined way. <b>I think this is a good idea whether you support siege maps or not</b>.

Also, a common issue with siege maps is that it takes around 5 minutes (depending on the map) before the "main door" opens, during which no fighting occurs. This makes the first part of the game quite boring. As a solution, when the game is in siege mode, and the "main door" has not yet opened, structure building time, upgrade time, resource accumulation, etc. could run at 5x speed. So, the structures and resources that normally take 5 minutes to build would only take 1 minute. When the main door opens, the speeds would go back to normal.

Additionally, starting resource on the siege map often is not enough to do very much building for the first few minutes. As a solution, a game in siege mode would automatically give each team 5 times the normal resources to start with.

Of course, these options could be configured by the map designer. But by being built in, these types of features would provide for a much more consistent and enjoyable experience for both map developers and players.

Comments

• ozbirdboyozbirdboy Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61827Confirm Email
    As you said siege maps are a culture of NS and i think that if the developers don't incorporate it then the community will at some point. The point you mention of speeding up the game so in the first 5 minutes seems like a good idea.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    While I don't think the dev will (or should) develop specifically for siege maps, they are making the game highly moddable and mentioned you will be able to start with prebuilt structures and tech and such(think "use map settings" games). This will make siege maps much better and have more potential.
  • chisschiss Join Date: 2008-06-05 Member: 64395Members, Constellation
    edited May 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1706861:date=May 14 2009, 11:59 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ May 14 2009, 11:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I don't think the dev will (or should) develop specifically for siege maps, they are making the game highly moddable and mentioned you will be able to start with prebuilt structures and tech and such(think "use map settings" games). This will make siege maps much better and have more potential.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seige maps basically remove every element of NS that makes it the game it is.

Although i don't like them, i'm not saying they are 'bad'.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    edited May 2009
    Siege maps:

Siege room || 3 Hives=====long hall======CC
    They could have been so much better
    Maybe someone will make some better ones for NS2 because ns1 looked like they took a weekend make and the creativity of an English teacher