Alien powar/marine powar!

JumpingskulkJumpingskulk Join Date: 2009-05-09 Member: 67377Members
<div class="IPBDescription">alien moves and marine tech</div>ok i was thinking you know how marines have Motion tracking well what if a fade got a new move screech witch scrambles it up and turns off for 10 seconds imagine this marines are walking down a dark hall watching there motion tracking seeing figures move around then suddenly they hear a screech.....there motion tracking is off and fades rush in and slaugter them (aka kill if you dont know what slaugter means) and i mean were it can affect a a certain area (were fade is at and several feet around) so that fades can get in there (for the kill) without being seen and the fact that it would make the game a bit more scary cause you could be taking some blows very shortly....

Marine tech well some of us like to see and others also well what im saying when you turn on your flashlight it can get annoying because it is a small little lit up circle and you cant see very well even with it on so why not nightvison meaning marines have googles (high tech looking) over there eyes that dont show up (like coming down over apart of the helmet) until it is turned on (so marines can see better you know that fun thing we like to do every now and then)

also for aliens i think they should have an ability to see (like nightvison) because they pretty much live in the dark i mean they have to have some sort of power like that from an evolving in the dark!?! so ya comment on what you think and give suggestions to make this better (dont be mean)

Comments

• Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    I got you something for your next post: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . , , , , , , , , , , , ,
    USE THEM!

1. Makes more sense for skulks.
    2. Meh, flashlight requires more teamwork.
    3. That's basically the NS1 alien flashlight.
  • Lumberjack_WannabeLumberjack_Wannabe Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14404Members, Constellation
    1) Any noise signaling this ability would defeat the purpose of the ability. It's interesting, and could probably represent an evolution of the Fade (psychic ability?). Could help with a massive ambush, but doesn't help in solo situations unless the Fade has certain upgrades (Marines shouldn't rely on motion tracking alone to know where an enemy is located).

2) NV could be advantageous as an upgrade to flashlights (less noticeable). The only issue would be how the developers implement dark areas (how dark they would be, etc.), and might just be sidetracked with gamma settings.

3) Classic NS already has this.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    "cough"
    classic NS doesnt have this.. its just brighten the players and structures and makes them transparent, but the envoriment is not better to see.
  • chisschiss Join Date: 2008-06-05 Member: 64395Members, Constellation
    What i think would be interesting is if aliens and marines saw the same level in completely different ways.

Marines would see level as they are designed, with no post-processing stuff.

However aliens, would have a certain color overlay, dynamically tweaking contrast, brightness and color to increase visibility. Essentially it would be like infrared/night vision, but changing based on the current world environment. All map textures could also be blurred slightly (more towards edges of screen), implying they see do not primarily use their eyes to see...
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    for the first point, it is redundant, since as said above, having a sound defeats the purpose of scrambling MT. Marines would know you are coming. For point two, I think flashlights are more atmospheric. Although I actually have no preference between the two, as long as you can't use NVGs in too bright areas. For point three, I think the only important thing you need to see are the marines. NS1 flashlight does that and if you really can't see the environment, something is wrong with your light settings.
  • JumpingskulkJumpingskulk Join Date: 2009-05-09 Member: 67377Members
    well the thing with the fade power is the fact that you know somthing is comming but you dont know from were and its like hearing the comming before the storm and if used correctly skulks lerks and other aliens can use that to jump out and destroy a marine team instead of oh i know were they all are with out any problem at all

the alien type NVG are nice just because i like to see were im walking and you can get the details

marines NVG is nice because does anyone really want to rely on a small little lit up cricle as a flash light? anyone at all?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited May 2009
    The sound gives away location due to its directionality. Use headphones. I can often figure out where skulks are camping when I hear them through the walls.

The alien post-processing idea would be really sweet, but feels more cosmetic. As a rule of thumb never make any portion of the map distinctly forcibly favor one side or the other. i.e., never make rooms completely dark and then give aliens night vision. Also, we don't want to overload the graphics cards, and your original idea is pushing the limits there for the poor Joe with no money to get the more recent cards. Relying on post-processing is asking for disaster in a MP game. Instead, a simple highlighting/brightening would work much better.

Marine NVG would work OK if they're the standard "oh gawds its bright, need to turn these off" type. If they had this as a simple pick-up (3 res?) it would allow for more dark regions on the maps. I also don't buy the whole "flashlights are more atmospheric" or "they create more teamwork" arguments. HL1 flashlights were horrible at helping your team. If there were better dynamic lighting and shared volumetric flashlights then, yes, it would be pretty cool. I'm just thinking of places like in ns_shiva where you run like heck because you'll all die to one skulk if they catch you there and you haven't welded on the lights. And of course, an animation delay so you can't just keep toggling them on and off indefinitely.
  • JumpingskulkJumpingskulk Join Date: 2009-05-09 Member: 67377Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1707532:date=May 23 2009, 08:11 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ May 23 2009, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1707532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The sound gives away location due to its directionality. Use headphones. I can often figure out where skulks are camping when I hear them through the walls.

The alien post-processing idea would be really sweet, but feels more cosmetic. As a rule of thumb never make any portion of the map distinctly forcibly favor one side or the other. i.e., never make rooms completely dark and then give aliens night vision. Also, we don't want to overload the graphics cards, and your original idea is pushing the limits there for the poor Joe with no money to get the more recent cards. Relying on post-processing is asking for disaster in a MP game. Instead, a simple highlighting/brightening would work much better.

Marine NVG would work OK if they're the standard "oh gawds its bright, need to turn these off" type. If they had this as a simple pick-up (3 res?) it would allow for more dark regions on the maps. I also don't buy the whole "flashlights are more atmospheric" or "they create more teamwork" arguments. HL1 flashlights were horrible at helping your team. If there were better dynamic lighting and shared volumetric flashlights then, yes, it would be pretty cool. I'm just thinking of places like in ns_shiva where you run like heck because you'll all die to one skulk if they catch you there and you haven't welded on the lights. And of course, an animation delay so you can't just keep toggling them on and off indefinitely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you have to relize that the fade sound comes in from all directions so that you can not tell from were it is comming from so that marines have an sense of dread as they know that there is a fade near by but i can attack from anywere and this is also a ability for teamwork to