Favorite and best ns map and why

commofdoomcommofdoom Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58205Members
Multiple answers to each questions are allowed.

What is your favorite NS map?
Why?

What is your favorite RT room in NS?
Why?

What is your favorite Marine Start?
Why?

What is your favorite Hive?
Why?

What is your favorite thing to do in NS?

What annoys you the most in NS? (related to maps)

What is the best NS map?
Why?

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1703635:date=Mar 27 2009, 07:21 PM:name=commofdoom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(commofdoom @ Mar 27 2009, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1703635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Multiple answers to each questions are allowed.

Why?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ns_tanith. It manages to be balanced, variable and tactically challenging at the same time. It has so many interesting skulking spots and tactical picks that it always stays interesting.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is your favorite RT room in NS?
    Chemical in Tanith was the first one I thought about. Once again, it has got a huge amount of potential gameplay aspects. DCs, multiple levels, vent bilebombing, ceiling architecture, approaching from cover and the position on the map add quite a few interesting things to consider. I'm confident that there are some more interesting node rooms, but Chem has definitely got some nice stuff.

C-12 in Veil is an interesting node too. It always creates tense situations on organised play.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is your favorite Marine Start?
    Heh, I guess this goes a little Tanith biased, but its MS is nice. It has got a simple but functional architecture, which allows quite a few layouts depending on your preference. NS_Orbital has got unique layout too, especially the 'extra layer' outside the main area offers some placement options. NS_Nothing isn't my particular favourite, but finding a skulkproof layout is quite challenging there.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is your favorite Hive?
    Equilibrium in NS_Lost is nice at least. I'm not a big fan of its baserushing opportunities, but the hive area itself is fun to skulk around. You've got a plenty of opportunities for doom dives and such. Waste on Tanith has got a plenty of skulk spots and the marines have got quite a few reasonable ways to take it out. Those aren't probably the most balanced hives in the game, but they're interesting to play.

When it comes to solid performance, I'll pick Cargo on Veil. It's simply very functional and gives you enough of freedom for group skulk rushes and marine positioning.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is your favorite thing to do in NS?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Skulking, fading and commanding are all marvellous when you're playing well. If I'm forced to pick one, I'll pick skulking on Tanith.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What annoys you the most in NS? (related to maps)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For me it's the terrible performance of Hera and Metal on vista/ATI combination. On maps in general I hate gamma dependency. On public games the imbalanced siegespots(nancy for example) and easily defendable MSes (caged) are a pain too.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is the best NS map?
    The usual picks: Tanith and Veil. Veil has got a beatifully flowing gameplay and functionality and Tanith combines the interesting multi level architecture into great gameplay and balance. The new Origin is awesome too.

Orbital is by far the best custom map I've seen. The new Ayumi_ensl seems to be great too, but I haven't had a chance to test it enough.
  • [PSi]Kal[PSi]Kal Join Date: 2009-03-29 Member: 66942Members
    edited March 2009
    Probly eclipse, closely by origin n tanith.

Nancy - the node in the middle of the map.

No real fav

No real Fav

Win.

bad flow and dark spots.

What is the best NS map?
    Nancy - had the best wars on this map.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    1. ns_hera
    2. ns_veil
    3. ns_lucid
    Why?
    1. Great ambush spots. Great atmosphere. Still balanced.
    2. Eclipse's younger hotter sister.
    3. Intense and unforgiving

Triad.
    Why?
    Same as 1. above.

1.04 eclipse
    Why?
    So much death.

Fusion Reactor
    Why?
    Ascetically pleasing. Key location.

<i>Everything.</i>

Forgetting locations/teammates forgetting locations/No one using waypoints.

What is the best NS map?
    ns_metal
    Why?
    Vastly underrated.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    <u>What is your favorite NS map?</u>
    ns_metal - Long before I was a Playtester or Dev, I was wandering around ns_metal on one of the Constellation servers. This was when Combat was brand new so very few people were playing Classic, but I would stand in empty ns_ servers until other people would join and I could play. However this time Quazilan (the mapper) joined up and I got to walk around the whole map with him, showing him all the things I liked and then made some suggestions from the games I had played on it. In the next release he thanked me in the map's txt file, and that was my first "official" involvement with NS. That and its one of the best maps in the game.

I'm also very attached to Eon, Altair, Shiva, and Machina as I worked with their mappers (Olmy, KFDM, Moultano, and Merkaba, respectively) really closely during their development. Plus it was cool to watch each map transform based on the feedback from playtesting sessions and from player comments. And it was very interesting to see how each mapper reacted to feedback differently, and how the approached the changes they made.

<u>What is your favorite RT room in NS?</u>
    Cold Turn, ns_ayumi. Its probably the worst siege spot in NS, and in terms of gameplay its presence really messes up the game very badly. However the glass hallway with the view of the snow outside, and the layout and texturing of the room is really beautiful.

<u>What is your favorite Marine Start?</u>
    ns_bast - Say what you want about Bast, the redesign of the Marine Start that Mendasp did is really cool. The way you duck below the (now stationary) loading elevator for the lower entrance, and the ramp that snakes up behind the command chair make break up the typical "in one side, out the other side" flow of most MSs.

ns_eon - A marine start that is very defensible, but doesn't drag out the end-game due to its design (*cough* Tanith *cough*). Plus it has giant crates, you can never go wrong with crates

<u>What is your favorite Hive?</u>
    ns_machina - Mausoleum and Tau Ceti. Two of the most impressive-looking examples of mapping on the Half-Life 1 engine (and that comment can be extended to most of ns_machina in general).

<u>What is your favorite thing to do in NS?</u>
    I really like enjoy playing as a two-Hive skulk. Leaping into Bunny Hop enables extremely fast travel, and makes biting down nodes a much easier process (as you spend less time trekking there, only to have that node go back up while you are still en-route to the next one). And anytime you hand me a welder I'll happily wander around fixing Armor and Buildings for an hour or two.

<u>What is the best NS map?</u>
    ns_veil. A new player can learn it almost immediately, yet it's well balanced. Both in terms of the "fairness" of all three hives as a starting hive and in terms of Marine vs Alien wins. Plus it looks really nice without requiring extremely fancy geometry that players get caught on or crazy lighting tricks that make it hard to see.