Control setup by role

DoushibagDoushibag Join Date: 2009-01-13 Member: 66071Members
<div class="IPBDescription">controls change automatically when role does</div>I didn't see another post suggesting this so I thought I'd make my own.

In NS1 I'd bind like my mouse4/mouse5 to chambers which was pretty handy. Although when I was on something other than gorge this was pretty useless and other controls could have gone there. This can be said for various actions like requesting meds, +movement, or whatever. Some people resorted to quick loading a file that would change their controls for when they were alien or marine, possibly even various lifeforms.

I'm suggesting you build this into the game in a way. Have a control setup for each role and have it automatically load to those controls when you assume that role so while you're playing and you're a gorge for instance you're actively using controls suited to that lifeform and then if you die you're back on your skulk controls automatically. For the most part you don't want to need a lot of changes so you can have a default control setup that isn't too complex for players new to NS. But there is a definite advantage to having customized controls for different roles once you setup and get used to them.

What I'm suggesting is advanced players can activate advanced controls that would allow them to create different control schemes for each role. By default they'd all basically be the same, but you could go into the menu and have a tab for each role and you'd be able to adjust controls specific to that role and it would also allow you to simultaneously apply those controls to other roles if you want to change them all for that action. Also building in a list of all 'impulses' in whatever form you're going to have them in so people can know all their options and easily assign them to whatever keys they want.

Perhaps even having a little colored picture of a mouse/keyboard that gives a quick look at which buttons are bound to an action. A simple mouse-over would display what action was assigned to the key for that role or perhaps a larger menu showing its assignment for all roles. Clicking on it would bring up a menu showing which action was assigned to it for that role and other roles and allow you to change it there as well.

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Similar setups are implemented (and potentially can be used in NS2) where different "roles" trigger diferent bindings.

See many games where you have vehicles and special new vehicle controls are bound when you enter and exit. Plus, you can edit the "vehicle" controls independently of the regular controls.

Mind you, this often creates giant tabbed menus to contain all the bindings, which can make it difficult for the player who just wants to jump in. However, it's a solid, flexible interface.

As for the GUI of what's been bound to what, it might be cool to let you know what's already bound in each role, but bringing up a menu to bind that key when you click on it seems inefficient. There's probably a huge number of commands to bind. Easier to search the list of binadables and bind what you want, and use the graphic of the keyboard/mouse to let you know what you've already bound (with scrollover to let you know to what).
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    sounds like a good idea to me
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    This is only necessary if the developers are brilliant enough to re-implement blockscripts.

With that said, it would definitely be nice for newbies to have default control configs (this is a setting you must be able to turn off though).

<!--coloro:lime--><span style="color:lime"><!--/coloro-->Being able to change config <i>by lifeform</i> would be awesome.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • themeatshieldthemeatshield Join Date: 2009-01-13 Member: 66078Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1698559:date=Jan 26 2009, 10:20 PM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Jan 26 2009, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:lime--><span style="color:lime"><!--/coloro-->Being able to change config <i>by lifeform</i> would be awesome.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT

I'm sick of rebinding some of my controls based on what lifeform I am. I use spacebar for +movement, so this screws me up when I'm not fade. I often die early game marines when I try to dodge by jumping, and end up reloading...

If it were easy to have different controls for different lifeforms, NS would be just that little bit nicer to customize to my own playing style.
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    scripts != hacks

proceed.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    oops. sry. I didn't make that clear, I was also advocating by lifeform, not role.

However, scripting abilities (switch out due to 'roles') if the classes are dynamic enough. i.e. Gorge Builder versus Battle Gorge binds might be useful if the class is complex enough, though I doubt it.
  • DoushibagDoushibag Join Date: 2009-01-13 Member: 66071Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1698598:date=Jan 27 2009, 12:24 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spellman23 @ Jan 27 2009, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oops. sry. I didn't make that clear, I was also advocating by lifeform, not role.

However, scripting abilities (switch out due to 'roles') if the classes are dynamic enough. i.e. Gorge Builder versus Battle Gorge binds might be useful if the class is complex enough, though I doubt it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since my terminology seems to be unclear despite the context I put it in I'll clear up what I meant. By role I wasn't referring to a 'builder gorge' versus a 'battle gorge'. By role (a term which was used in the same context with hlstats) I was speaking of Soldier, Commander, Lerk, Fade, Gorge, Skulk, Onos. Although maybe creating custom roles in the other context would be a capability if people did see a use for that. Then have a button that would bring up a menu to choose between various roles to switch to easily while playing the same lifeform. Assigning what lifeform/roles each new control setup would apply to so if the lifeform only had one other control scheme instead of bringing up the menu it would automatically switch to the other and show somewhere for clarity on the edge of the screen which control setup it just loaded. And perhaps in the main control setup menu you could control which control scheme was the default for each lifeform/role incase you started using one more than the other for a given lifeform.
    edited January 2009
    Your terminology was clear. I said lifeform because that is the easiest way to code a menu to control it. You go into options and it says:

<!--coloro:lime--><span style="color:lime"><!--/coloro-->ACTION : : | : : Skulk | Gorge | Lerk | Fade | Onos | Marine<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Then you could assign a button to each action interactively by lifeform.

EDIT: Clicking under "Action" would assign it to all of them and gray the others out (but not disable their interface) to show it was global.
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1698655:date=Jan 27 2009, 03:49 PM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Jan 27 2009, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your terminology was clear. I said lifeform because that is the easiest way to code a menu to control it. You go into options and it says:

<!--coloro:lime--><span style="color:lime"><!--/coloro-->ACTION : : | : : Skulk | Gorge | Lerk | Fade | Onos | Marine<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

EDIT: Clicking under "Action" would assign it to all of them and gray the others out (but not disable their interface) to show it was global.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^^ I like ^^
  • aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1698655:date=Jan 27 2009, 08:49 PM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Jan 27 2009, 08:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your terminology was clear. I said lifeform because that is the easiest way to code a menu to control it. You go into options and it says:

EDIT: Clicking under "Action" would assign it to all of them and gray the others out (but not disable their interface) to show it was global.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wouldn't it be easier if the game intelligently decided which hotkey set to use based on the class you <u>are</u> instead of opening a class menu.
  • DoushibagDoushibag Join Date: 2009-01-13 Member: 66071Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1698655:date=Jan 27 2009, 03:49 PM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Jan 27 2009, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your terminology was clear. I said lifeform because that is the easiest way to code a menu to control it. You go into options and it says:

If my terminology was clear then I'm confused as to why your first post contained two identical ideas to the ones I'd already suggested. Your second post wasn't much better. You'll have to excuse me a bit, I get annoyed when people present redundant information as if it's new and don't add anything. If your second post was more specific it would be better since I didn't bother to create a visual of what it would look like.

:Standard Controls: [advanced button]
    Action------------Key 1-----------Key 2
    :Movement:
    Strafe Left-------A
    Strafe Right------D
    Move Forward---W
    Move Back-------S
    Jump-------------Spacebar-------MWheelUp
    Chat:
    TeamSay---------T

~etc

----------------
    :Advanced Controls: [List by Key] [List by Action] [Single click assign]
    {All} {Commander} {Soldier} {Skulk} {Gorge} {Lerk} {Fade} {Onos} [Save Config][Load Config][add role button] <<--Active one highlighted
    <<--Save config button lets you save all current settings and name it-->>
    {Picture of Keyboard} {Picture of Mouse} <<--Shows assigned keys, mouseover of button will reveal current binded action(s)
    -->> {Q} Quickswitch
    <<--clicking on a key will bring up a menu showing all bindings for all roles for that key and allow them to be changed-->>
    -->>
    {Q}-{Skulk}----[Quickswitch] <--You could click the action and change the key to another action for that role
    ------{Lerk}-----[Request Healing]
    ------{Soldier}--[Quickswitch]
    ~Etc (Not necessarily in that order - probably keep order consistent so it's easy)
    <<--Then if you didn't mouse-over the keyboard/mouse images you could see the more standard way of doing it below

Action------------Key 1----------Key 2
    -------------------------------------
    :Movement:
    Strafe Left--------A----------------------------[All][Mar][Co][Sk][Go][Le][Fa][Ono] <<--Little icons for each role
    Strafe Right------D----------------------------[All][Mar][Co][Sk][Go][Le][Fa][Ono]
    Move Forward----W----------------------------[All][Mar][Co][Sk][Go][Le][Fa][Ono]

~Etc.

The Icons would be highlighted based on which other roles had the same key setup for that action. Highlighted if they have the same key setup for that action. A simple click on the icon would automatically assign the same controls to the role you clicked on. So you could quickly assign the same action/key setup to multiple roles. If you're working within the {All} tab it automatically assign all changes there to all roles. There is a [Single click assign] checkbox that is unchecked by default so it can ask for a confirmation if you're worried about accidentally overwriting the keys for other roles by clicking carelessly on icons. A mouseover of the icon will show what button(s) are assigned to that action currently for that role.

If you went into the assign by key option instead of by action it would instead show an enlarged picture of mouse and keyboard showing what action was assigned to it. Clicking on a key would bring up a menu to change it. Basically working like the smaller one except the larger one would have it written on the base picture what action was assigned to it.
    Then below it would list all the keys and actions assigned to them and have the icons again.

Key-----------Action
    -----------------------
    A-------------Strafe Left-----------[All][Mar][Co][Sk][Go][Le][Fa][Ono]
    B-------------Drop Weapon-------[All][Mar][Co][Sk][Go][Le][Fa][Ono]
    C-------------Map------------------[All][Mar][Co][Sk][Go][Le][Fa][Ono]
    D-------------Strafe Right---------[All][Mar][Co][Sk][Go][Le][Fa][Ono]

Pressing a key in this menu would (assuming it wasn't one assigned to another shortcut) bring you automatically to that key so you didn't have to scroll to locate it. Although that could only be done if it didn't become a burden (moving down in list when you didn't want it to).

That should give a good idea of how it would work.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Make a picture or something man. That's torture on the eyes of someone not as uh, dedicated. Just saying.
    <!--quoteo(post=1698803:date=Jan 28 2009, 08:03 PM:name=Doushibag)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doushibag @ Jan 28 2009, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your second post wasn't much better. You'll have to excuse me a bit, I get annoyed when people present redundant information as if it's new and don't add anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then why are you on the UWE forums.