PC Gamer UK NS2 Article!

CoalehCoaleh Not Pepseh Join Date: 2003-10-11 Member: 21602Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">PCG have done a little article on NS2</div>PC Gamer UK have done an article on NS2!

There's nothing new in it, but it's still pretty neat seeing it there. I have taken a picture of it but its rather hard to read, mainly goes on about NS1 as well.. Some things are wrong too but... meh! Any publicity is good publicity : )

<a href="http://www.magicalmule.com/ns2/PCG-NS2-v1.jpg" target="_blank">Pic v1</a>

<a href="http://www.magicalmule.com/ns2/PCG-NS2-v2.jpg" target="_blank">Pic v2</a>

Sorry about the quality.. I don't have a scanner, it's the thought that counts..

From PC Gamer UK, February 2009, Page 86, by Jim Rossignol

Comments

• marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    Someone may want to inform them that NS2 isn't a mod lol
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    They already know, read the second paragraph.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Teleporter gates and gun turrets are particularly important.
  • aNytiMeaNytiMe Join Date: 2008-03-31 Member: 64007Members, Constellation
    "commanders on either team" - referring to NS1
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    The small detail mistakes really make no difference to the readers who haven't heard of either game. What matters is if the article goes,"This game looks really appealing, promising, and I'm excited for it." All we need is something somewhere saying that NS2 will be exciting, therefore getting new people interested. As long as it holds up to that, it's great publicity.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yep, any hype is good hype. Every game has inaccuracies in previews, what matters is that it earns a place in gamers' minds by the time it's released. Otherwise NS fans would still think it's a pipedream and everybody else would never have heard of it.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Nice.

Btw is PCG UK still doing well? I think the Finnish one went down pretty quickly and in general I think PCG has got a bit more negative reputation in Finland during the last 3 years or so.
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    Something must be wrong with how I'm reading this, I agree with one of Zek's posts.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1697493:date=Jan 12 2009, 02:37 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zek @ Jan 12 2009, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1697493"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep, any hype is good hype.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree. Any hype is bad hype, unless AND until the game lives up to its hype. It's all about expectations. It's like buddhism, or something.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1697584:date=Jan 13 2009, 10:06 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Harimau @ Jan 13 2009, 10:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1697584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree. Any hype is bad hype, unless AND until the game lives up to its hype. It's all about expectations. It's like buddhism, or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everyone expects NS2 to be great, hype or no hype. Hype is just the way to get more people interested in the game and further on more people buying the game. The PCG article didn't have any kind of Molyneuxis exaggerated promises either, it was more of an introduction to the world of NS for those who haven't played it.
    Nah, I was specifically responding to a part of Zek's post - had nothing to do with the article.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    60% done? I'm not putting a lot of weight on it, but I'd believe it too.
  • ozbirdboyozbirdboy Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61827Confirm Email
    Down the very bottom it has "percentage Complete = 60%".

I wonder where they got that figure from?
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    <!--quoteo(post=1697663:date=Jan 14 2009, 06:06 AM:name=Kalopsia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalopsia @ Jan 14 2009, 06:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1697663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Down the very bottom it has "percentage Complete = 60%".

I wonder where they got that figure from?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Estimated guess.
  • gamakungamakun Join Date: 2007-11-20 Member: 62971Members, Constellation
    Maybe they have a spy!
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1697687:date=Jan 14 2009, 05:36 PM:name=gamakun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gamakun @ Jan 14 2009, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1697687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe they have a spy!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *Engineer Voice*"That Charlie's a SPY!"
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1697483:date=Jan 11 2009, 10:43 AM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sherpa @ Jan 11 2009, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1697483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Teleporter gates and gun turrets are particularly important.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You love your TelePrompTer gates and Torrents. They win us games, jim!
  • invader Ziminvader Zim Join Date: 2007-09-20 Member: 62376Members
    id expect the journalist wrote the artical based on a ten minute browse on this site and possibly a five minute phone call or an email from UE. My experience of journalisim (at least local) is journalists dont double check their facts and are happy to fill in gaps cos they'r on tight time scale. Looks like a reasonalbe artical, got good picks, and introduces ppl to the concept and universe of NS

if i remember correctly NS1 featured in PCG, about 5 maybe more years ago. I remeber this cos thats how i found out about ns. I think it was a double page spread, and i remeber seeing lots of screens from commander view and thinking can he really tell real players what to do (cos 5 years ago i dont think anyone had done this).
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1697472:date=Jan 11 2009, 01:15 PM:name=El_Ripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(El_Ripper @ Jan 11 2009, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1697472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PC Gamer UK have done an article on NS2!

There's nothing new in it, but it's still pretty neat seeing it there. I have taken a picture of it but its rather hard to read, mainly goes on about NS1 as well.. Some things are wrong too but... meh! Any publicity is good publicity : )

<a href="http://www.magicalmule.com/ns2/PCG-NS2-v1.jpg" target="_blank">Pic v1</a>

<a href="http://www.magicalmule.com/ns2/PCG-NS2-v2.jpg" target="_blank">Pic v2</a>

Sorry about the quality.. I don't have a scanner, it's the thought that counts..

From PC Gamer UK, February 2009, Page 86, by Jim Rossignol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Awesome! I ranted quite a bit at Jim about NS at a London Games Festival fringe event. I wonder if it inspired him to do this piece...
  • xstation14xstation14 Join Date: 2007-01-08 Member: 59524Members
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    There's no way anyone could possibly view this as being bad hype. This is great, accurate facts or not.
  • gamakungamakun Join Date: 2007-11-20 Member: 62971Members, Constellation
    As said in the movie Anchorman, "60% of the time, it works all the time". NS2 is pretty well developed in a way XD, 60% seems like a decent rough estimate.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    I viewed 60% as in, there halfway across the bridge, working hard to get to the other side. Don't read into it too much.

Good read despite a few inaccuracies that weren't important, more of a, hey there is a game called NS2 coming out that has sweet team multiplayer action, keep an eye out for it!
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    Publicity is important to any game, but when a game is announced you only get so much time to capitalize on that initial buzz, otherwise people stop caring about the game (i.e. Nuclear Dawn- no offense Crispy).

Though it read as a decent article despite some misinformation.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited January 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1698427:date=Jan 25 2009, 08:45 PM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Firewater @ Jan 25 2009, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Publicity is important to any game, but when a game is announced you only get so much time to capitalize on that initial buzz, otherwise people stop caring about the game (i.e. Nuclear Dawn- no offense Crispy).

Though it read as a decent article despite some misinformation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Well I think you're only looking at one side of the coin there.

The most important thing with game PR is awareness. Only a gamer who is 'aware' of a game can 'care' about it. This piece creates awareness where they may have been none. Even if NS2 doesn't release for some time, you will still have created on the one hand some fans who will follow resolutely until release, and on the other hand a general awareness that can be built upon towards release.

Now, instead of some people answering "I don't know" to the question: "What is Natural Selection?", you're going to get a range of answers from the vague (aliens vs. marines) to the inaccurate (some indie game) to the accurate (HL FPS/RTS mod with Aliens vs. Marines, there's a sequel being made by an Indie dev team for commercial release on their own engine). But at least, provided the response is not misinforming and doesn't reflect badly on the game, there is more awareness that can be passed from one would-be player/buyer to another.

I would agree that hype is fairly meaningless until a release is guaranteed. That's something ND has taught me the hard way. On the other hand, while there's still a chance ND can release, it's not entirely pointless that a lot of people are aware of a mod that has not come out since being announced 4/5 years ago.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1698539:date=Jan 26 2009, 02:50 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Crispy @ Jan 26 2009, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I think you're only looking at one side of the coin there.

The most important thing with game PR is awareness. Only a gamer who is 'aware' of a game can 'care' about it. This piece creates awareness where they may have been none. Even if NS2 doesn't release for some time, you will still have created on the one hand some fans who will follow resolutely until release, and on the other hand a general awareness that can be built upon towards release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this point, but Nuclear Dawn came up WAY short (you have to admit this) when they had that count down timer on their website and all it was was a forum. I remember waiting on Vent with the .txt guys, we assumed something playable was around. It was a huge let down to find out it was just a website.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now, instead of some people answering "I don't know" to the question: "What is Natural Selection?", you're going to get a range of answers from the vague (aliens vs. marines) to the inaccurate (some indie game) to the accurate (HL FPS/RTS mod with Aliens vs. Marines, there's a sequel being made by an Indie dev team for commercial release on their own engine). But at least, provided the response is not misinforming and doesn't reflect badly on the game, there is more awareness that can be passed from one would-be player/buyer to another.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, but I would agree that it is better to unleash a game when you have something tangible to reach the community with.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would agree that hype is fairly meaningless until a release is guaranteed. That's something ND has taught me the hard way. On the other hand, while there's still a chance ND can release, it's not entirely pointless that a lot of people are aware of a mod that has not come out since being announced 4/5 years ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope it does release, I think it could be a kick ass mod. Problem is though, when it is released, who is going to care? You guys lost out on your initial hype, you'd have to re-release the website or community or something, to get those people back.
    Heh, I like what Neotokyo has done regarding that. They had some earlier work complete, then they killed their forum and went completely silent, all they had was an outdated website with some cool media, and an irc channel that most didn't know existed. Two(?) years later, they suddenly update their website and moddb page, release new media and a trailer, do interviews, and inform us that the mod is only a couple months away.
  • TheMoldyOneTheMoldyOne Join Date: 2007-07-26 Member: 61682Members
    It would be funny if this games gets 100,000 downloads on the release day lol. I hope it does though.